spy shots - ttb blazer

User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

Some of you guys asked for some spy photos of Ramsey's Blazer prerunner project. Glen Straightiff is the fabricator. It's a stretch wheelbase with equal length Dana 50 based ttb up front and in the rear a 3-link 14-bolt with a trailing arm suspension. The Dana 50 uses larger axle shafts and u-joints, larger ball joints with a wider spread, a 2.5" spindle, and bigger brakes. It will still accept the D44 third member which offers more choices in gears and differentials. Notice the front beams are swapped so the passenger side pivots in front of the diff to enable the longer arms. The steering is also innovative using Toyota unit bearings for relay arm pivots, then a cv can bolt up to the unit bearing with a drive shaft to either a mid-mounted steering box or via a bellcrank to get to a front mounted steering box. Not sure what they are going to do there yet. The drivetrain is an EFI 502 and 4L80. At the back of the truck there is a pair of hubs that serve as the pivot for the trailing arms (aka Hemet arms). They are splined to accept the sway bar inside the tube. You can see they are just starting the mock up of the trailing arms and rear suspension. The rear end is a 14-bolt with the iron hubs turned down on a lathe to accept the 6x6.5 trophy truck botl pattern with a hub centric fit.
The body is a late model Blazer that has been modified to accept the old style full convertible top. Tires will be 37's.
Attachments
IMG_3644.JPG
IMG_3644.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
IMG_3643.JPG
IMG_3643.JPG (50.67 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG (65.94 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
IMG_3638.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG (60.66 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

more spy shots
And yes, that's Todd Zuetcher's 69 Overall Baja 1000 winner in the background. We are finishing up the prep on it for the NORRA 1000.
Attachments
IMG_3648.JPG
IMG_3648.JPG (39.43 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
IMG_3647.JPG
IMG_3647.JPG (49.6 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
IMG_3646.JPG
IMG_3646.JPG (60.98 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
IMG_3645.JPG
IMG_3645.JPG (56.76 KiB) Viewed 5321 times
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

last set of spy shots

cool project, eh? Ramsey is smarter than dirt, you know.
Attachments
IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3654.JPG (40.35 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3653.JPG (34.36 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
IMG_3650.JPG
IMG_3650.JPG (59.14 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
IMG_3649.JPG
IMG_3649.JPG (60.48 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by SteveG »

baja-chris wrote:Ramsey is smarter than dirt, you know.
Dirt ain't got nothin' on him!

Thanks for the photos. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
billy1911
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:04 am

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by billy1911 »

thanks for posting the pictures looks cool
User avatar
PBR
Founder
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by PBR »

super cool build!
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by SteveG »

Air shock coil-overs?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

SteveG wrote:Air shock coil-overs?
Yes. My dad's stretch bronco also uses them. Very tunable and work well. They are on the front of some very fast class 8 trucks.

For steering, I suggested they try a full hydraulic steering setup with the existing hard link swing sets between the wheels. Common setup on serious go fast offshore race boats. I had one on my speed ski boat and the steering feel and feedback were excellent.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by SteveG »

Other than you guys, there's not a lot of people using air shock coil-overs. At least that I know of.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by shockseals.com »

SteveG wrote:Other than you guys, there's not a lot of people using air shock coil-overs. At least that I know of.
I have built quite a few sets of them. I think they are standard on alumicraft prerunners as well. Its basically a hyd bumpstop without having to mount a bumpstop. If I were building a C/O bypass truck I would do the same thing but it would not be an emulsion shock.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by SteveG »

shockseals.com wrote:I have built quite a few sets of them. I think they are standard on alumicraft prerunners as well. Its basically a hyd bumpstop without having to mount a bumpstop. If I were building a C/O bypass truck I would do the same thing but it would not be an emulsion shock.
I've always wondered why we see so few air shock coil-overs.

I always thought it would be cool to do a bypass in front and an air shock behind the bucket in this application:
Attachments
cb2x25.jpg
cb2x25.jpg (75.33 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by SteveG »

shockseals.com wrote:I would do the same thing but it would not be an emulsion shock.
I've wondered about that too. I would think a reservoir would help with temperature and pressure changes?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by shockseals.com »

baja-chris wrote:
SteveG wrote:Air shock coil-overs?
Yes. My dad's stretch bronco also uses them. Very tunable and work well. They are on the front of some very fast class 8 trucks.

For steering, I suggested they try a full hydraulic steering setup with the existing hard link swing sets between the wheels. Common setup on serious go fast offshore race boats. I had one on my speed ski boat and the steering feel and feedback were excellent.
How about the return to center? In the HYD steering setups I have driven or ridden in the back to center was strange and the lack of feedback was not normal. I would like to drive a bunderson setup...they seem to have everything dialed.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by shockseals.com »

SteveG wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:I would do the same thing but it would not be an emulsion shock.
I've wondered about that too. I would think a reservoir would help with temperature and pressure changes?
I would do it to remove the lag inherent of an emulsion shock. Emulsion shocks are a waste.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

[/quote]

How about the return to center? In the HYD steering setups I have driven or ridden in the back to center was strange and the lack of feedback was not normal. I would like to drive a bunderson setup...they seem to have everything dialed.[/quote]

I think return to center is more a function of the geometry of the steering and suspension. I'm only talking about using hydraulic power to push the tie rods around. Of course I have not actually done it so just an idea.
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

More photos from today showing the body stretch. The 12" wide filler panel was bent up from sheet stock on the bead roller.
Attachments
IMG_3743.JPG
IMG_3743.JPG (56.1 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG (33.37 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
IMG_3741.JPG
IMG_3741.JPG (59.78 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG (51.99 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

more
Attachments
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3747.JPG (44.26 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
IMG_3746.JPG
IMG_3746.JPG (63.93 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3745.JPG (48.94 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
IMG_3744.JPG
IMG_3744.JPG (46.56 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by Nick »

Thanks for posting the pics Chris!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

and
Attachments
IMG_3751.JPG
IMG_3751.JPG (59.85 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
IMG_3750.JPG
IMG_3750.JPG (44.21 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
IMG_3749.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG (50.93 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
IMG_3748.JPG
IMG_3748.JPG (58.13 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: spy shots - ttb blazer

Post by baja-chris »

last set for today
Attachments
IMG_3754.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG (68.44 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3753.JPG (41.77 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
IMG_3752.JPG
IMG_3752.JPG (53.89 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Post Reply