exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

westco
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Pauma Valley,Ca

exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by westco »

I caught a glimpse of a "prerunner" tacoma, wide front end, glass..etc with a exo cage around the cab. What do you guys think of a desert Bronco with a exo-cage, just thinking of interior room since I'm 6'4" and I kinda liked the look of it. Any pictures that you can share.
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by Nick »

I am by no means an expert, but it would seem to me that an exo cage wouldn't be as strong as a regular cage. Just due to how far the tubing is from the body to the frame, With a standard cage the tubing drops in right next to the tie in point.

But i might be all wrong, it's happened before...
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by philofab »

Could be an aerodynamics issue.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by Polarcub »

I have thought about this as well at times some things to consider: A cage in a prerunner/race vehicle is deigned to add rigididty to the vehicle frame, an exo as Nick already stated will not do this as efficiently but I do beleive wih some inginueity and extra steel it could be odne to adequately accomplsish the goal for a prerunner. The second biggest drawback that I see with it is now you have alot of material that is just waiting to grab bushes, catus rocks etc as you move down a fast tight section. I know for me I have alot of custom pinstriping and several good whacks as it is. I have no doubt that it is possible to cause a rollover or some other control loss at speed caused by something grabbing the exposed tubing. THird, your cage internally serves as anchor points for straps and seats, even with an exo you would need to account for this so you would have quite a bit of excess tubing that would need to be added to account for such things.
IMO it is not a practical solution, you would be better off taking the time to design a cage to work with the interior but if you go the exo route please share as there are many ways to sking the cat.
Jeremy
User avatar
PaulW
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:56 am
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by PaulW »

Good comments so far. I refer you to the thread on RaceDezert. Just do a search.
PW
User avatar
magic carpet XLT
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: santa cruz

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by magic carpet XLT »

i have seen lots of trucks with exos get hung up on their exos, and if they didn't have one it would be smooth sailing. they are ugly as sin, bulky, kill your aerodynamics, and did i mention they are ugly?
towerace1
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by towerace1 »

^^^^
I am with you, they really are ugly, you could put one on anything and it will still be ugly! I think a nice clean internal cage is the only way to go. Just my .02...
westco
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Pauma Valley,Ca

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by westco »

PaulW wrote:Good comments so far. I refer you to the thread on RaceDezert. Just do a search.
PW
Can you point me in the right direction, I don't know if it's the new format or what but I'm turning up nothing when I search on RDC.
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: exo-cage on a Go Fast Bronco....

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Build an exo cage and hang a TT body on it! The comfort of a stock bronco interior and the cool factor of a street legal trophy truck!

:lol:
Post Reply