Camping water jugs

User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Camping water jugs

Post by SteveG »

This a random question, but before I go buy some and figure out I don't like them, what do you guys use for water containers/dispensers when camping? I was thinking some of the tall & slender type would pack and store easily.

Anyone have a recommendation? Is there something I should avoid.

I was thinking something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Prod ... ductDetail
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Nick »

Get the tall slender ones. I have the wider 6 gal cubes, and they take up too much space.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
redwagon
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by redwagon »

I use the collapsible type, easy to store when not in use.
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Polarcub »

The taller ones store easily but I use 1 of the cubes and 2 of the taller ones. The cubes have a nice spigot that makes waashing hands and getting water alot easier IMO especially with kids. The collapsible ones are good for storage between trips but I have had issues with them drying out after trips and they seem to be less durable.
I use the cube on the tailgate or table and then add to it as necessary. For me its worth the extra space. I am planning on building a rack for my trailer though that will use a larger RV style tank with gravity feed I just have not gotten their yet though.
Jeremy
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by baja-chris »

I use the ones like the link above, they fit standard gerry can holders so I can switch up the mix of fuel cans or water cans based on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I almost always keep 6 gal of water on board, enough to keep you alive for a few days in a worst case scenario. Have not changed it in a couple years, bet it tastes good by now!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by SteveG »

baja-chris wrote:Have not changed it in a couple years, bet it tastes good by now!
I'm sure it's aged well!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by PaulW »

The Blue one is good - not a leaker and it has a very good spigot. Not very handy to package for some people. The tall slim one is also good (strong) and does not leak. The blue one is easiest to use for camping since it is easier get the water out without spilling. Just put it on the tailgate for easy use. I ruined a blue one because I sat it on something and the pounding resulted in a crack in the plastic. The tall one will fit the standard jerry can base like Chris uses. WM also sells a nice 3 gal unit at the RO stand. It has a spigot that leaks if pointed down on the washboard roads. Does not leak in a static situation. Stand it up and the filler cap leaks unless you get a good one or make a gasket. Its a handy size and once the leak is fixed it is the one I prefer for day trips. Eash to lift and refill water bottles etc. Not as sturdy as the blue or slim above. I also have a 2 gal with a non leaking pinch spigot that I use in the shop for drinking water on an occasional wet rag. Way to flimsey for use in the off road rigs.
Another option is the metal NATO can designed for water. It is the same design as the NATO gas cans. I found one on a Rover site, but decided it was to pricey. These things are the strongest things available. Both water & gas versions are avilable on the web, used from the euro countries for a very low price. They all need a new gasket for a dollar via the web. They totally seal even when full of gas on a hot day. Search the web of the source. I think I paid $20 for the ones I bought.
Paul
User avatar
billy1911
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:04 am

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by billy1911 »

I buy the 2.5 gal drinking water ones at the store. Then through them away when I'm done.
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by shockseals.com »

I took a blue cube with spigot on a trail run and I was told the seams on them suck and I would probably end up with a blown out jug and a watered down cargo area. Anybody else ever have this experience or was this just one person's bad experience?

My rack now carries a 5 gallon nato can for water so it is no longer in the cargo area.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Polarcub »

I have been using the blue ones for the last 10 years or so and I have never experienced a blown out seam. I dont take the best care of them either but if your going to have one in the back of a vehicle I would be careful to strap it in so its not banging around. Usually mine are in the back or the trailer until we get to camp.
Jeremy
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by SteveG »

Polarcub wrote:I have been using the blue ones for the last 10 years or so....
What brand are they?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Polarcub »

Off the top of my head I couldnt tell you steve but I will look later today to see if its on there. They are the square blue ones that wal mart has they are 10-15 dollars and the spigot stores inside the jug. Like I said I like to use one of these with of the green gas can style ones. The gas can style are not as durable but much easier to store/haul. I used those in my aquarium business to haul around saltwater.
Jeremy
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by shockseals.com »

Polarcub wrote:I have been using the blue ones for the last 10 years or so and I have never experienced a blown out seam.

Good to know
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
Wood
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:30 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Wood »

Steve,
I've been using these at work for a few years (the same two are still going strong). They are awesome, made of a super strong rigid plastic. You can drop one full of 5 gallons of water, no problems. Wide mouth make them easy/fast to pour out....although, that might not be an advantage for camping...I use them to refill water jugs...they work perfect for that. They also fit jerry can holders, so that might be helpful for securing them.

I don't know where to get them really, the writing is all in german, so I just googled "german water can".

http://store.colemans.com/cart/water-ca ... -2209.html
User avatar
Wood
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:30 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Wood »

oh...and you can totally lay them flat with no leakage.
User avatar
Agilt
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:23 pm
Bronco Info: '96 Bronco
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Agilt »

We used four of the collapsible 5 gal ones ( I want to say reliant, but can't remember. They had red spouts and handles) this year to refill my dads fifth wheel at no hookup sites, no issues with them leaking or breaking.


I've also got seven of the 7 gallon blue containers like this that we keep at home for hurricane season.
Image
No issues with those either and they made it through Ike fine, but we don't travel with them so no experience with them in that arena.
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Polarcub »

Those blue ones above ar ethe ones I get at walmart.
Jeremy
User avatar
usmcgunrock
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 pm
Bronco Info: No Bronco, just an Explorer
Location: Murrieta, CA

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by usmcgunrock »

I just use the military issue plastic jerry cans. Not much help I know.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by SteveG »

Polarcub wrote:Those blue ones above ar ethe ones I get at walmart.
I bought one of these a few months ago and finally got around to using it. It worked great and we used the hell out of it. I plan to pick up one more....

Thanks for the help, fellas!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Dezertbronco
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
Location: Highland, CA.

Re: Camping water jugs

Post by Dezertbronco »

shockseals.com wrote:I took a blue cube with spigot on a trail run and I was told the seams on them suck and I would probably end up with a blown out jug and a watered down cargo area. Anybody else ever have this experience or was this just one person's bad experience?

My rack now carries a 5 gallon nato can for water so it is no longer in the cargo area.
Yes I had one burst at the seams on my mojave road trip. wet sleepong bags suck. I am going to be using Rotopax on my next trip.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
Post Reply