Brian's '96
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Brian's '96
GFB Resident ROCKSTART!
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Brian's '96
That's why I'm interested in your 10.25/60 hybrid. May be the cheapest route to FF.philofab wrote:I had the same problems with my 9" rear Brian. I lost wheel bearings constantly... they seemed to last about 5k miles.
You still having pinion bearing problems too?
No pinion issues.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
But aren't the 14 bolt and the Sterlings all cast center sections? What's the plan weld the tubes, and slap a truss on it? Is the sterling rosette welded like the 8.8's? If so I think welding the tubes and doing the d60's is definitely a solid step in the right direction.
- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: Brian's '96
Why a Sterling? They are heavier than shit with poor ground clearance. Yes they are cheap, but for the same money you could put the 60 snouts on a 9" housing. Gusseting a 9" housing isn't any more work than welding the tubes and gusseting a Sterling.
And the tubes do come out of the Sterling's pretty easy.........
And the tubes do come out of the Sterling's pretty easy.........
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Brian's '96
Because nothing is cheaper than what's already owned. Not that heavy. Big, yes. Barstow race course and Baja silt don't like it at all. Tubes are welded and it's trussed.BDKW1 wrote:Why a Sterling?
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
Ground clearance is 2" less than a 9". I will scale the Sterling after it's assembled, I weighed my trussed 9" and it was hella heavy too.BDKW1 wrote:Why a Sterling? They are heavier than shit with poor ground clearance. Yes they are cheap, but for the same money you could put the 60 snouts on a 9" housing. Gusseting a 9" housing isn't any more work than welding the tubes and gusseting a Sterling.
And the tubes do come out of the Sterling's pretty easy.........
I'm surprised the tubes pull out of Sterlings, as they have like 4 plug welds per side. I have never had any issues with any of the Sterlings I've had. I just wanted something bigger as I kept destroying 9" crap. Changing R+P was getting old, and I couldn't afford a 10" setup.
- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: Brian's '96
I will bet that the Sterling is 100#'s heavier than the 9.
How are you breaking that many 9's? We ran one on the 8 truck for years without issue. 650HP 5500# truck with 37's. No load bolt either. Finally upgraded to a 10" with the new motor, but still......
How are you breaking that many 9's? We ran one on the 8 truck for years without issue. 650HP 5500# truck with 37's. No load bolt either. Finally upgraded to a 10" with the new motor, but still......
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
Manual trans or lots of mileage maybe? Truck got 65,000 miles over the course of that 9". I did tow with it too.BDKW1 wrote:How are you breaking that many 9's? We ran one on the 8 truck for years without issue. 650HP 5500# truck with 37's. No load bolt either. Finally upgraded to a 10" with the new motor, but still......
Lets see... lost a pinion seal and bearings, broke a case, went through 3 4.56 R&P. Broke a driveline, one trans, and went through 5 pairs of wheel bearings/seals.
Truck only had a 5.0 with bolt ons. Maybe 300hp at the flywheel on a good day. Maybe I just suck at driving.
- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: Brian's '96
The only thing I see in there that is stress related would be the R&P failures and the case. Even then, 4.56 is not the strongest gear. 4.88 or 4.10's are much stronger. An auto probably would have made that live. Wheel bearings, yeah, you got Me there, they were good for less than a year on the Barge.
I just can't see strapping all the extra unsprung weight onto a vehicle.
I just can't see strapping all the extra unsprung weight onto a vehicle.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
For the record, 9", nodular Yukon case, drum brakes, Giant truss, fluid, factory housing, 4.56 gears, 272 pounds.
I will weight the Sterling once it's welded up and assembled. I'm guessing in the 300 pound range.
I will weight the Sterling once it's welded up and assembled. I'm guessing in the 300 pound range.
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Brian's '96
Two weeks to Pismo and....oh man. Not sure if it'll be ready. Switching to a 3 bolt 3rd member and going back to an LS in the front. Don't like how it handles at speed with an open carrier. Have a Dutchman axle ordered, a new drive shaft and still waiting for the differential and overhaul kit to arrive.

Ported the slip yoke. This was more than enough clearance and didn't have to remove too much material.

Blasted the housing, chased all the threads and painted it up.


Ported the slip yoke. This was more than enough clearance and didn't have to remove too much material.

Blasted the housing, chased all the threads and painted it up.

- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
Nice! Is that a new style slip yoke axle connected to the bolt in side? Or just the newer style boot?
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Brian's '96
Just the boot. Still debating whether to use it or put the old style seal on.philofab wrote:Nice! Is that a new style slip yoke axle connected to the bolt in side? Or just the newer style boot?
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Brian's '96
The Dutchman axle arrived yesterday. It looks great. The finish where it's undercut for the seal is around 4-8 and the radius transitions are free of stress risers. Splines are ground smooth without the chatter common in hobbing. The do good work there for sure. There is a problem with the splines though. The OD is about .020 under the factory axle and there is significant play (The reason I was ordering an axle to begin with was excessive wear in the male splines). Contact angle appears correct. Slip yoke shows almost no signs of wear. I'm not certain if this was an error in ordering on my part, or what. I specified number of splines, D44 IFS and vehicle mfr, model and year. Dutchman seemed to be very familiar with it. Will call today and see what they say.
Picked up a new driveshaft from CJ Tatton. Wanted to give them a try because their pricing is very competitive and I've heard good things about them. Also want to try the small diameter tube for clearance and reduced noise transfer through the drivetrain with the thicker wall tube.

Finished dolling up and rebuilding the axles. Also have the beam housing prepped to clock the third member. Just waiting on the Tru Trac to get things assembled.

Picked up a new driveshaft from CJ Tatton. Wanted to give them a try because their pricing is very competitive and I've heard good things about them. Also want to try the small diameter tube for clearance and reduced noise transfer through the drivetrain with the thicker wall tube.

Finished dolling up and rebuilding the axles. Also have the beam housing prepped to clock the third member. Just waiting on the Tru Trac to get things assembled.

- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Brian's '96
Man, this is like real prep work!
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Brian's '96
Welllll, never made it to Pismo. A $2 part held up the show. Didn't think getting an oil slinger would take so long. During the downtime I made a mudflap bracket. Woohoooooo!! Planning to put new shafts in the rear shocks and wanted some protection before hand. The rear end takes a serious pummeling, so rather than putting boots on the shocks, decided to go Yosemite Sam style. I think there are going to be more strategically placed guards going on in the future. Maybe even some chrome women for a classy touch.




- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
Love it. I want one!
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Brian's '96
I remember that style of mudflap being popular in the early 2000s. Not sure why people got away from it.
- cypher
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:33 pm
- Bronco Info: 1994 Ford Bronco w/ Southwest Performance suspension
Re: Brian's '96
I love this protection flap. If I still had my bronco this would be my next project. Nicely executed!



