RMC's el hefe build.

Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

I'm lucky this stuff wasn't purchased new like this, I needed to remake every ID sleeve in every bushing. I've standardized all leaf bolts to 5/8, the alternative would have been 3 sizes, with 2 sets of weld washers to get it to where the only hardware with semi-correct shank lengths would have jived. Now I just need to machine 4 .250 thick washers to make up the remaining distance of the factory hanger span. I also spot a location in the sheet metal I may need to notch. Ill know for sure when I goto full tuck. All n all a headache but I'm making progress.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (185.76 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

I'm stressing time. As I said I need to get this crap installed( nationals,shocks, hoops n bumps),, race radio, fix a crack in the exhaust, install my gps, and do more clearancing of the center yolk up front. Hopefully before the 10th :?
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

And 2 hours later.... Made 8 big ol dang ol washers man. Going to use them for spacers going from the factory 3.5 inch wide spring hangars to the 2.5 inch wide springs. 1.750x.250 5/8 ID. I'm having a hard time believing no one sells these although I didn't look very hard.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (257.41 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
User avatar
Kel Fab Creations
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco
Location: San Jacinto, Ca
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

I would have charged you 25 bucks to cut those on the plasma table including reaming the holes...
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Shoot! Next time bro. I was thinking about you too lol I was thinking there had to be an easier way. The main reason it took me so long was I had to get creative due to not having a part off tool holder that would hold a long enough tool to part off that bar so I had to saw cut them, front and back work each one. Now I'm on the hunt for some additional tooling in addition to my long wish list. I appreciate it Kelly. Ill definitely hit you up in the future.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Out of curiosity have any of you had to notch the square underside body reinforcement just above the shackle? It's sort of behind it. I can see the shackle tagging it when pushed backward at full tuck. I was going assemble everything to see the ride height before I go cutting on it to see if I have to lower the shackle carrier.
MOSS2
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by MOSS2 »

Plasma or laser is definitely the way to go if you have time to plan ahead. I will do anything to avoid part off tools on all but the thinnest of stock or plastic and aluminum. It never comes out flat enough with a part off tool for me and have to face them anyways. (I can hear the pro machinists laughing at me) Project looks good.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Thank you
User avatar
Kel Fab Creations
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco
Location: San Jacinto, Ca
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Carbide insert parting tool on a tight machine FTW!
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Dont cut that seam! Itll start ctacking the body! What extended shackles are you running?
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

I believe 6 inch eye to eye, as I said above I have a solo Motorsport shackle perch drop bracket also. I'm kind of unsure of the ride height though. The bracket allows you to move the rear shackle perch down a n inch or so so it will clear I imagine. I just have no idea how squishy these leafs will be considering they came off a 1450 n then got prepped by deaver so I was told. I was thinking of assembling everything, checking ride hieght, disassembling and adding the replicators if needed. If not notch the square tunnel and rebuilding it with a cap( square box inserted into the tunnel and welded in). Anyone running nationals with a 6 inch shackle? Please advise.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Got my spare the other day. Ill get it mounted Saturday. 99$
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (197.95 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Progress! Won't be long now, only 4 days worth of work left lol. Full droop :D
Cycling at 18 inches as planned. I took the hard road getting here unfortunately.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.42 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (138.66 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (122.55 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Got my spare mounted today also. Next up custom shackles, bed cage ( truck style), spare tire carrier.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (251.34 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by yikes »

Looks good. Going to be ready for the Excursion?
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

I'm really trying! I should have the shackles made this afternoon, put it at tuck and start the bedcage I'm hoping to have everything to make it drivable done by Tuesday or Wednesday. I've got a house load of inlaws today and were supposed to go shooting which doesn't help my efforts. Gotta love wives who make plans with their sisters and husbands find out after the fact. So yesterday I was the antisocial one laying under a bronco all afternoon but I don't need no stinking conversation lol I'm on a mission.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

If I don't make this trip I'm gonna srip it and do all my cage ect. But I'm still gonna try.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (153.6 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Fun, back window decided to stop working so I need to fix that before bedcage can be done.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: RMC's el hefe build.

Post by Rmc »

Finished the shackles finally.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.83 KiB) Viewed 945 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (214.63 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Post Reply