Nighthawk!

User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

There's a guy selling a new pair, just mocked up, pair of 14"s with 450/600 coils. Is that too stiff for the front? He's asking 1250 but I'll offer less.
WCCStrokinItRacing
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am
Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build
Location: Redlands, CA

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by WCCStrokinItRacing »

Rmc wrote:I bought a new set of deaver q80's. They were actually intended for my next build but I'm going back n forth over running them on my bronco and getting another set later on.
I run Q80's on mine with 12" by-passes. Let me tell you... doing 50-60 mph through woops as if they aren't even there... I love them! Also my spring rate on front is 300 over 400 adjusted all the way out. It is just a tick soft but I have all kinds of adjustment to stiffen up if needed. From the stuff I have put my rig through along with jumping it, it seems to be set up just right for my taste.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by Rmc »

WCCStrokinItRacing wrote:
Rmc wrote:I bought a new set of deaver q80's. They were actually intended for my next build but I'm going back n forth over running them on my bronco and getting another set later on.
I run Q80's on mine with 12" by-passes. Let me tell you... doing 50-60 mph through woops as if they aren't even there... I love them! Also my spring rate on front is 300 over 400 adjusted all the way out. It is just a tick soft but I have all kinds of adjustment to stiffen up if needed. From the stuff I have put my rig through along with jumping it, it seems to be set up just right for my taste.
I'm going to install the q80's after all, the national pack seems too soft to me. Glad I already bought them, they will be installed soon.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

I've read the spring rate thread and a lot of people lean towards 350/500 or 400/450 or 450/500 or 500/500. Some had mentioned the 450/600. Mine does have the 5.8 so some extra weight there. I'm trying to get the guy down to 1000. That way I can sell the 600's if they're too stiff for some 500's.
User avatar
snowman429
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:07 pm
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco alot of work
Location: Rigby, Idaho

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by snowman429 »

I'm running 400/500 but I haven't driven it so I can't tell you how it does. I believe hobbyturnedobsession ran 400/500.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I loved 400/500. Nice ride over the small stuff and with hydro bumps up front soaked up the whoops nicely.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Ok. Thanks guys. I got him down to 1k for them. Worst case I just sell the coils and buy what I want.
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by cs_drums »

I run 350/450 and it works great. Ditch the 600 and grab a 350, done deal ; )
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

cs_drums wrote:I run 350/450 and it works great. Ditch the 600 and grab a 350, done deal ; )
If both coils are 14"s I can do that. Otherwise I would have to get both. Right? If the 450 is only a 12" then that won't work. For what I understand.
WCCStrokinItRacing
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am
Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build
Location: Redlands, CA

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by WCCStrokinItRacing »

birdco85 wrote:
cs_drums wrote:I run 350/450 and it works great. Ditch the 600 and grab a 350, done deal ; )
If both coils are 14"s I can do that. Otherwise I would have to get both. Right? If the 450 is only a 12" then that won't work. For what I understand.
Yes with a dual rate coil over spring rate can differ depending on spring length. Mine in 22" 400 lower spring and 8" 300 upper spring if that helps.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

What's the reasoning behind such a long lower? I've read do a 2" longer than stroke lower and whatever upper to equal double the stroke.

And not sure if you guys can tell but in the pictures in the first post, the Autofab shock mount sits away from the upper most corner a good 4". I measured today and looks like my collapsed length on the bypasses will be just about 1.5" too long. Would you guys recommend reworking the upper shock mount or the lower to push the mount further towards the rear. Maybe someone with the same upper mount can chime in.
WCCStrokinItRacing
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am
Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build
Location: Redlands, CA

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by WCCStrokinItRacing »

birdco85 wrote:What's the reasoning behind such a long lower? I've read do a 2" longer than stroke lower and whatever upper to equal double the stroke.

And not sure if you guys can tell but in the pictures in the first post, the Autofab shock mount sits away from the upper most corner a good 4". I measured today and looks like my collapsed length on the bypasses will be just about 1.5" too long. Would you guys recommend reworking the upper shock mount or the lower to push the mount further towards the rear. Maybe someone with the same upper mount can chime in.
Not sure on the exact reasoning for the different size springs. When I ordered mine form King, I went back and forth with Bret on my build and he is the one that suggested the spring size and weight. Also keep in mine these are 3.0 shocks not 2.5. That I believe would change the rate also.
In regards to your rear shock mount, I have the Threat one. I am sure they are pretty much identical. I do know that it needs to mount as tight as possible up in the corner of the body to allow the stroke of a 12" shock.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

From the pics I've seen the threat/solo etc mounts are right in the corner. This one is about two inches back from the corner and then the tabs come off the rear also. Making it about 4ish inches back from the corner. I think I might bend up a piece of 1-1/2 and weld it off the brackets to put it in the corner.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412875744.436991.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412875744.436991.jpg (270.39 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
so I picked them up today. 1000 for both with all four springs. The springs are 16" 600 and 14" 450. I guess I could run the 450 on the bottom but then the slider will run over the wiper cap. I guess I could sell both of them and buy all new. Or what if I did 450/450? This is all new to me, I've never had Coilovers before.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

I also have the chance to pick up a set of spirit racing coilover towers with bump cans, all unwelded. Supposedly they mount a 14". It also comes with the engine crossover. What do you guys think?
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Spirit makes good parts!
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413479813.608498.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413479813.608498.jpg (282.47 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
do you guys think 650 is a good price. All unwelded. The ones pictured are just tacked. My buddy bought them last night.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by SteveG »

Yup. Welding is the easy part. Those are good towers.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Thanks for the replies. Waiting for a call back on them.
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Not much of an update but I made a tailpipe finally. I got tired of the smell coming inside anytime the back window is down or sitting at a light. I just used all the old tailpipe so it's far from perfect. I didn't prep it at all so the rust kind of inhibited my welds but they'll hold just fine.

And I finally got a hold of Jeremy at Spirit and he said he can make a set of towers by the end of November. So I'll probably hold out for those.

Everyone likes pics so here they are..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414268480.322247.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414268480.322247.jpg (296.23 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414268472.023927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414268472.023927.jpg (157.63 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414268455.624783.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414268455.624783.jpg (165.34 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Post Reply