A pair of 74's...
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
Stinkin' single guys. Geeez!
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
Unfortunately not by choice. I'd be cool with the project taking MUCH longer to have her back, but it ain't happening so I'm using it as a drive to get some trucks running...yikes wrote:Stinkin' single guys. Geeez!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
So I just need my spring plates from Ruff Stuff and we can get this party started...


Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: A pair of 74's...
Dan is usually amazingly quick!
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
We'll see. My stuff was supposed to be here yesterday or today- neither of which happened and therefore I am hoping for tomorrow. Not that it will matter though as I'm going to my parents for my dad's b-day this weekend and I won't be back in the shop until Monday.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- Brad12
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
- Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Contact:
Re: A pair of 74's...
X2, I ordered some spring plates and u-bolts from him on Monday and they showed up at my door two days later.Dust wrote:Dan is usually amazingly quick!
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014
I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: A pair of 74's...
looking good steve! glad to see you are moving on....
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
I've heard that from lots of people but honestly I'm not super impressed at this point. I ordered/paid on the 21st or 22nd and just found out they didn't ship until the 28th. So while most people get their parts in 1-2 days mine took over a week just to leave the shop.Brad12 wrote:X2, I ordered some spring plates and u-bolts from him on Monday and they showed up at my door two days later.Dust wrote:Dan is usually amazingly quick!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
So my Ruff Stuff parts got here while I was out of town on Saturday but they aren't what I ordered (and MIG welded) so trying to figure that out before I modify them to fit what I need.

Therefore the cycling didn't begin last night and I finished up the driver side mirror mount instead.


Therefore the cycling didn't begin last night and I finished up the driver side mirror mount instead.

Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
Since I am again (or is it still????) waiting on parts from Ruff Stuff I only worked a little on the supercab today. I kind of figured out the shackle location, but I need to cycle it with the axle there to watch the pinion change and see how much bump travel I have.
When that was done I went back a bit and worked on my other '74. I have been waiting for more than a year for my buddy to rebuild my d60 front for me and that has been holding up the progress. Well - I finally picked it up yesterday so now I can move on. Since I'm on hold for the rear of the supercab until the Ruff Stuff parts get here I may be back on the crew for a bit - we'll see.
When that was done I went back a bit and worked on my other '74. I have been waiting for more than a year for my buddy to rebuild my d60 front for me and that has been holding up the progress. Well - I finally picked it up yesterday so now I can move on. Since I'm on hold for the rear of the supercab until the Ruff Stuff parts get here I may be back on the crew for a bit - we'll see.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
Still nothing from Ruff Stuff for the supercab - so I was on this again last night. I got the rest of the front section of frame wire wheeled and painted.

Then I got the new delrin bushings set up in the shackle pivots

Time to order some bolts and start throwing things back together!

Then I got the new delrin bushings set up in the shackle pivots

Time to order some bolts and start throwing things back together!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: A pair of 74's...
Have you called Dan?ChaseTruck754 wrote:Still nothing from Ruff Stuff for the supercab -
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
Just got off the phone with him and got it all cleared up. Still no parts for a little bit, but fine with it as it sits. Now I just need to figure out my rear axle situation. Hmmmm corp 14 or 9". Dang my ever changing mind!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: A pair of 74's...
Steve, can't wait to see the crew and SuperBad this weekend. Looking good man.
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: A pair of 74's...
I have both and a FF60, I'm going 14Bolt; heavy but the advantages out weigh the weightChaseTruck754 wrote:Just got off the phone with him and got it all cleared up. Still no parts for a little bit, but fine with it as it sits. Now I just need to figure out my rear axle situation. Hmmmm corp 14 or 9". Dang my ever changing mind!
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
So do I. For the crew that is...
Debating on the 14b or 9" for the supercab. The one thing that is holding me up on the 14b for now is that I might have to machine most of my alcoas to open up the center bore on the wheels. Not a big deal I guess aside from I have 12 or more of them and they all currently have tires mounted on them. That's a bit of a cost factor to add in too...
Dan at Ruff Stuff suggested I get a Sterling since it is slightly stronger than a 14b, and had like 1.5" more ground clearance and then put the 14b snouts/axles/hubs in it so I could machine them down to still fit the 5x5.5 lug pattern. Cool idea for sure, but more effort than I am looking at currently.
Debating on the 14b or 9" for the supercab. The one thing that is holding me up on the 14b for now is that I might have to machine most of my alcoas to open up the center bore on the wheels. Not a big deal I guess aside from I have 12 or more of them and they all currently have tires mounted on them. That's a bit of a cost factor to add in too...
Dan at Ruff Stuff suggested I get a Sterling since it is slightly stronger than a 14b, and had like 1.5" more ground clearance and then put the 14b snouts/axles/hubs in it so I could machine them down to still fit the 5x5.5 lug pattern. Cool idea for sure, but more effort than I am looking at currently.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Re: A pair of 74's...
Dust wrote:Possible?
http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc ... ategory=11
hmmm....I hadn't seen those before....VERY interesting...
not sure about the narrows axle 2.5" part though...
find a Van axle and put those on it?
--B
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
Dust wrote:Possible?
http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc ... ategory=11
Those are the ones that NARROW the track width by 2.25". Contacted him and asked for stock width and they don't offer them. They said "not enough demand) so I guess all their customers are trail or rock crawler types. While 2.25" may not seem like much the rear end already starts at "stock" width - so I want to keep it as wide as I can.
If I go 14b I'll be having the stock hubs machined.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: A pair of 74's...
So I started messing with what will become my custom motor mounts last night. Like I did with the ranger I started with the stock mounts. I forgot how annoying it was to get the vulcanized rubber off of the metal and get these things apart. I spent all night (3 hours??) working on the stupid things and all of the rubber isn't even off yet. Gotta finish that tonight.
I forgot to take pics before starting, but I'll take some of the other stock mounts I have tonight.
Here's some "progress" pics. Once I get the rear end together (got the Ruff Stuff deal figured out and the parts I need for this along with parts for the crew should be here soon) I'll look at getting the motor in and completing the custom mounts.
mmmm - fire melting rubber smells good!

somewhat cleaned up - more to go tonight...

I forgot to take pics before starting, but I'll take some of the other stock mounts I have tonight.
Here's some "progress" pics. Once I get the rear end together (got the Ruff Stuff deal figured out and the parts I need for this along with parts for the crew should be here soon) I'll look at getting the motor in and completing the custom mounts.
mmmm - fire melting rubber smells good!

somewhat cleaned up - more to go tonight...

Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
