Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by baja-chris »

Not interested in changing the body. Will just race elsewhere if I have to.
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by cs_drums »

i think the old body on the newer frame is really cool! Why some one would protest a body when you have taken care to follow all the rules that would actually effect performance is crazy to me.
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by baja-chris »

I have no idea if the class 3 guys will let me run with them or not but I am continuing to finish it with the modified body regardless. The guidance Savage gave me is no longer relevant but I did go to the trouble to put the A and B pillars where they should be for that chassis.

This is only an issue for SCORE. Most other promoters don't even have class 3. There is Ultra 4x4 and Class 8.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by philofab »

I'd bet the Class 3 guys would welcome another entry.... and I'd also bet the new tech officials will be much easier to deal with.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
retroblazer
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 am
Contact:

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by retroblazer »

Protest, protest.... just kidding. The primary objectors to the rules changes have primarily been from the EB guys. I don't think will they protest the body, but allowing coilovers on all four corners for everybody is going give them heartburn.
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by PaulW »

retroblazer wrote:Protest, protest.... just kidding. The primary objectors to the rules changes have primarily been from the EB guys. I don't think will they protest the body, but allowing coilovers on all four corners for everybody is going give them heartburn.
====
Actually a EB 3 link rear with bypass shocks on the arms and double shackle leafs is perfectly legal. In front coilovers are also legal. The guys with EBs should just upgrade the suspension front and rear to modern methods and move into competitive performance. That is exactly what Chris & Glen are doing.
With some effort your Blazer could be built the same way. Front is still harder, But links will surely help.
Paul
retroblazer
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 am
Contact:

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by retroblazer »

I know that the rear leaf set-up that is under Glen/ Chris Blazer is legal, but referenced the four corner coilover status, because it is one of the major issues that may help the class move along.
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by Broncodawg »

Any updates, April's coming.
User avatar
gunit
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by gunit »

retroblazer wrote:I know that the rear leaf set-up that is under Glen/ Chris Blazer is legal, but referenced the four corner coilover status, because it is one of the major issues that may help the class move along.
Now that all of the sanctioning bodies have the 4400 (unlimited 4x4) class, you can go coil over all the way around and race wherever you want. I have decided not to bother with the leaf springs on my truck, I will be racing in 4400.
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by baja-chris »

Broncodawg wrote:Any updates, April's coming.
It's getting close. Xfer case rebuilt, driveshafts in, brakes almost complete, throttle and shifters in, working on gauge mounts, got a radiator and engine accessories. About ready to start on the engine accessory mounts, fan, radiator, shroud. Plumbing about half done. Still needs wiring and body work and have not yet put in the sides of the cab cage (waiting until done with cockpit wiring).
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by baja-chris »

gunit wrote:
retroblazer wrote:I know that the rear leaf set-up that is under Glen/ Chris Blazer is legal, but referenced the four corner coilover status, because it is one of the major issues that may help the class move along.
Now that all of the sanctioning bodies have the 4400 (unlimited 4x4) class, you can go coil over all the way around and race wherever you want. I have decided not to bother with the leaf springs on my truck, I will be racing in 4400.
Good to see SCORE has added 4400. I wonder if they will get many entries in it? Even though we went to the trouble to design our truck to run on leafs or coils, for sure it will be cheaper to race on coils. I don't blame you for giving up on class 3 now that 4400 is available everywhere. And of course our modified retro body is cool in 4400.

Dave, you racing the San Felipe 250?
User avatar
gunit
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by gunit »

I will probably not race SF, it is getting close and the car is not ready.
I am looking to race the BITD SilverState 300 in May next.
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

With the new score classes, I had also looked at moving away from class 3.. assuming mine would ever get done of course. For now I will probably keep going with my leafs, just becasue they are done, but I will most likely link it one the leafs are toast.

Keep up the god work, I really like this truck and can't wait to see more pics!
retroblazer
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 am
Contact:

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by retroblazer »

gunit wrote:
retroblazer wrote:I know that the rear leaf set-up that is under Glen/ Chris Blazer is legal, but referenced the four corner coilover status, because it is one of the major issues that may help the class move along.
Now that all of the sanctioning bodies have the 4400 (unlimited 4x4) class, you can go coil over all the way around and race wherever you want. I have decided not to bother with the leaf springs on my truck, I will be racing in 4400.
I'm bummed that we're losing another potential Class 3 entry. If the Mosses are the only ones consistantly running, the class is as good as dead. I haven't looked specifically at 4400, but how does it differ than the old SCORE Class 4?
300
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by 300 »

retroblazer wrote:
gunit wrote:
retroblazer wrote:I know that the rear leaf set-up that is under Glen/ Chris Blazer is legal, but referenced the four corner coilover status, because it is one of the major issues that may help the class move along.
Now that all of the sanctioning bodies have the 4400 (unlimited 4x4) class, you can go coil over all the way around and race wherever you want. I have decided not to bother with the leaf springs on my truck, I will be racing in 4400.
I'm bummed that we're losing another potential Class 3 entry. If the Mosses are the only ones consistantly running, the class is as good as dead. I haven't looked specifically at 4400, but how does it differ than the old SCORE Class 4?
The old SCORE class 4 was for production long wheel base trucks and is where Rod Hall accumulated most of his championships with the big Dodges. There is nothing production about the 4400 trucks, however from what I can tell it does not exclude production based trucks. The lone 4400 did pass us, but dnf'd.

Of all the trucks switching to links, how many are ready to sign on with a sponsor and run a full season? I still say that links or not has no bearing on why there are no entries out there. We expected Bunch to be at San Felipe, and he already legally has links.
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by baja-chris »

Well our new class 3 fired up and ran for the first time yesterday. It's alive. First event will be NORRA.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Awesome! I bet you're excited to get some seat time in & test it out.

Can't wait to see pics of the finished product.
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Well that was fast.... :lol:
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by yikes »

baja-chris wrote:Well our new class 3 fired up and ran for the first time yesterday. It's alive. First event will be NORRA.
Sweet!! Can't wait to see it Chris.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by yikes »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:Well that was fast.... :lol:
Lol. "I think I can. I think I can"
Post Reply