Pro comp, Deaver, or???
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Pro comp, Deaver, or???
Okay guys I am in need of new front coils. Allegedly I had the deaver 5.5" springs when I had camburg install the C/T beams. Since then I have moved to auto fab hoops. Since i put the autofab hoops in I have noticed my front coils seem to be pushed forward on the beam in relation to the bucket tops. I have messed with the radius arms a bit but unless i want to weld the brackets in place I cannot get them in a sweet spot. Right now they are at min heim adj and the passenger beam in particular seems to be pushed too far forward. This is where they were with the factory buckets BTW. Anyways after about 5 years of hard use its time to replace the springs after the July race they have dropped about another 1/4" in ride height. I am suspicius that these coils were actually deavers as they do not have the deaver logo as I have seen on others. When TCM had his +4 coils in he actually sat higher than I did in the front at the time. So I am at a crossroads as to go with the 5.5" deavers or the pro comp +4. I am leaning towards the +4 as that should reduce some of the misalignment in the coil as the autofab buckets were set up around a +4 spring. Your thoughts?
Jeremy
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
I'm using 4" Skyjacker coils on John's recommendation. No complaints. Nice and soft and a low ride-height.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
i have 4" procomp coils and for coils springs they are good in my opinion.
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
I dug the pro comps Jer... and they are cheap too... there is a guy selling a set for $50 plus shipping on FSB. Now, I have never ridden on the Superlift, so those might work well also...
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
i have the deavers and i had the older pro comps and the pro comps wont even compare imo.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
Thanks Tony...i may jump on that this weekend if money works out. Been a bad week that way. Cant beat the price and if the 4" doesnt work out the way I want I am not out a ton. Thanks
As i said I supposedly had the deavers, I think that when I went to the autofab hoops that they are set up around a 4" spring in relation to positioning on the beam. I like the way the deavers ride but I would like to get this figured out in the simple way. One of the hazards of mixing/matching parts....these springs should not be collapsing the way they are and I believe it is because of the positioning. With that being said if the 4" puts the front to low then I will go back to the deavers and adjust the radius arm brackets to get them to line up correctly.
As i said I supposedly had the deavers, I think that when I went to the autofab hoops that they are set up around a 4" spring in relation to positioning on the beam. I like the way the deavers ride but I would like to get this figured out in the simple way. One of the hazards of mixing/matching parts....these springs should not be collapsing the way they are and I believe it is because of the positioning. With that being said if the 4" puts the front to low then I will go back to the deavers and adjust the radius arm brackets to get them to line up correctly.
Jeremy
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
I hope i didn't make a mistake by getting the deaver 5.5's. We will see, i guess...
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
Nick I dont think you did....I am very suspicious that my coils A. are not deavers ( I have seen that their springs have their logo stamped/engraved on them) mine dont. B. I also think the premature failure has been caused by the spring bowing forward at the beam causing them to compress out of their natural plane.Nick wrote:I hope i didn't make a mistake by getting the deaver 5.5's. We will see, i guess...
With that said I am also concerned that the new deavers will put the nose in the air a bit and I am shooting for a level stance. I am just being cautious as I cant afford to buy 2 sets of springs right now. So I figure I will start with the 4" and go form there. at lest thats my thought. Plus I want to see if the shorter coil will line up better. I got to thinking about it and I can see how the taller spring will sit differently (so my pee brain thinks).
I will le tyou know as i hope to be swapping them in in the next week or two.
Jeremy
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
You've still got Pro Comps.Nick wrote:I hope i didn't make a mistake by getting the deaver 5.5's. We will see, i guess...
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: Pro comp, Deaver, or???
Idk if this helps or confuses more, but i have the deaver 5.5's like i said earlier in stock coil buckets and i have the deaver j40 spring pack on stock shackels and right now im sittin an inch high in the rear, but my springs up front have settled and i just got the rear deavers on yesterday.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
