Sparco Questions
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Sparco Questions
Do any of you have first hand experience with the Sparco Sprint V and/or Speed 2 seats? I'm considering them for the rear in the Bronco, but want to get some feedback for comfort. My butt likes them, but that's been 30 seconds at a time and I don't have to sit in them for hours. Want to keep the kids and random passengers comfy without breaking the bank.
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Sparco Questions
I haven't used those particular models, but the sparcos are typically really comfy as long as they fit you right. We have extra thick cushions made by someone else that replace the thin stock cushions as well which are great. For random people I think a regular suspension seat might be better.
Re: Sparco Questions
I had Sparco's in my 12 car and I absolutely loved them. I have Cobra's in my new 10 car and they seem to be just as good. I have used suspension seats for 10+ years and they caused a lot of pain in my chest and sternum area. Problem completely went away with a tub seat. In a suspension seat you are constantly moving so when the seat compresses belts loosen and then returns and pushes you back into the belts possibly in a bad position.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Sparco Questions
[quote="d-rek"]I had Sparco's in my 12 car and I absolutely loved them. I have Cobra's in my new 10 car and they seem to be just as good. I have used suspension seats for 10+ years and they caused a lot of pain in my chest and sternum area. Problem completely...
Aren't they more risky for spinal dammaged in an offroad application? The thought of a hard bottom out has curbed me even thinking of that style seat. I understand the belt tight loose thing but isn't it more dangerous?
Aren't they more risky for spinal dammaged in an offroad application? The thought of a hard bottom out has curbed me even thinking of that style seat. I understand the belt tight loose thing but isn't it more dangerous?
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Sparco Questions
I've always thought/heard the same thing. There has in recent years been more of a push on the tub type seats though and a whole, huge raging debate over it on RDC.
Re: Sparco Questions
I've heard properly fitted rigid seats are better for preventing back injuries because there is no movement.
Re: Sparco Questions
I thought the same thing about a hard bottom out but we have had some hard hits and no injuries trying to post some incar of a crash that my partner had while in a tub seat. To me the biggest issue is that when the seat compresses you can come back into the belts in a bad position causing injury. Majority of back injuries in off road have been in suspension seats.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Sparco Questions
Holy moly! Quite the roll over there. Ya I just don't wanna end up like the owner of buckshot, or my cousin for that matter. My cousin spent 50k on a truck and had to sell it due to disc compression. It scares the crap out of me. But I do understand what your saying about your pelvis shifting position in the belted seat .
- baja-chris
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm
Re: Sparco Questions
Majority of vehicles in off road use suspension seats so be careful drawing conclusions.d-rek wrote:Majority of back injuries in off road have been in suspension seats.
For example, and just making up numbers to make a point about drawing conclusions, suppose 20% of the back injuries are in hard shell seats and 80% in suspension seats. One could say that suspension seats have 5 times as many injuries. But what if only 10% of the off road vehicles used hard shell seats? Then in this case you could say that you are twice as likely to have a back injury in a hard shell seat.
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Re: Sparco Questions
I would think alot would have to do with the vehicle too. If you have 3' of travel all 4 coners you problably dont need suspension in your seat but if you have a harsher riding rig then a little extra in the seat may go a long way.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Sparco Questions
baja-chris wrote:Majority of vehicles in off road use suspension seats so be careful drawing conclusions.d-rek wrote:Majority of back injuries in off road have been in suspension seats.
For example, and just making up numbers to make a point about drawing conclusions, suppose 20% of the back injuries are in hard shell seats and 80% in suspension seats. One could say that suspension seats have 5 times as many injuries. But what if only 10% of the off road vehicles used hard shell seats? Then in this case you could say that you are twice as likely to have a back injury in a hard shell seat.
Haha you sound like u write multiple choice questions for a living, or write California ballot initiatives . Point taken though. I broke my tailbone in motocross once so I'm still sold on all out ass comfort. Suspension still has my vote.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Sparco Questions
This was exactly the point I was going to make when I saw that post above, but was glad to see someone else realized the reality of what may skew that number.baja-chris wrote:Majority of vehicles in off road use suspension seats so be careful drawing conclusions.d-rek wrote:Majority of back injuries in off road have been in suspension seats.
- AussieRod
- Posts: 2818
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
- Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
- Location: Downunder
Re: Sparco Questions
My input might be considered biased, as I have never used (a) suspension seat(s), but here goes:
I have had 4 BAD crashes (3 driving, 1 co-driver) in my entire motorsport career (a bad crash meaning at least 1 - 2 rolls and/or severe car damage) and the vehicles in question ALL had hard-shell seats in them. I ALWAYS strap myself in TIGHT, and constantly check my belts at any opportunity, and I have walked away from all of these crashes with virtually zero injury. The co-driver crash was in a rally car travelling at almost 100 mph when it went off the road into a forest of trees up to 4" in diameter and rolled 4 times, including the impacts with numerous trees. The car was totalled, but both of us walked away with nothing more than belt bruising and a little neck pain. My first instinct in a crash is if I can no longer control the vehicle, to pull my feet up off the pedals and grab hold of my helmet with both hands to keep head movement to a minimum. Thats my limited experience to put forward, but over here, hard shell seats are the norm in our motorsport, with suspension seats SOMETIMES used in off-road racing. Just my $0.015 cents.

I have had 4 BAD crashes (3 driving, 1 co-driver) in my entire motorsport career (a bad crash meaning at least 1 - 2 rolls and/or severe car damage) and the vehicles in question ALL had hard-shell seats in them. I ALWAYS strap myself in TIGHT, and constantly check my belts at any opportunity, and I have walked away from all of these crashes with virtually zero injury. The co-driver crash was in a rally car travelling at almost 100 mph when it went off the road into a forest of trees up to 4" in diameter and rolled 4 times, including the impacts with numerous trees. The car was totalled, but both of us walked away with nothing more than belt bruising and a little neck pain. My first instinct in a crash is if I can no longer control the vehicle, to pull my feet up off the pedals and grab hold of my helmet with both hands to keep head movement to a minimum. Thats my limited experience to put forward, but over here, hard shell seats are the norm in our motorsport, with suspension seats SOMETIMES used in off-road racing. Just my $0.015 cents.
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Sparco Questions
Well, alrighty then! I appreciate the input guys, but would everyone please refer to my original post? I asked about 2 specific Sparco seats for the rear passengers. There was no question posed about the never ending tub vs suspension debate. I plan to run Sparco Pro 2000 II's in the front. Just want a less expensive Sparco alternative for the rear.
- AussieRod
- Posts: 2818
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
- Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
- Location: Downunder
Re: Sparco Questions
Sparco are a comfortable seat, regardless of which model. Even the recliner versions for road use are really nice. Sorry for the hijack, I guess I should have read your post better, B.
Re: Sparco Questions
Sorry I saw sparco seats and I thought I would chime didn't read your post completely again I apologize
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Sparco Questions
No problem at all. I do appreciate the input. That was a wicked crash! Can't argue with that.d-rek wrote:Sorry I saw sparco seats and I thought I would chime didn't read your post completely again I apologize
