Advice on Future Suspension Setup
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
What's funny is that one of the guys on the Collins team came up to me and said oh you asked me about blah blah blah. I was thinking what the heck is this guy talking about. At that point I remember it was Tony who had asked him that question but he mixed us two up. HA HA HA We all do look the same.
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
You'll come around Steve, trust me a Bronco is in your future. Oh yeah an unchopped Bronco I mean.ChaseTruck754 wrote:When are you guys gonna wise up and buy a 70's Ford.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
Told Tony about the black bronco they bought and traded to Rory.Nick wrote:What did i do???
As for me having a Bronco - not until I don't have to deal with smogging one Chris
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- Brad12
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
- Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Contact:
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
Man this thread got off topic in a hurry!
Update- I took the first step towards a new suspension today and bought some J40s through bronco graveyard. I think I am going to try the J40s with 5150s and no 2-link first just to see how that works. Then, depending on how that handles I will decide if I should go ahead and get the autofab 2-link system.
I do plan on getting rid of the shims and welding new spring perches on to correct the pinion angle. I've read that setting the pinion 1-1.5 degrees below the transfer case is about right to correct for pinion movement under load. Any opinions/experience with this?
Update- I took the first step towards a new suspension today and bought some J40s through bronco graveyard. I think I am going to try the J40s with 5150s and no 2-link first just to see how that works. Then, depending on how that handles I will decide if I should go ahead and get the autofab 2-link system.
I do plan on getting rid of the shims and welding new spring perches on to correct the pinion angle. I've read that setting the pinion 1-1.5 degrees below the transfer case is about right to correct for pinion movement under load. Any opinions/experience with this?
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014
I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
The 5150s and J40s are a good starting point. I ran mine pretty hard that way before I moved up to 2.5s. YOu will definately want to move the perches, I just rotated mine until the rear diff was in line with the driveshaft at ride height has worked well. I hear the 1-1.5 degree alot as well. One thing I would consider is to find some extended shackles to go with the J40s.
Jeremy
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
Guys, I just want to clarify..... I am not saying you need the 2 link from day one. It is super nice to have, and in my opinion made a significant different. However I did run without it for about 9 months while I saved up for it and just ran the deavers.
Now, the other thing to keep in mind, is G Units comment.... you wont know it helps till you try it. Most folks will put on the deavers, and think it is the best thing since sliced bread (and it is), but as the saying goes... "you dont know what you dont know".
I was one of those who thought, ehhh, can not make a big difference until i tried it.... and now I am happy i did.
Also, last comment, I have my two link from Southwest performance... which has worked outstanding for me.... heimed on both ends, and not a single vibe, or issue.
Now, the other thing to keep in mind, is G Units comment.... you wont know it helps till you try it. Most folks will put on the deavers, and think it is the best thing since sliced bread (and it is), but as the saying goes... "you dont know what you dont know".
I was one of those who thought, ehhh, can not make a big difference until i tried it.... and now I am happy i did.
Also, last comment, I have my two link from Southwest performance... which has worked outstanding for me.... heimed on both ends, and not a single vibe, or issue.
- Brad12
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
- Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Contact:
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
thank you for all of the help so far. It sounds like moving the pinion 1 degree below the transfer case will work?
As for the 5150s, what travel and valving should I be looking into? They have got both 11.93 and 14.53 travel options available that come with either 170/60 or 255/70 valving. Remember this will be mostly street driven, but I am willing to sacrifice some streetability for off-road performance. Suggestions?
As for the 5150s, what travel and valving should I be looking into? They have got both 11.93 and 14.53 travel options available that come with either 170/60 or 255/70 valving. Remember this will be mostly street driven, but I am willing to sacrifice some streetability for off-road performance. Suggestions?
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014
I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
Shock length depends on amount of lift. I would go for the 255/70 valving.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
The beauty of good valving is you don't have to sacrifice comfort. I would PM Joel (Randomthoughtsracing) and ask him about bilstein valving. Then post here so others will have the info as well.Brad12 wrote:Remember this will be mostly street driven, but I am willing to sacrifice some streetability for off-road performance. Suggestions?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
-
randomthoughtsracing
- Posts: 57
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: so cal.
Re: Advice on Future Suspension Setup
According to Shane the Bilstein lifted truck guru the 255/70 5150 will work decently on the rear of the Bronco, order the proper length for your lift.
If you want my biased opinion... dont play in the kiddie pool, get a rebuildable/ revalvable race shock.
If you want my biased opinion... dont play in the kiddie pool, get a rebuildable/ revalvable race shock.
