Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Races, meets, etc
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by AussieRod »

baja-chris wrote:
AussieRod wrote: Its strange to me that all the other Class 3 competitors need links to compete with the Moss Bros Bronco, which has leaf springs. :roll:
I don't think that is an accurate assessment. I raced a Stock Full for a few years and we spent way more money on leafs over the course of a season than it would of cost to do links and coilovers one time. And the times when we tried to get 2 races out of a set of leafs are the times when we broke them and had to do a mid-race leaf spring change. Now I'm sure someone will tell me how they get 10,000 race miles out of their leafs and it's just our poor setup or driving style but I'm not buying it. Links and coils are cheaper to race on.

It does not look like I'm going to have my new class 3 ready for San Felipe but we are still trying. And it's linked but is sprung exclusively on a pair of dual shackle leafs. I expect this setup to improve the life of the leafs. I would gladly throw away all that fancy dual shackle leaf spring stuff if the rules allowed coilovers in place of leafs, but they don't so we spent weeks working on a leaf spring setup that we think will work. And we do plan to race other venues where there is no leaf spring rule so the truck is designed to run on coils for those events. It has nothing to do with needing links to complete with Moss Bros. Moss Bros dominate because they have their act together with an incredible finishing record due to good prep and smart driving. That counts for more than links do IMHO.
Considering their results, I think its a VERY accurate statement, Chris. I'm sure the Moss Bros have put more than their fair share of leaf packs on their Bronco, and yes, I agree their incredible success has everything to do with good prep and smart driving. I'm not taking anything away from your project, its good to see inovation, but with all respect, I see a lot more parts to break and/or service besides a pair of leaf packs. Just saying.
retroblazer
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 am
Contact:

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by retroblazer »

Speaking for myself, my business has been under severe pressure for the last three years, I am a stockbroker that specializes in community banks. The only reason that I'm not racing is cash, not leaf springs. I'm optimistic that I will be back out again later this season.
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

retroblazer wrote:Speaking for myself, my business has been under severe pressure for the last three years, I am a stockbroker that specializes in community banks. The only reason that I'm not racing is cash, not leaf springs. I'm optimistic that I will be back out again later this season.
It would be awesome to see you back out there Raffo! Best of luck!
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by baja-chris »

Our new class 3 is so close but not going to make it for San Felipe.
Bummed. Staying home from the race to work on it.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by SteveG »

Bummer, Chris! What's left?
User avatar
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by flyinbronco »

baja-chris wrote:Our new class 3 is so close but not going to make it for San Felipe.
Bummed. Staying home from the race to work on it.
Dang it. I was hoping you guys would pull it off at the last minute.
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by shockseals.com »

AussieRod wrote:Its strange to me that all the other Class 3 competitors need links to compete with the Moss Bros Bronco, which has leaf springs. :roll:
The first competitive linked car spanked em I think every Score race it raced with a 6 cylinder and 10/14 wheel travel..then that car was sold to Bunch who is a hack and DNF'd repeatedly from bad prep and bad driving. Links will win almost everytime over leafs if raced by a team that wants to win and has the knowledge to do so...there are exceptions to every rule though.

I do give it up to Moss for staying out there year after year after year. That class could be awesome. Dave's Bronco, C wilson new bronco being built, the Wrangler if raced by a competent team, and even a few other rigs are out there that would make that class great.

Im heading down to SF thursday at 5am...stopping on the way down to check out the mile 50/114 pinch then heading into town for a day of preruning and percebu.
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by PaulW »

Update
Race Access points

Mx3 K 192 RM38 road crossing
Mx3 at the traditional Borrego road crossing about 5 miles of bad race road to RM120
Mx3 K160 RM 143+ Road crossing Good place walk from where you park on
the north end of del Sol Road.
Mx5 K106.5 La Ventana graded road to RM 66, 96
Mx5 K87 to RM80 (Not RM78 due to mud/deep sand). Graded road
Mx5 K90 to RM72, RM90, CK1, CK2 Unknown road condition. Existing road
Mx5 K92 to Track before RM~72 Race road leads S from Hwy follow the burned track. Fence cut
Mx5 k134- to RM44 & RM 120 via a long drive in the Chinerio wash to Arrajal wash Expect deep sand
Access to RM 44 to 70 & 120 to 96 requires driveing on the race track
Mx5 K149 to RM 33
Mx5 K156 to RM28
Mx5 K159 to RM26

RM 147/8 is close to BFG Pit on the del Sol graded road the north end
of Lugna Diablo
Zoo Road RM8 near the Hippy camp Probably the best place with the big crowds.
Morelia Junction Good place with lots of room and big crowds
South of Mx3 use the same access roads as all previous 250 races.
Many are off the Morelia graded road.
South end of the powerline on Old P Road will lead you to RM224 at
the exit of Huatamote
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by PaulW »

User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Thanks for the info Paul!
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by PaulW »

Much better map with access . BFG steped up to the task
PW
Attachments
13-250 map.jpg
13-250 map.jpg (175.79 KiB) Viewed 705 times
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by Broncodawg »

Gotta be some good stories from you guys who went down to catch the race?
Here's a cool video with some class 3 love at 6:00 in. Motor sounds good Don.
Best part of the video is no music drowning out the engines WFO on Laguna Salada, I believe! Swear I could smell the race gas! haha!

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... 80-footage
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Score Baja 250 San Felipe

Post by Travisfab »

Good Times

Image
Post Reply