SteveG's 84-SOLD!
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
This is tonight's progress... the vacuum harness. I started out with the harness out of a 90 then remembered that I had another somewhere in the shed. I dug through a few totes and found a gem... the vacuum harness out of a 96. Finally, all that hoarding is paying off!
Fortunately, Ford designed a pretty nice harness for thee EFI trucks, so cleaning this one up was a piece of cake. The fact that I had the 96 harness to add to it was the cherry on top. The result will be a one-piece vacuum harness that includes very little hose, can be removed or installed in just a few minutes and will be very hard to mix up. All the lines land right by their respective part and plug right in.
All I need to do is add the MAP sensor circuit and put the split loom back on the harness to protect it from abrasion.
One more step done. Only 99 yards to go.
Fortunately, Ford designed a pretty nice harness for thee EFI trucks, so cleaning this one up was a piece of cake. The fact that I had the 96 harness to add to it was the cherry on top. The result will be a one-piece vacuum harness that includes very little hose, can be removed or installed in just a few minutes and will be very hard to mix up. All the lines land right by their respective part and plug right in.
All I need to do is add the MAP sensor circuit and put the split loom back on the harness to protect it from abrasion.
One more step done. Only 99 yards to go.
- Attachments
-
- Vacuum Harness.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: SteveG's 84
Damn, that looks virtually new, right on SteveSteveG wrote:This is tonight's progress... the vacuum harness. I started out with the harness out of a 90 then remembered that I had another somewhere in the shed. I dug through a few totes and found a gem... the vacuum harness out of a 96. Finally, all that hoarding is paying off!
Fortunately, Ford designed a pretty nice harness for thee EFI trucks, so cleaning this one up was a piece of cake. The fact that I had the 96 harness to add to it was the cherry on top. The result will be a one-piece vacuum harness that includes very little hose, can be removed or installed in just a few minutes and will be very hard to mix up. All the lines land right by their respective part and plug right in.
All I need to do is add the MAP sensor circuit and put the split loom back on the harness to protect it from abrasion.
One more step done. Only 99 yards to go.
- flyinbronco
- HuckMASTER
- Posts: 840
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am
Re: SteveG's 84
I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
-
300
- Posts: 647
- Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
- Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.
Re: SteveG's 84
Yeh, I thought you were putting a C4 trans back together.flyinbronco wrote:I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
Bingo! The Falcon is a priority right now. The Bronco started and moved out of the garage but it wasn't happy. That might have been because most of the sensors aren't connected, the cooling system is empty and the wiring is incomplete. It's far along enough that I can move it and that's all that matters right now. I gotta get caught up and I REALLY need to get my daily driver back together.300 wrote:Yeh, I thought you were putting a C4 trans back together.flyinbronco wrote:I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
The Bronco can wait!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- flyinbronco
- HuckMASTER
- Posts: 840
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am
Re: SteveG's 84
SteveG wrote:Bingo! The Falcon is a priority right now. The Bronco started and moved out of the garage but it wasn't happy. That might have been because most of the sensors aren't connected, the cooling system is empty and the wiring is incomplete. It's far along enough that I can move it and that's all that matters right now. I gotta get caught up and I REALLY need to get my daily driver back together.300 wrote:Yeh, I thought you were putting a C4 trans back together.flyinbronco wrote:I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
The Bronco can wait!
So your going to mob the Falcon wagon with us instead?
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: SteveG's 84
Passed by the bronco yesterday after work on fair oaks. I waved but you didn't see.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
Whoops. I must have had the blinders on. I drove it to work for the first time in I don't know how many months. I'd hoped to replace the 1-wire Oxygen Sensor with a 3-wire for the EFI but I couldn't get the bastard out... which is strange since I replaced it several years ago. I just can't remember how! I'm starting to wonder if one of the mechanics at work changed it and not me....
For the moment, it's running WAY rich and the Catalytic Converters are getting one hell of a work out!
For the moment, it's running WAY rich and the Catalytic Converters are getting one hell of a work out!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
Update: The Bronco was on the chopping block once again but got another stay of execution. In light of said stay, I decided to get back on the EFI conversion.
I've been RACKING my brain and busting my ass trying to diagnose a strange issue with the EFI conversion. From the first time I started the engine with EFI, it just didn't seem right but I just couldn't figure out what was happening. I've spent an easy 25+ hours on this... studying electrical diagrams, tracing,testing and modifying circuits, blah, blah, blah. I just knew the problem had to be a self-induced wiring mistake or oversight. Yesterday I decided to clean up one of the other EFI harnesses I had & prep it for testing and eventually to replace the harness I'd already installed in the Bronco.
I thought I'd made a mistake but I was mistaken. After all that nonsense, it turns out I have a bad ECM!!! Ahhhhh! The harness is half torn out of the Bronco, opened all up and laying all over the place. The bad news is, I'll have to pull the harness out of the truck to clean it up again. The good news is, it functions as intended!!! What a freakin' mess!
On a related note, I decided to start building various test leads to use with my 12v power supply. Rather than fighting a bunch of wires twisted together, accidentally short-circuiting components, I can now plug and play. I might also build some switched test leads... should come in handy the next time I need to tear down the Bronco's EFI harness!
I know you guys are all picture whores, so here's a lame shot for you.
I've been RACKING my brain and busting my ass trying to diagnose a strange issue with the EFI conversion. From the first time I started the engine with EFI, it just didn't seem right but I just couldn't figure out what was happening. I've spent an easy 25+ hours on this... studying electrical diagrams, tracing,testing and modifying circuits, blah, blah, blah. I just knew the problem had to be a self-induced wiring mistake or oversight. Yesterday I decided to clean up one of the other EFI harnesses I had & prep it for testing and eventually to replace the harness I'd already installed in the Bronco.
I thought I'd made a mistake but I was mistaken. After all that nonsense, it turns out I have a bad ECM!!! Ahhhhh! The harness is half torn out of the Bronco, opened all up and laying all over the place. The bad news is, I'll have to pull the harness out of the truck to clean it up again. The good news is, it functions as intended!!! What a freakin' mess!
On a related note, I decided to start building various test leads to use with my 12v power supply. Rather than fighting a bunch of wires twisted together, accidentally short-circuiting components, I can now plug and play. I might also build some switched test leads... should come in handy the next time I need to tear down the Bronco's EFI harness!
I know you guys are all picture whores, so here's a lame shot for you.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
bummer - crap like that SUCKS but unfortunately happens all the time. Look at the bright side - at least you finally figured out what was causing the issue!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- robertcrav
- Let me google that for you
- Posts: 4313
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am
- Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies
- Location: South O.C.
- Contact:
SteveG's 84
What a pain...I had an ECM go out in an '86 Capri I had...my issues were intermittent, either ran like a raped ape or an aging orangutan...no in between.
Glad you got it sorted!
Glad you got it sorted!
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: SteveG's 84
Man there is always a dumb set back but youre on the home stretch!
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
SteveG's 84
What ECM do you need Steve? I have a few laying around here.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
Yeah, I'm happy to finally have it diagnosed. The major hurdle is there is no way of testing the ECM. We replaced the ECM in an 89 F350 with a 460 last week and we happened to still have the core at work. The pin-out for the fuel pump relay (one of the areas I was having issues) is identical to the system I'm using in the Bronco, so I was able to use it to condemn my ECM. I also borrowed another 5.8L ECM to verify my diagnosis. It's verified and the truck starts and runs like it never had with the ECM I originally started with... man, is it nice to have that behind me. Now I can actually start to make some progress rather than beat my head against a wall for hours on end! The kicker is I suspected the ECM a long time ago but I just "knew" I'd wired something wrong. When will I learn that I just don't make mistakes!? Ha!!!
90-ish 5.8L Bronco or truck, preferably C6 but any will do, really. What do you have?philofab wrote:What ECM do you need Steve? I have a few laying around here.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
SteveG's 84
I have a 93 AOD-E & an 89 M5R2 off the top of my head. I look the codes up tomorrow.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
I should have specified that it has to be Speed Density and not Mass Air. I left my Ford EFI book at work, I'll look up compatibility tomorrow. Thanks for the help!philofab wrote:I have a 93 AOD-E & an 89 M5R2 off the top of my head. I look the codes up tomorrow.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Re: SteveG's 84
Damn Steve you are a better man then me what a pain in the butt
Nice work
Nice work
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SteveG's 84
I doubt it. I was ready to throw in the towel a long time ago!Blueblood wrote:Damn Steve you are a better man then me what a pain in the butt
Nice work
BTW: I need some heavy stitching done. You still have the super-duty sewing machine?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
