Zach's 94 Build

User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Nick »

Zach, make sure to get good quality header gaskets!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Parts, Parts and Parts

Post by Drilim »

Since my last update, I've been working like a madman and gathering parts. I started working for a new, small outfit in October and if things continue, We'll stay booked up thru July at this point. Including a full electronics and AV package on a custom 72' boat being built in Delaware. Should be headed up for the last of 3 trips in about 3 weeks to do the final hookups and sea-trials.
..Anyway

I've been scouring RDC, DR, and FSB classifields.

I picked up an almost new set of Bassani ceramic coated headers. A new in the box BBK 56mm throttlebody, Edelbrock Aluminum waterpump and a ton of ARP matched hardware, a 1-piece oil pan gasket and felpro gaskets throughout. Also picked up a sweet little black anodized aluminum block through Mcmaster Carr that has 2 inlets and 3 outlets for mechanical a gauge and low PSI sender.

On to the pics - Not much, But its better than no update at all.

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by tcm glx »

Whats the scoop on the BBK Throttle body? Big improvement with those?
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Drilim »

From the reviews I've read, its a great mid rpm torque and HP addition. Supposed to only really be noticeable if you have a good high flow air filter and a set of headers to take advantage of the improved airflow.

Ill let you know what i think of it when i get it all pieced together.
User avatar
convoy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: San Clemente

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by convoy »

I've been running the 56 BBK TB for the past 6 months or so. I noticed it whistles all the time. I like it since it sounds like a Super Charger... kind of, perhaps more annoying than anything but cool non the less. Noticed slighly better throttle response and the accelerator pedal was stiff as F&%^ but alittle WD on the TB spring and alot better.
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Drilim »

Been a while since any real progress has been made. I've been doing a ton of reading and research. The motor I'm prepping to swap has a Ford Motorsports E303 cam. A few guys on FSB have said that cam is garbage and I wont get the performance I'm looking for out of it. I've talked to other people, Damon on this site being one, and they say the exact opposite. I've been advised to advance the Cam timing 2 degrees to get the usable power-band down a bit. I also bought a used, low mileage 94 Lightning cam but am still undecided if i want to swap it out or not.

I'm not building a stump puller. Its not going to be a baja chase truck, But Id like it to have good power through out its entire RPM range. It will probably spend 90% of its life on the street or beach.

Any suggestions?


I'm also considering an EGR delete kit. I plan on deleting the thermactor pump and associated hoses to the back of the heads. Im still going to run a y-pipe with a cat, but I'd like as few parts to leave me stranded as possible. I know that losing mileage is a possibility but will drive-ability become an issue at all?

Sorry for all the questions.
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Getting Close...

Post by Drilim »

Not really much to report lately.

Rebuilt a set of stock injectors with new o-rings, pintle caps, and filters. I've cleaned, primed and etched my lower intake, accessory brackets, and the timing cover I'm going to use. I'm really excited with how well Duplicolor's Engine Enamel has gone on. I used the 'Cast Aluminum' color and it lays out great over 3 or 4 thin coats. Thanks to a tip from Sydude, I've heat cycled the paint up to about 250 degrees to get it to set and be fluid and abrasion resistant.

The timing cover is off a late 70's ford but will work with reverse rotation waterpump
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

A close up of the front of the out of the box sag pump...
Image

I hope it doesn't turn out to blingy, but it should be a nice, clean, simple look.

I also picked up a set of Foreman coil buckets from Kris (Shockseals.com) and got those in Monday afternoon but didnt get a chance to take a picture.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by SteveG »

Looking good. Nice score on the buckets.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Drilim »

Hooked up with a buddy of mine and dropped the motor off at his shop. Put in a stock mustang gt cam and new lifters. Also put in a new billet timing gear set and double roller chain.

Assembly should start this week!


Has anyone used any of the lokar dipsticks? How are they?
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Drilim »

Headed back out of town for a week of work. Pulled the old motor 2 weekends ago and pressure cleaned, wire wheeled, primed and painted the cross-member and frame rails last week. Unbelievable how much gunk and grime came out of there.

Had to swap oil pump pickups and got the oil pan on and lower intake set and torqued on. Also got the timing cover/pointer and water pump on. On a side note, of the 15 bolts in the TC/WP ARP hardware package, about 8 of them were usable. I called ARP and they had me send back the stuff I couldn't use with a list of what i needed and they had it back to me in 3 days. The guy i talked to said that ford used so many combination's of TC's and WP's over the years that its a common problem.

Still have to get the alt bracket on and swap the harness. Once its in the upper will get put on and that SHOULD be a wrap. Wishful thinking anyway.

On to the pics!

Cleaned up and ready for another 16 years of gunk:
Image

Motor on the stand:
Image

Headers on with stainless Stage 8 locking hardware:
Image

And just because:
Image

Getting excited to get it up and going.
User avatar
magic carpet XLT
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: santa cruz

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by magic carpet XLT »

BAD ASS
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Nick »

magic carpet XLT wrote:BAD ASS
X2!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Drilim »

Finally had sometime Friday after turkey day. Got the motor dropped in, but not without a few minor issues.

The biggest one being that the "Autofab" built motor mounts for JBG were wrong. I'm not sure if I recieved thewrong part, but after cursing at them and finally taking them off and holding them to both stock mounts, the studs are shifted about 3/4" forward and reverse on each side, respectively. I haven't called JBG yet, but as far as I can remember 302's and 351's have the same mount. It was 6pm on Friday and had the TC mated, so I resorted to a new set of stock mounts. I can always swap them down the line.

Had a few hours yesterday and today to try and wrap a few things up.
- New starter cables made and run
- Y-pipe fitted and installed and the rest of the exhaust figured out
- New stock high pressure steering line installed to the elusive bolt on sag pump
- Remote tranny filter re-mounted and plumbed

Hopefully will be able to get a few things done tmrw and might be able to fire it by Saturday afternoon.

That would be awesome but probably a little optimistic.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by philofab »

302 and 351 use the same mount.

My understanding is that JBG builds their own mount now and no longer buys from Autofab.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Drilim
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:28 pm
Bronco Info: 94
Location: Jupiter, Fl

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by Drilim »

I haven't had a free minute to get on the phone with them and get it figured out. Ill snap a few pictures so what you can see what I was referring to.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by yikes »

Well, it's about time you did something Zach! Haha! Can't wait to hear it run.
User avatar
BajaDale
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by BajaDale »

Not trying to sound like a "know it all" but the early timing covers don't work with the reverse rotation water pump. The ports that lead into the water pump go the wrong way? I've done this conversion a few times now. Just trying help before you get too far into the installation!! ;)
EARLY:
Image

LATER:
Image
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by SteveG »

BajaDale wrote:Not trying to sound like a "know it all" but the early timing covers don't work with the reverse rotation water pump. The ports that lead into the water pump go the wrong way? I've done this conversion a few times now. Just trying help before you get too far into the installation!! ;)
Hmm. Good to know! I had planned on keeping the stock mechanical pump to use a supply pump to a fuel accumulater for EFI (and serpentine). Thanks for the info!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
BajaDale
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by BajaDale »

SteveG wrote:
BajaDale wrote:Not trying to sound like a "know it all" but the early timing covers don't work with the reverse rotation water pump. The ports that lead into the water pump go the wrong way? I've done this conversion a few times now. Just trying help before you get too far into the installation!! ;)
Hmm. Good to know! I had planned on keeping the stock mechanical pump to use a supply pump to a fuel accumulater for EFI (and serpentine). Thanks for the info!

It would have been nice if Ford did a different bolt pattern on the covers to avoid any confusion! :oops:
User avatar
sydude
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by sydude »

Zach, lookin killer!
Post Reply