Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

User avatar
TrevorPiggott
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...
Location: Folsom,CA

Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Right now I'm researching cut and turned and lengthened TTB's and am looking at who does them. So I'm curious, if you run cut and turned and/or lengthened beams, who did the work on them?
Thanks ahead of time

Trevor Piggott
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by tcm glx »

TrevorPiggott wrote:Right now I'm researching cut and turned and lengthened TTB's and am looking at who does them. So I'm curious, if you run cut and turned and/or lengthened beams, who did the work on them?
Thanks ahead of time

Trevor Piggott

Cut and Turn for me, from Camburg, and very pleased with them! Standard width.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by SteveG »

Autofab has done several sets for me. I always chose to run reinforced housings as well. There are a few companies that do them (well). My suggestion is to figure out where you're going to get the rest of the components from and buy the housings from the same fabricator.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by philofab »

Solo, Giant, Southwest Performance all do good work.

I'm not sure who did mine... they supposedly came off a class 8 or class 3. I then had Yikes! add a truss and then I did a couple things to them.

I guess my beams are sluts.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by tcm glx »

philofab wrote:
I guess my beams are sluts.
"todo como su dueño" ha ha ha, j/K Chris!
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by Polarcub »

Camburg did mine as well standard width. Not sure of wher eyou are located but there are several shops that do them. Camburg,autofab,solo,giant, and several otehrs. On the board there are a few folks that do them as well. Mark Kieffer (sp) with southwest performance does them as well. There was a set lengthened for sale in the classifieds not sure if they sold or not.
To piggyback on what steve said I would recomend using the same shop/manufacturer for all componenets as they all have slight differences and you may have unforseen issues mixing and matching. In my case I have camburg beams and radius arms with an older autofab bucket/hoop. I have aslight misalignment between the bucket and the beam causing my springs to be pushed forward on the bottom slightly. While I am fixing this it is just an example of how things may not be "just right" when mixing and matching.
Also if your not in the socal/arizona areas the cost of shipping parts is also a consideration. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Jeremy
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by Nick »

Mine are stock width, done by Southwest performance.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by tcm glx »

Nick wrote:Mine are stock width, done by Southwest performance.
Post up some pics Nick..... the ones Keifer built you are downright gorgeous!
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by bajascott »

i did mine and some others.
solo or autofab or southwest would be the companies i would suggest if you have the coin.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by philofab »

tcm glx wrote:"todo como su dueño" ha ha ha, j/K Chris!
Sir, I'll have you know I am a high priced whore.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by tcm glx »

philofab wrote:
tcm glx wrote:"todo como su dueño" ha ha ha, j/K Chris!
Sir, I'll have you know I am a high priced whore.

Ha ha ha!
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by BDKW1 »

I do My own.........
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by PaulW »

Just about any fab shop in So Cal do them. And the Broncos are very popular so the shops have plenty of experience. Get quotes for the best price and timing. Pretty basic mod. Good ones have Radius arms plated and welded to the modified beams. Always use Hiems at all the pivots. Uniballs at the beam pivots are also necessary eventually.
My beams/radius arms/towers were built by Jewremy at Spirit.
GLen at Complete Fab does very nice front end.
PW
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by baja-chris »

BTW, Glen at Complete Fab has a customer with a set of Camburg cut and turned beams for sale for $200. They are just sitting there in the way along with Paul W's transfer case also for sale.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:Good ones have Radius arms plated and welded to the modified beams.
I don't think that comment is necessarily accurate. I understand the merits and why it's done but don't agree that it's necessary on every application. Adding a third mounting point to the radius arm/beam attachment (instead of welding) makes the assembly very rigid and eliminates issues from the beam/arm wanting to rotate on the bolts on top of and below the beam. Autofab and Southwest performance currently do this with great results. Spirit used to do this as well. The BFG is a great example of this... tens of thousands of miles with two-piece beam/radius arm assemblies.

In addition to not being individually serviceable, welded radius arm/beam assemblies have to be jigged on the truck and aren't easily installed by do-it-yourselfers.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
TrevorPiggott
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...
Location: Folsom,CA

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Thank you to everyone who has replied and given input! Really opened my eyes to more fabricators.

Baja-chris, thank you for letting me know about that! I will probably be calling Glen tomorrow.
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by PaulW »

Steve, you are corrrect. We tend to lean to over kill because beating hard is fun. Elimination of connections is always more reliable and we pay extra for that.
I mention the welded assembly for the hardest usage. Some of the lift kit arms look pretty light duty.
PW
============
SteveG wrote:
PaulW wrote:Good ones have Radius arms plated and welded to the modified beams.
I don't think that comment is necessarily accurate. I understand the merits and why it's done but don't agree that it's necessary on every application. Adding a third mounting point to the radius arm/beam attachment (instead of welding) makes the assembly very rigid and eliminates issues from the beam/arm wanting to rotate on the bolts on top of and below the beam. Autofab and Southwest performance currently do this with great results. Spirit used to do this as well. The BFG is a great example of this... tens of thousands of miles with two-piece beam/radius arm assemblies.

In addition to not being individually serviceable, welded radius arm/beam assemblies have to be jigged on the truck and aren't easily installed by do-it-yourselfers.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:Some of the lift kit arms look pretty light duty.
Agreed. A lot of them are downright scary. Especially where they attach to the beam.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:Agreed. A lot of them are downright scary. Especially where they attach to the beam.
What, .120 mild plate doesn't inspire your confidence? If you add to much material it's gets very expensive to ship from China.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Prerunbronc
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 pm
Bronco Info: 95 bronco 5.8 coilovers, deavers, 2.5 fox, full glass, air bumps, 9" rearend

Re: Who did your Cut&Turned/Lengthened beams?

Post by Prerunbronc »

I do my own cut and turn and radius arms.
Image
Post Reply