prerunner bumpers

wayfastwhitie
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 am
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

prerunner bumpers

Post by wayfastwhitie »

I searched high and low for a bumper pic thread because I'm gathering ideas for mine but I couldn't find anything. If you guys could post pics of yours here and list the main tubing size and if its bolt on or welded on that would be awesome, thanks gfb!
User avatar
FUFIMI
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1965 Ford F100 (Señor Mostaza)
Location: Portland, OR

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by FUFIMI »

Check out the build threads. Otter has the same body style bronco like yours and his bumper came out super clean.
User avatar
gunit
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by gunit »

User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by AussieRod »

and my home made one, starting here:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 8&start=60
wayfastwhitie
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 am
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by wayfastwhitie »

I have been Ruben but I'm sick if looking through hundreds of pages lol, gunit I really like how yours came out.
User avatar
FUFIMI
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:24 pm
Bronco Info: 1965 Ford F100 (Señor Mostaza)
Location: Portland, OR

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by FUFIMI »

Haha yea there tons of pages and maybe like 5% of those pages have to do with bumpers.
Jbfab
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by Jbfab »

Heres my homemade, 2" main 1.25" rest.
Image
wayfastwhitie
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 am
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by wayfastwhitie »

Nice I like it!
User avatar
otter
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 pm
Bronco Info: Currently in a holding pattern
Location: Hawaii

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by otter »

Image

Image

1 3/4 tubing. Welded on because it's cheaper than buying bolts :D
User avatar
denhabr
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 pm
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab
Location: Sandy, Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by denhabr »

Check out my Utah Broncospeed build from December 2009+...here: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239

Bottom of Page 2 and most of Page 3 of the thread shows a lot of pics of my prerunner bumper builds.

Here is what it looks like today...
Attachments
Rear bumper and tire carrier, powder coated in Silver Vein.
Rear bumper and tire carrier, powder coated in Silver Vein.
Bumper Powdercoating Results July 2010 (10).JPG (194.7 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
Front bumper with 4 Hellas (2x500s, 2x4000s), powder coated in Silver Vein,
Front bumper with 4 Hellas (2x500s, 2x4000s), powder coated in Silver Vein,
Bumper Powdercoating Results July 2010 (7).JPG (216.16 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
__________________
Brad
Sandy (SLC), Utah

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by SteveG »

Hey Brad, Long time no see!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
denhabr
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 pm
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab
Location: Sandy, Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by denhabr »

SteveG wrote:Hey Brad, Long time no see!
Hey Steve! Yes, true....it has been a long time. Lurking and reading other folks' postings...planning my next mod.

I have the Bronco all packed away for the winter up here. I don't need any further rust kicking off. That, and I've been real busy with work. Commuting to Illinois every week. Bleh. But it pays the bills for sure.

Take care and Happy New Year to all here at GFB!
__________________
Brad
Sandy (SLC), Utah

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by yikes »

Image

Image

Image
kylesgorter
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by kylesgorter »

I like bolt-on bumpers a lot. It's more work and more money to do it right but it can pay off. I've personally seen several fully boxed hardcore bumpers fail at pismo as a result of "lawn darting" and usually it ends up being a mangled main tube, crushed skid and tweaked framehorns that are now all boxed and welded to a bunch of trash material. Bend up a bolt-on and you can replace much easier. A smart fabricator can also design a bumper that can absorb some impact and crush in the event of a crash. Bumpers by comparison are much cheaper and easier to replace than other components. One final advantage I like with removable bumpers is for d engine removal. I've got it down after a.couple bronco motor swaps how to remove the.entire core support and clip, hood, and having a bumper to take off helps so you can easily pull the engine without having to lift it sky high. In this way I've stabbed entire drivetrains from one truck to another in almost an afternoon running to running
wayfastwhitie
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 am
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by wayfastwhitie »

All look great and good ideas, I'm getting a killer deal plus its my ddi so we'll see what happens. I also don't want to spend a bunch of money on bumpers seeing as its not a race truck and I'll be cruising it most of the time.
Jbfab
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by Jbfab »

I made mine so all you have to do is remove two bolts and it folds down out of the way. Makes engine swaps and such cake. Also didnt spend big money on dom, used raw tubing since it is a bumper and it is sacrafical.
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: prerunner bumpers

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

yikes wrote:Image
Really like your work Brian, always very clean and functional.
Post Reply