SteveG's 84-SOLD!

User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

This is tonight's progress... the vacuum harness. I started out with the harness out of a 90 then remembered that I had another somewhere in the shed. I dug through a few totes and found a gem... the vacuum harness out of a 96. Finally, all that hoarding is paying off!

Fortunately, Ford designed a pretty nice harness for thee EFI trucks, so cleaning this one up was a piece of cake. The fact that I had the 96 harness to add to it was the cherry on top. The result will be a one-piece vacuum harness that includes very little hose, can be removed or installed in just a few minutes and will be very hard to mix up. All the lines land right by their respective part and plug right in.

All I need to do is add the MAP sensor circuit and put the split loom back on the harness to protect it from abrasion.

One more step done. Only 99 yards to go.
Attachments
Vacuum Harness.jpg
Vacuum Harness.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
economig
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
Location: SW Riverside County

SteveG's 84

Post by economig »

Dude, this is awesome. Very impressed.

:kung fu bow:
T H R E A T Motorsports
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by tcm glx »

SteveG wrote:This is tonight's progress... the vacuum harness. I started out with the harness out of a 90 then remembered that I had another somewhere in the shed. I dug through a few totes and found a gem... the vacuum harness out of a 96. Finally, all that hoarding is paying off!

Fortunately, Ford designed a pretty nice harness for thee EFI trucks, so cleaning this one up was a piece of cake. The fact that I had the 96 harness to add to it was the cherry on top. The result will be a one-piece vacuum harness that includes very little hose, can be removed or installed in just a few minutes and will be very hard to mix up. All the lines land right by their respective part and plug right in.

All I need to do is add the MAP sensor circuit and put the split loom back on the harness to protect it from abrasion.

One more step done. Only 99 yards to go.
Damn, that looks virtually new, right on Steve
User avatar
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by flyinbronco »

I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
300
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by 300 »

flyinbronco wrote:I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
Yeh, I thought you were putting a C4 trans back together.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

300 wrote:
flyinbronco wrote:I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
Yeh, I thought you were putting a C4 trans back together.
Bingo! The Falcon is a priority right now. The Bronco started and moved out of the garage but it wasn't happy. That might have been because most of the sensors aren't connected, the cooling system is empty and the wiring is incomplete. It's far along enough that I can move it and that's all that matters right now. I gotta get caught up and I REALLY need to get my daily driver back together.

The Bronco can wait!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by flyinbronco »

SteveG wrote:
300 wrote:
flyinbronco wrote:I hope the lack of activity on this build page means your working hard to get her running for Pismo.
Yeh, I thought you were putting a C4 trans back together.
Bingo! The Falcon is a priority right now. The Bronco started and moved out of the garage but it wasn't happy. That might have been because most of the sensors aren't connected, the cooling system is empty and the wiring is incomplete. It's far along enough that I can move it and that's all that matters right now. I gotta get caught up and I REALLY need to get my daily driver back together.

The Bronco can wait!

So your going to mob the Falcon wagon with us instead?
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

The Falcon doesn't mob. It cruises.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
kylesgorter
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by kylesgorter »

Passed by the bronco yesterday after work on fair oaks. I waved but you didn't see.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

Whoops. I must have had the blinders on. I drove it to work for the first time in I don't know how many months. I'd hoped to replace the 1-wire Oxygen Sensor with a 3-wire for the EFI but I couldn't get the bastard out... which is strange since I replaced it several years ago. I just can't remember how! I'm starting to wonder if one of the mechanics at work changed it and not me....

For the moment, it's running WAY rich and the Catalytic Converters are getting one hell of a work out!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

Update: The Bronco was on the chopping block once again but got another stay of execution. In light of said stay, I decided to get back on the EFI conversion.

I've been RACKING my brain and busting my ass trying to diagnose a strange issue with the EFI conversion. From the first time I started the engine with EFI, it just didn't seem right but I just couldn't figure out what was happening. I've spent an easy 25+ hours on this... studying electrical diagrams, tracing,testing and modifying circuits, blah, blah, blah. I just knew the problem had to be a self-induced wiring mistake or oversight. Yesterday I decided to clean up one of the other EFI harnesses I had & prep it for testing and eventually to replace the harness I'd already installed in the Bronco.

I thought I'd made a mistake but I was mistaken. After all that nonsense, it turns out I have a bad ECM!!! Ahhhhh! The harness is half torn out of the Bronco, opened all up and laying all over the place. The bad news is, I'll have to pull the harness out of the truck to clean it up again. The good news is, it functions as intended!!! What a freakin' mess!

On a related note, I decided to start building various test leads to use with my 12v power supply. Rather than fighting a bunch of wires twisted together, accidentally short-circuiting components, I can now plug and play. I might also build some switched test leads... should come in handy the next time I need to tear down the Bronco's EFI harness!

I know you guys are all picture whores, so here's a lame shot for you.
IMG_3029 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3029 (640x480).jpg (251.87 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

bummer - crap like that SUCKS but unfortunately happens all the time. Look at the bright side - at least you finally figured out what was causing the issue!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Posts: 4313
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies
Location: South O.C.
Contact:

SteveG's 84

Post by robertcrav »

What a pain...I had an ECM go out in an '86 Capri I had...my issues were intermittent, either ran like a raped ape or an aging orangutan...no in between.

Glad you got it sorted!
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Man there is always a dumb set back but youre on the home stretch!
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

SteveG's 84

Post by philofab »

What ECM do you need Steve? I have a few laying around here.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

Yeah, I'm happy to finally have it diagnosed. The major hurdle is there is no way of testing the ECM. We replaced the ECM in an 89 F350 with a 460 last week and we happened to still have the core at work. The pin-out for the fuel pump relay (one of the areas I was having issues) is identical to the system I'm using in the Bronco, so I was able to use it to condemn my ECM. I also borrowed another 5.8L ECM to verify my diagnosis. It's verified and the truck starts and runs like it never had with the ECM I originally started with... man, is it nice to have that behind me. Now I can actually start to make some progress rather than beat my head against a wall for hours on end! The kicker is I suspected the ECM a long time ago but I just "knew" I'd wired something wrong. When will I learn that I just don't make mistakes!? Ha!!!
philofab wrote:What ECM do you need Steve? I have a few laying around here.
90-ish 5.8L Bronco or truck, preferably C6 but any will do, really. What do you have?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

SteveG's 84

Post by philofab »

I have a 93 AOD-E & an 89 M5R2 off the top of my head. I look the codes up tomorrow.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:I have a 93 AOD-E & an 89 M5R2 off the top of my head. I look the codes up tomorrow.
I should have specified that it has to be Speed Density and not Mass Air. I left my Ford EFI book at work, I'll look up compatibility tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Blueblood
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by Blueblood »

Damn Steve you are a better man then me what a pain in the butt
Nice work
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

Blueblood wrote:Damn Steve you are a better man then me what a pain in the butt
Nice work
I doubt it. I was ready to throw in the towel a long time ago!

BTW: I need some heavy stitching done. You still have the super-duty sewing machine?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Post Reply