A pair of 74's...

User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by yikes »

Stinkin' single guys. Geeez!
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yikes wrote:Stinkin' single guys. Geeez!
Unfortunately not by choice. I'd be cool with the project taking MUCH longer to have her back, but it ain't happening so I'm using it as a drive to get some trucks running...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So I just need my spring plates from Ruff Stuff and we can get this party started...
Image
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Dust »

Dan is usually amazingly quick!
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

We'll see. My stuff was supposed to be here yesterday or today- neither of which happened and therefore I am hoping for tomorrow. Not that it will matter though as I'm going to my parents for my dad's b-day this weekend and I won't be back in the shop until Monday.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Brad12 »

Dust wrote:Dan is usually amazingly quick!
X2, I ordered some spring plates and u-bolts from him on Monday and they showed up at my door two days later.
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by bajascott »

looking good steve! glad to see you are moving on....:)
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Brad12 wrote:
Dust wrote:Dan is usually amazingly quick!
X2, I ordered some spring plates and u-bolts from him on Monday and they showed up at my door two days later.
I've heard that from lots of people but honestly I'm not super impressed at this point. I ordered/paid on the 21st or 22nd and just found out they didn't ship until the 28th. So while most people get their parts in 1-2 days mine took over a week just to leave the shop.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So my Ruff Stuff parts got here while I was out of town on Saturday but they aren't what I ordered (and MIG welded) so trying to figure that out before I modify them to fit what I need.
Image

Therefore the cycling didn't begin last night and I finished up the driver side mirror mount instead.
Image
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Since I am again (or is it still????) waiting on parts from Ruff Stuff I only worked a little on the supercab today. I kind of figured out the shackle location, but I need to cycle it with the axle there to watch the pinion change and see how much bump travel I have.

When that was done I went back a bit and worked on my other '74. I have been waiting for more than a year for my buddy to rebuild my d60 front for me and that has been holding up the progress. Well - I finally picked it up yesterday so now I can move on. Since I'm on hold for the rear of the supercab until the Ruff Stuff parts get here I may be back on the crew for a bit - we'll see.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Still nothing from Ruff Stuff for the supercab - so I was on this again last night. I got the rest of the front section of frame wire wheeled and painted.
Image

Then I got the new delrin bushings set up in the shackle pivots
Image

Time to order some bolts and start throwing things back together!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Still nothing from Ruff Stuff for the supercab -
Have you called Dan?
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Just got off the phone with him and got it all cleared up. Still no parts for a little bit, but fine with it as it sits. Now I just need to figure out my rear axle situation. Hmmmm corp 14 or 9". Dang my ever changing mind!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Steve, can't wait to see the crew and SuperBad this weekend. Looking good man.
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Just got off the phone with him and got it all cleared up. Still no parts for a little bit, but fine with it as it sits. Now I just need to figure out my rear axle situation. Hmmmm corp 14 or 9". Dang my ever changing mind!
I have both and a FF60, I'm going 14Bolt; heavy but the advantages out weigh the weight :lol:
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So do I. For the crew that is...

Debating on the 14b or 9" for the supercab. The one thing that is holding me up on the 14b for now is that I might have to machine most of my alcoas to open up the center bore on the wheels. Not a big deal I guess aside from I have 12 or more of them and they all currently have tires mounted on them. That's a bit of a cost factor to add in too...


Dan at Ruff Stuff suggested I get a Sterling since it is slightly stronger than a 14b, and had like 1.5" more ground clearance and then put the 14b snouts/axles/hubs in it so I could machine them down to still fit the 5x5.5 lug pattern. Cool idea for sure, but more effort than I am looking at currently.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Dust »

Berne
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:15 pm
Bronco Info: junk and tube
Location: NW Oregun

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Berne »


hmmm....I hadn't seen those before....VERY interesting...

not sure about the narrows axle 2.5" part though...


find a Van axle and put those on it?

--B
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »


Those are the ones that NARROW the track width by 2.25". Contacted him and asked for stock width and they don't offer them. They said "not enough demand) so I guess all their customers are trail or rock crawler types. While 2.25" may not seem like much the rear end already starts at "stock" width - so I want to keep it as wide as I can.

If I go 14b I'll be having the stock hubs machined.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So I started messing with what will become my custom motor mounts last night. Like I did with the ranger I started with the stock mounts. I forgot how annoying it was to get the vulcanized rubber off of the metal and get these things apart. I spent all night (3 hours??) working on the stupid things and all of the rubber isn't even off yet. Gotta finish that tonight.

I forgot to take pics before starting, but I'll take some of the other stock mounts I have tonight.

Here's some "progress" pics. Once I get the rear end together (got the Ruff Stuff deal figured out and the parts I need for this along with parts for the crew should be here soon) I'll look at getting the motor in and completing the custom mounts.

mmmm - fire melting rubber smells good!
Image

somewhat cleaned up - more to go tonight...
Image
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Post Reply