Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

SteveG wrote:
toddz69 wrote:I call the cheapie cutters "flesh-cut" trimmers. For good reason..
I'm sure my day is coming! Or, do I wise up and buy them before learning the hard way... you never know!
For the $2 or so I paid for my HF anti flesh cutters I'm more than happy. It did take me years of getting cut every now & again to grab um though.

never claimed to be too smart... Or maybe I'm just too cheap :lol:
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by PaulW »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
SteveG wrote:
toddz69 wrote:I call the cheapie cutters "flesh-cut" trimmers. For good reason..
I'm sure my day is coming! Or, do I wise up and buy them before learning the hard way... you never know!
For the $2 or so I paid for my HF anti flesh cutters I'm more than happy. It did take me years of getting cut every now & again to grab um though.

never claimed to be too smart... Or maybe I'm just too cheap :lol:
==
The HF ones are made in India and there is a lot of difference from one to another. I bought 3 and 2 were perfect and one the cutters did not match. Looks like it missed the grinding step. Check them at the store.
My best pair now days are made in the US with a Stanley label, from HD. Slightly better cutters than HF.
Previously my aircraft unit was dropped and of course it landed on a cutter blade and it broke off. This unit was like Toddz mentioned and was bought surplus at Osh. Same price as HF.
Anyway buy extras because the cutters are very sharp when new and not so sharp after lots of use.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by Rmc »

I'm telling you guys, the same quality can be had at fry's electronics under the brand name excelite for 3.99 or 12.99 for Klein is the only other decent cheaper set, get the excelite with the baby blue handle there worth every penny. The craftsman alternative broke after about 5 wires.
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by PaulW »

Gees. I long for a Fry's. Nearest one only 400 miles from home.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by Rmc »

Stanley has em for 6$,
Hm electronics xuron 4.74$
Hm electronics hakko 3.80$
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/xc ... /p/114-850
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Xuron/170II
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Hakko/CHP170
There all basically the same product.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by SteveG »

Rmc wrote:Stanley has em for 6$,
Hm electronics xuron 4.74$
Hm electronics hakko 3.80$
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/xc ... /p/114-850
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Xuron/170II
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Hakko/CHP170
There all basically the same product.
Thanks for the links. I'd been looking for a dealer that stocks Hakko soldering tips for my soldering station.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by Rmc »

SteveG wrote:
Rmc wrote:Stanley has em for 6$,
Hm electronics xuron 4.74$
Hm electronics hakko 3.80$
http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/xc ... /p/114-850
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Xuron/170II
http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Hakko/CHP170
There all basically the same product.
Thanks for the links. I'd been looking for a dealer that stocks Hakko soldering tips for my soldering station.
Kinda found it by accident... But no prob.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by SteveG »

A spin off from this thread: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... start=1240
philofab wrote:
drewbee88 wrote:That's what they make a multimeter for
No, they make multimeters to test AC & DC voltage, impedance/resistance, continuity, temperature, and amp load.

Although you could continuity test each red wire, that takes much longer and could be more destructive than just testing the single Blue wire.

It's also a mess if four red wires get cut and require a schematic to repair in addition to a meter as you don't know where they are supposed to be connected to.

If they are all different it can be repaired by anyone without use of a meter and scematic.
Agreed! I try to use the same color only for like-circuits... all constant hot one color, all switched in another, etc. Different sensors and switches should be different colors if at all possible. It gets more expensive but it makes repairs MUCH easier and a lot faster.

I've been looking into placing a large wire order of a whole mess of different colors. I've even looked into a striping/dotting machine but that's out of my price range. Maybe I'll try to make one....
drewbee88
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:18 pm
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by drewbee88 »

SteveG wrote:A spin off from this thread: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... start=1240
philofab wrote:
drewbee88 wrote:That's what they make a multimeter for
No, they make multimeters to test AC & DC voltage, impedance/resistance, continuity, temperature, and amp load.

Although you could continuity test each red wire, that takes much longer and could be more destructive than just testing the single Blue wire.

It's also a mess if four red wires get cut and require a schematic to repair in addition to a meter as you don't know where they are supposed to be connected to.

If they are all different it can be repaired by anyone without use of a meter and scematic.
Agreed! I try to use the same color only for like-circuits... all constant hot one color, all switched in another, etc. Different sensors and switches should be different colors if at all possible. It gets more expensive but it makes repairs MUCH easier and a lot faster.

I've been looking into placing a large wire order of a whole mess of different colors. I've even looked into a striping/dotting machine but that's out of my price range. Maybe I'll try to make one....
I agree with chall, but if all I had was red and black wire I wouldn't hesitate to wire it that way. Saves on all the different wire you have to buy. But does make it a pain in future. Still very clean!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by SteveG »

drewbee88 wrote:I agree with chall, but if all I had was red and black wire I wouldn't hesitate to wire it that way. Saves on all the different wire you have to buy.
Yup. I've done this, too. I recently rebuilt a Mercedes wire EFI harness and wired it with all red and black simply because it's a budget job. I feel for the guy that has to perform diagnostics on it, though.
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by BDKW1 »

SteveG wrote: I've even looked into a striping/dotting machine but that's out of my price range. Maybe I'll try to make one....
Black sharpie will make a colored wire with a black stripe. Silver works on darker colors also. Red on lighter colors. Not hard to do once you get a little practice at it. Pen and wire in one hand and pull through with the other...........
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by Rmc »

Btw: if you guys need wire, Anixster is who has a very large selection. From constant flex oil and uv resistant cable to super fat to control signal wire. They have it, are world wide and can get nearly anything you need next day. It's sold by the foot as well. There's an Anixster in Anaheim, union city, and Chicago but there a very big wire and cable supplier. Just one for the old mental notes when your looking for something you can't find via your usual sources.

https://www.anixter.com/north-america/us/en.html
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by PaulW »

SteveG wrote: I've been looking into placing a large wire order of a whole mess of different colors. I've even looked into a striping/dotting machine but that's out of my price range. Maybe I'll try to make one....
==========
Suggestion that I don't follow which comes from the homebuilt airplane guys. 2 colors. Black & white. Black is only for grounds. White 16 Ga is for all other functions.
Label all the whites with very small font using Excel. cut them in small strips and place on the wire at logical places and cover with clear heat shrink. Winning a best in show wiring at the car show or airplane show and that is what you see.
I have discussed with guys that have done it and they said it takes a while to get up to speed then it goes fast.
Alternatively is to find a wiring company with the real wire labeling machine and have them do it for you. Not an option unless you liv e So Cal.
The advantage of single color with labels is the wire cost does go down.
Sigh
PW
User avatar
birdco85
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:35 am
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by birdco85 »

Check out tiewraps.com I used to use them when I worked at Dave's Custom Boats. Good prices and will have just about everything you need for wire, connectors, heat shrink, etc.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The labels & clear heat shrink can work well.

When my uncle is doing the custom wiring jobs for the motor swaps, etc. he uses a small label maker he's had forever & then does the clear heat shrink tube over that. This is all on top of multiple colors though.

I think I've got about 10-12 different colors of wire in my wiring supplies and it still seems like not enough options to chill my OCD out...
7D6F250
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:21 pm
Bronco Info: i drive a 76' F250 and a 09' F350
Location: Trabuco Canyon SoCal

weather pack crimping tool

Post by 7D6F250 »

ok, spent 30 bucks for a total of 4 weather pack kits for my lights, but damn the tool cost 118+ bucks! sheesh! does anyone have this tool around the OC area that could lend it out? I will leave you one of my kids, or all of em, for collateral. this will take me a month or three.... ok, maybe a day. thanks guys
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: weather pack crimping tool

Post by SteveG »

User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by philofab »

You can get a tool way less at places like Del City.
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by Silverslk »

I have a crimper for the non insulated pins.... Its what I used for my weather packs. Didnt look at the link to see if some people use a "special" tool but I have what works and I'm picky. Its not a $3 insulated connector crap crimper, it curls the tabs in on the wire, if that makes sense.

I'm in garden Grove
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I've also got one (or 3 different really) like Andy is talking about if you're ok with the non weatherpak specific ones. You're due for a trip this way anyway.
Post Reply