Nighthawk!
Re: Nighthawk!
There's a guy selling a new pair, just mocked up, pair of 14"s with 450/600 coils. Is that too stiff for the front? He's asking 1250 but I'll offer less.
-
WCCStrokinItRacing
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am
- Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build
- Location: Redlands, CA
Re: Nighthawk!
I run Q80's on mine with 12" by-passes. Let me tell you... doing 50-60 mph through woops as if they aren't even there... I love them! Also my spring rate on front is 300 over 400 adjusted all the way out. It is just a tick soft but I have all kinds of adjustment to stiffen up if needed. From the stuff I have put my rig through along with jumping it, it seems to be set up just right for my taste.Rmc wrote:I bought a new set of deaver q80's. They were actually intended for my next build but I'm going back n forth over running them on my bronco and getting another set later on.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Nighthawk!
I'm going to install the q80's after all, the national pack seems too soft to me. Glad I already bought them, they will be installed soon.WCCStrokinItRacing wrote:I run Q80's on mine with 12" by-passes. Let me tell you... doing 50-60 mph through woops as if they aren't even there... I love them! Also my spring rate on front is 300 over 400 adjusted all the way out. It is just a tick soft but I have all kinds of adjustment to stiffen up if needed. From the stuff I have put my rig through along with jumping it, it seems to be set up just right for my taste.Rmc wrote:I bought a new set of deaver q80's. They were actually intended for my next build but I'm going back n forth over running them on my bronco and getting another set later on.
Re: Nighthawk!
I've read the spring rate thread and a lot of people lean towards 350/500 or 400/450 or 450/500 or 500/500. Some had mentioned the 450/600. Mine does have the 5.8 so some extra weight there. I'm trying to get the guy down to 1000. That way I can sell the 600's if they're too stiff for some 500's.
- snowman429
- Posts: 203
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:07 pm
- Bronco Info: 93 Bronco alot of work
- Location: Rigby, Idaho
Re: Nighthawk!
I'm running 400/500 but I haven't driven it so I can't tell you how it does. I believe hobbyturnedobsession ran 400/500.
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: Nighthawk!
I loved 400/500. Nice ride over the small stuff and with hydro bumps up front soaked up the whoops nicely.
Re: Nighthawk!
Ok. Thanks guys. I got him down to 1k for them. Worst case I just sell the coils and buy what I want.
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Re: Nighthawk!
I run 350/450 and it works great. Ditch the 600 and grab a 350, done deal ; )
Re: Nighthawk!
If both coils are 14"s I can do that. Otherwise I would have to get both. Right? If the 450 is only a 12" then that won't work. For what I understand.cs_drums wrote:I run 350/450 and it works great. Ditch the 600 and grab a 350, done deal ; )
-
WCCStrokinItRacing
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am
- Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build
- Location: Redlands, CA
Re: Nighthawk!
Yes with a dual rate coil over spring rate can differ depending on spring length. Mine in 22" 400 lower spring and 8" 300 upper spring if that helps.birdco85 wrote:If both coils are 14"s I can do that. Otherwise I would have to get both. Right? If the 450 is only a 12" then that won't work. For what I understand.cs_drums wrote:I run 350/450 and it works great. Ditch the 600 and grab a 350, done deal ; )
Re: Nighthawk!
What's the reasoning behind such a long lower? I've read do a 2" longer than stroke lower and whatever upper to equal double the stroke.
And not sure if you guys can tell but in the pictures in the first post, the Autofab shock mount sits away from the upper most corner a good 4". I measured today and looks like my collapsed length on the bypasses will be just about 1.5" too long. Would you guys recommend reworking the upper shock mount or the lower to push the mount further towards the rear. Maybe someone with the same upper mount can chime in.
And not sure if you guys can tell but in the pictures in the first post, the Autofab shock mount sits away from the upper most corner a good 4". I measured today and looks like my collapsed length on the bypasses will be just about 1.5" too long. Would you guys recommend reworking the upper shock mount or the lower to push the mount further towards the rear. Maybe someone with the same upper mount can chime in.
-
WCCStrokinItRacing
- Posts: 95
- Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:42 am
- Bronco Info: Buying a 93 bronco and doing a full build
- Location: Redlands, CA
Re: Nighthawk!
Not sure on the exact reasoning for the different size springs. When I ordered mine form King, I went back and forth with Bret on my build and he is the one that suggested the spring size and weight. Also keep in mine these are 3.0 shocks not 2.5. That I believe would change the rate also.birdco85 wrote:What's the reasoning behind such a long lower? I've read do a 2" longer than stroke lower and whatever upper to equal double the stroke.
And not sure if you guys can tell but in the pictures in the first post, the Autofab shock mount sits away from the upper most corner a good 4". I measured today and looks like my collapsed length on the bypasses will be just about 1.5" too long. Would you guys recommend reworking the upper shock mount or the lower to push the mount further towards the rear. Maybe someone with the same upper mount can chime in.
In regards to your rear shock mount, I have the Threat one. I am sure they are pretty much identical. I do know that it needs to mount as tight as possible up in the corner of the body to allow the stroke of a 12" shock.
Re: Nighthawk!
From the pics I've seen the threat/solo etc mounts are right in the corner. This one is about two inches back from the corner and then the tabs come off the rear also. Making it about 4ish inches back from the corner. I think I might bend up a piece of 1-1/2 and weld it off the brackets to put it in the corner.
Re: Nighthawk!
so I picked them up today. 1000 for both with all four springs. The springs are 16" 600 and 14" 450. I guess I could run the 450 on the bottom but then the slider will run over the wiper cap. I guess I could sell both of them and buy all new. Or what if I did 450/450? This is all new to me, I've never had Coilovers before.
Re: Nighthawk!
I also have the chance to pick up a set of spirit racing coilover towers with bump cans, all unwelded. Supposedly they mount a 14". It also comes with the engine crossover. What do you guys think?
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Nighthawk!
Spirit makes good parts!
Re: Nighthawk!
do you guys think 650 is a good price. All unwelded. The ones pictured are just tacked. My buddy bought them last night.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Nighthawk!
Yup. Welding is the easy part. Those are good towers.
Re: Nighthawk!
Thanks for the replies. Waiting for a call back on them.
Re: Nighthawk!
Not much of an update but I made a tailpipe finally. I got tired of the smell coming inside anytime the back window is down or sitting at a light. I just used all the old tailpipe so it's far from perfect. I didn't prep it at all so the rust kind of inhibited my welds but they'll hold just fine.
And I finally got a hold of Jeremy at Spirit and he said he can make a set of towers by the end of November. So I'll probably hold out for those.
Everyone likes pics so here they are..
And I finally got a hold of Jeremy at Spirit and he said he can make a set of towers by the end of November. So I'll probably hold out for those.
Everyone likes pics so here they are..
