Camping water jugs
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Camping water jugs
This a random question, but before I go buy some and figure out I don't like them, what do you guys use for water containers/dispensers when camping? I was thinking some of the tall & slender type would pack and store easily.
Anyone have a recommendation? Is there something I should avoid.
I was thinking something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Prod ... ductDetail
Anyone have a recommendation? Is there something I should avoid.
I was thinking something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Prod ... ductDetail
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Camping water jugs
Get the tall slender ones. I have the wider 6 gal cubes, and they take up too much space.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Re: Camping water jugs
I use the collapsible type, easy to store when not in use.
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Camping water jugs
The taller ones store easily but I use 1 of the cubes and 2 of the taller ones. The cubes have a nice spigot that makes waashing hands and getting water alot easier IMO especially with kids. The collapsible ones are good for storage between trips but I have had issues with them drying out after trips and they seem to be less durable.
I use the cube on the tailgate or table and then add to it as necessary. For me its worth the extra space. I am planning on building a rack for my trailer though that will use a larger RV style tank with gravity feed I just have not gotten their yet though.
I use the cube on the tailgate or table and then add to it as necessary. For me its worth the extra space. I am planning on building a rack for my trailer though that will use a larger RV style tank with gravity feed I just have not gotten their yet though.
Jeremy
- baja-chris
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm
Re: Camping water jugs
I use the ones like the link above, they fit standard gerry can holders so I can switch up the mix of fuel cans or water cans based on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I almost always keep 6 gal of water on board, enough to keep you alive for a few days in a worst case scenario. Have not changed it in a couple years, bet it tastes good by now!
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Camping water jugs
I'm sure it's aged well!baja-chris wrote:Have not changed it in a couple years, bet it tastes good by now!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Re: Camping water jugs
The Blue one is good - not a leaker and it has a very good spigot. Not very handy to package for some people. The tall slim one is also good (strong) and does not leak. The blue one is easiest to use for camping since it is easier get the water out without spilling. Just put it on the tailgate for easy use. I ruined a blue one because I sat it on something and the pounding resulted in a crack in the plastic. The tall one will fit the standard jerry can base like Chris uses. WM also sells a nice 3 gal unit at the RO stand. It has a spigot that leaks if pointed down on the washboard roads. Does not leak in a static situation. Stand it up and the filler cap leaks unless you get a good one or make a gasket. Its a handy size and once the leak is fixed it is the one I prefer for day trips. Eash to lift and refill water bottles etc. Not as sturdy as the blue or slim above. I also have a 2 gal with a non leaking pinch spigot that I use in the shop for drinking water on an occasional wet rag. Way to flimsey for use in the off road rigs.
Another option is the metal NATO can designed for water. It is the same design as the NATO gas cans. I found one on a Rover site, but decided it was to pricey. These things are the strongest things available. Both water & gas versions are avilable on the web, used from the euro countries for a very low price. They all need a new gasket for a dollar via the web. They totally seal even when full of gas on a hot day. Search the web of the source. I think I paid $20 for the ones I bought.
Paul
Another option is the metal NATO can designed for water. It is the same design as the NATO gas cans. I found one on a Rover site, but decided it was to pricey. These things are the strongest things available. Both water & gas versions are avilable on the web, used from the euro countries for a very low price. They all need a new gasket for a dollar via the web. They totally seal even when full of gas on a hot day. Search the web of the source. I think I paid $20 for the ones I bought.
Paul
Re: Camping water jugs
I buy the 2.5 gal drinking water ones at the store. Then through them away when I'm done.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: Camping water jugs
I took a blue cube with spigot on a trail run and I was told the seams on them suck and I would probably end up with a blown out jug and a watered down cargo area. Anybody else ever have this experience or was this just one person's bad experience?
My rack now carries a 5 gallon nato can for water so it is no longer in the cargo area.
My rack now carries a 5 gallon nato can for water so it is no longer in the cargo area.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Camping water jugs
I have been using the blue ones for the last 10 years or so and I have never experienced a blown out seam. I dont take the best care of them either but if your going to have one in the back of a vehicle I would be careful to strap it in so its not banging around. Usually mine are in the back or the trailer until we get to camp.
Jeremy
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Camping water jugs
What brand are they?Polarcub wrote:I have been using the blue ones for the last 10 years or so....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Camping water jugs
Off the top of my head I couldnt tell you steve but I will look later today to see if its on there. They are the square blue ones that wal mart has they are 10-15 dollars and the spigot stores inside the jug. Like I said I like to use one of these with of the green gas can style ones. The gas can style are not as durable but much easier to store/haul. I used those in my aquarium business to haul around saltwater.
Jeremy
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: Camping water jugs
Polarcub wrote:I have been using the blue ones for the last 10 years or so and I have never experienced a blown out seam.
Good to know
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
Re: Camping water jugs
Steve,
I've been using these at work for a few years (the same two are still going strong). They are awesome, made of a super strong rigid plastic. You can drop one full of 5 gallons of water, no problems. Wide mouth make them easy/fast to pour out....although, that might not be an advantage for camping...I use them to refill water jugs...they work perfect for that. They also fit jerry can holders, so that might be helpful for securing them.
I don't know where to get them really, the writing is all in german, so I just googled "german water can".
http://store.colemans.com/cart/water-ca ... -2209.html
I've been using these at work for a few years (the same two are still going strong). They are awesome, made of a super strong rigid plastic. You can drop one full of 5 gallons of water, no problems. Wide mouth make them easy/fast to pour out....although, that might not be an advantage for camping...I use them to refill water jugs...they work perfect for that. They also fit jerry can holders, so that might be helpful for securing them.
I don't know where to get them really, the writing is all in german, so I just googled "german water can".
http://store.colemans.com/cart/water-ca ... -2209.html
Re: Camping water jugs
oh...and you can totally lay them flat with no leakage.
Re: Camping water jugs
We used four of the collapsible 5 gal ones ( I want to say reliant, but can't remember. They had red spouts and handles) this year to refill my dads fifth wheel at no hookup sites, no issues with them leaking or breaking.
I've also got seven of the 7 gallon blue containers like this that we keep at home for hurricane season.

No issues with those either and they made it through Ike fine, but we don't travel with them so no experience with them in that arena.
I've also got seven of the 7 gallon blue containers like this that we keep at home for hurricane season.

No issues with those either and they made it through Ike fine, but we don't travel with them so no experience with them in that arena.
- usmcgunrock
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 pm
- Bronco Info: No Bronco, just an Explorer
- Location: Murrieta, CA
Re: Camping water jugs
I just use the military issue plastic jerry cans. Not much help I know.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Camping water jugs
I bought one of these a few months ago and finally got around to using it. It worked great and we used the hell out of it. I plan to pick up one more....Polarcub wrote:Those blue ones above ar ethe ones I get at walmart.
Thanks for the help, fellas!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: Camping water jugs
Yes I had one burst at the seams on my mojave road trip. wet sleepong bags suck. I am going to be using Rotopax on my next trip.shockseals.com wrote:I took a blue cube with spigot on a trail run and I was told the seams on them suck and I would probably end up with a blown out jug and a watered down cargo area. Anybody else ever have this experience or was this just one person's bad experience?
My rack now carries a 5 gallon nato can for water so it is no longer in the cargo area.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
