Solid axle tech.

User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Solid axle tech.

Post by Nick »

I think it's safe to say that none of us here look down on a solid axle truck. Some fine examples are the Moss Bros, multi time class 3 champs, and a testament to good prep.
Image

Another, while not a bronco is Darren Skiltons class 3 jeep. In his last 2 baja races he finished ahead of most of the class 8 trucks.
Image

So let's see some good solid axle tech!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Silverslk »

I'm with Nick, while we prefer TTB we don't look down at solid axle. Post up!!!!

Solid axle can get it done just not quite as smooth.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
User avatar
Rednek Renegade
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:53 pm
Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Xlt 5.8L 4V H.O. C6, NP2o8
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, So.Cal
Contact:

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Rednek Renegade »

Subscribed!
Project el cheap-o
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Broncodawg »

Subscribed for my 77.
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Nick »

Broncodawg wrote:Subscribed for my 77.
Now get someone to post some tech... :lol:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
magic carpet XLT
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: santa cruz

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by magic carpet XLT »

the tech part is easy:
keep it as light as possible
fit as many shocks as possible
squeeze as much travel out of it as possible
make it as strong as possible
keep it as simple as possible
dial it in as much as possible
78Class3
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Solid axle tech. shock mounting

Post by 78Class3 »

I'll see if I can get some answers here. Is it a bad Idea to fab up the lower bypass shock mount as far out on the axle as possible? Meaning, welding the shock bracket to the knuckle and the axle?
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Solid axle tech. shock mounting

Post by philofab »

78Class3 wrote:I'll see if I can get some answers here. Is it a bad Idea to fab up the lower bypass shock mount as far out on the axle as possible? Meaning, welding the shock bracket to the knuckle and the axle?
The farther out on the axle (and closer to the wheel) the better a shock can perform. It also is best if the shock is as close to 90 degrees from the axle up and down movement. This makes the shock most effective. Of course in the real world you have to clear engines, brakes, length restrictions and deal with off the shelf springs.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Dust »

...back in the early 80's I did a long travel SA Bronco.
Shocks were the thing and all I had was white cans.
I achieved 18" of travel and it went near 50k-miles with only maintenance, zero broken bits.
I admittedly did not race it, I admittedly did abuse it at speed for years!
I'm doing two new SA trucks this year, before I take on my first TTB.
78Class3
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by 78Class3 »

But welding the shock bracket to the knuckle would be fine right....? I may end up with a 4 or 5 degree latearal tilt to the bypass and a slight 4 or 5 degree medial (other way)tilt to the coilover. Do you think this will pose a problem?
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by johncharlesb »

My previous solid axle trucks were an EB, 79 F150, CJ5, Excursion diesel, Cherokee, etc. I am contemplating a solid front build after I get the rear together on my f100. I was thinking of going from front leafs to coilovers. Here are some of my concerns:

If starting from scratch, should it be a three link or a radius arm truck with a panhard? Would a three link provide better axle caster location throughout the travel? Is a three link weaker than a radius arm truck?

In another thread someone mentioned front leaf setups. What are the practical travel limits here? I have a front leaf setup that looks seriously limited on bump travel because of the axle/spring location at the frame. Is it worthwhile to build a front leaf setup? Spring under or more lift for bump? What travel numbers and how well it would work if you justed bolted on springs and shackles then weld mounts for new shocks ($1,300+)?

A solid axle is going to need a longer shock for the same travel versus a ttb. At what or any point is it better to get a larger shock mounted at 1.5:1 versus a longer shock at 1:1?

"But welding the shock bracket to the knuckle would be fine right....?"
I would try to get the lower shock bracket over to the axle tube and the knuckle. Can you gusset the knuckle at the same time you build lower mounts?
MOSS2
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by MOSS2 »

78Class3 wrote:But welding the shock bracket to the knuckle would be fine right....? I may end up with a 4 or 5 degree latearal tilt to the bypass and a slight 4 or 5 degree medial (other way)tilt to the coilover. Do you think this will pose a problem?
I think you should be okay hooking it to the 'C' or the crook between the tube and C as long as it cycles without rubbing the tires. Make sure you try one wheel all up the other down and both ways steering lock to lock. That is not enough angle to change the way the shock behaves to much but it will work the heims in the ends more. Make sure the shock mounts dont bind at same extreme travel and steering limits too.
MOSS2
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by MOSS2 »

johncharlesb wrote:My previous solid axle trucks were an EB, 79 F150, CJ5, Excursion diesel, Cherokee, etc. I am contemplating a solid front build after I get the rear together on my f100. I was thinking of going from front leafs to coilovers. Here are some of my concerns:

If starting from scratch, should it be a three link or a radius arm truck with a panhard? Would a three link provide better axle caster location throughout the travel? Is a three link weaker than a radius arm truck?

In another thread someone mentioned front leaf setups. What are the practical travel limits here? I have a front leaf setup that looks seriously limited on bump travel because of the axle/spring location at the frame. Is it worthwhile to build a front leaf setup? Spring under or more lift for bump? What travel numbers and how well it would work if you justed bolted on springs and shackles then weld mounts for new shocks ($1,300+)?
If you want to be driving it instead of working on it forever my vote would be Radius arms with a Panhard bar and mimmic or use as much stock Ford geometry as you can get. If you know somebody that build 3 or 4 link front rock crawler stuff all the time you might be able to go that route but the steering always looks sketchy to me on most of those. The problem with leafs and links that travel straight up and down is crossover steering. The steering travels in an arc giving plenty of bump steer. This is why stock Blazers and Toyota SA trucks have drag link steering. that try and follow the arc of the leaf in travel. Rock Crawlers can deal with the bump steer of cross over steering and swap to gain some travel. I would get 14" shocks and shoot for 12 to 14" travel. Without spending a crazy amount of time engineering and testing more travel is not realistic. 4 parallel Links with a Panhard would be pretty easy too. One of the guys that helps us on our team has a F100 with a TTB and 4 link and built it in the 80s. Now that is a neat truck!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by SteveG »

MOSS2 wrote:One of the guys that helps us on our team has a F100 with a TTB and 4 link and built it in the 80s. Now that is a neat truck!
That's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I almost bought a F100 on an F150 chassis a few years ago but the body was in really rough shape.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Dust »

johncharlesb wrote:My previous solid axle trucks were an EB, 79 F150, CJ5, Excursion diesel, Cherokee, etc. I am contemplating a solid front build after I get the rear together on my f100. I was thinking of going from front leafs to coilovers. Here are some of my concerns:

If starting from scratch, should it be a three link or a radius arm truck with a panhard? Would a three link provide better axle caster location throughout the travel? Is a three link weaker than a radius arm truck?

In another thread someone mentioned front leaf setups. What are the practical travel limits here? I have a front leaf setup that looks seriously limited on bump travel because of the axle/spring location at the frame. Is it worthwhile to build a front leaf setup? Spring under or more lift for bump? What travel numbers and how well it would work if you justed bolted on springs and shackles then weld mounts for new shocks ($1,300+)?

A solid axle is going to need a longer shock for the same travel versus a ttb. At what or any point is it better to get a larger shock mounted at 1.5:1 versus a longer shock at 1:1?

"But welding the shock bracket to the knuckle would be fine right....?"
I would try to get the lower shock bracket over to the axle tube and the knuckle. Can you gusset the knuckle at the same time you build lower mounts?
I'll venture "my opinions"...
Forget leaf-springs in the front. Mine rides nice, soaks up the bumps and I have I think something like 3" before the spring hits the frame..... Fine in a work truck but a bit harsh in a go fast :lol:

If you have never ventured into Link design then I'll recommend the tried and true Radius arm design.
Simple and it works. It also has the attribute of simply bolting on if you use the factory parts combo: D44 etc. Gusseting the "C" is a good idea and the lower shock mount has been located there many many times.
As Moss mentioned in another thread, the loading on the Track or Panhard can be an issue I never had a problem BUT I was not racing, just going fast. The key thing in the steering is to get the Track and the Drag link at the same angles.

My other choice would be a parallel 4 link with Panhard (5-link) Particularly if you are going to upgrade the axle from a D44 to a D60.

Shock lengths between the TTB and the SA, if the mounting points are in the same place and if the radius arms are the same length will be similar for a given travel number. The TTB can have slightly more droop travel, which at some point "I think" is not desirable. WTFDIK?
Mount the CO and Bypass so that they go 90° a few inches before the bump stops. I would put the Bypass behind the axle if it will fit. It is protected, and it will take less stroke for the same travel, and we all know that when buying shocks you get stroked by the inch :lol:
78Class3
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by 78Class3 »

Front shock mount on solid axle
Here is a pick of what I've been tinkering with over the weekend for the front shock mount. Any suggestions, or critizisms let em fly.
Image

Image
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Dust »

That looks like a 78/79 axle and if so the tube comes out of the center housing and then goes into a cast steel section then back to tube and into the forged "C".
If you weld it to the cast section you should pre/post heat it, and I would weld it with TIG and 308 SS filler.
Not that it can't be MIG'd but you may find it cracking... Why Ford had Dana build this way eludes me.
For a stronger housing over-all look for an F250 D44 in the 78/79 era, and convert it back to 5-lug with your outers. Thicker tube walls, etc, and IIRC it is an inch or two wider, but I could be wrong there.
If I was to do another 78/9 to go fast I would run the F250 D44 front, using the wedgies that several companies sell if I stayed with OE R-Arms, and or a derivative of the "Cage" SAS arm mount if not staying with the OE-Ford arms. I would run GM Knuckles and brakes, followed with a pre-77 D60 in the rear with upgraded shafts; to narrow the rear track a bit over the later rear axles... Hmmmmm... that is exactly what I am going to do with one of the rolling chassis :lol:
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Dust »

Nick wrote: Image
Would I get in trouble for saying that is the single sexiest Bronco ever built...
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Nick »

It is nice, but the sexiest ever built?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Solid axle tech.

Post by Dust »

Nick wrote:It is nice, but the sexiest ever built?
Yup! Flat out!
Post Reply