That there is funny and you'll see why in a bit. After throwing my shit back in the bronco in the gully, I went down the hill to help with the bottleneck and went to work with two wide open cars to find a way around the hill and back to the course. They both made it up a nearby ridge and seeing that, started sending the rest of the line after them, but the trucks couldn't make it and went further on down an old road hoping to find something. The 2039 got stuck in a gully, and didn't hear until Sunday morning, that with the help of three very cool racers and codrivers, they got out, back on course and won their class, which sure makes me feel better about sending them down there and not being able to get them out..phew..haha!
When the 16 pulled up on their second lap, I'm thinking, do I send them up the now clear hill, or send them after the rest on my impromptu reroute. I'd already towed the eventual winning TT up the hill, so I sent them after the others, where they got stuck for a bit, (oh shit what have I done...haha) but then disappeared over the ridge in the distance and back to the course, I hoped!!! Feel bad about their tranny and sure wish there had been radio back there so we'd have known what to do with the racers. It wasn't until later that we learned that a plan had been put together to have all the cars at our bottleneck go backwards on the course to a road junction, take the other fork and rejoin the race course some miles down it, but by then they had all found their own way back to the course on their own. After all the cars were gone Rick came and got me and we pulled the bronco out of the gully with the dozer, that only ran til it got warm, then lost drive power, but that's a whole nother write up..haha! Thank God it was there, because my radiator was in the engine and it was a long steep pull! Huge Props to Rick and Tad for dragging me out of there and then hanging out until I got back with my trailer.
Bummer side story is that Pit A was also in the 6 mile now abandoned section of the course and just packed up and went home because they couldn't get their big trailers to the new course. They had fuel and tires for racers, so that messed up some races too. We were all on our way out of their by noon after planning to be their until late that night
In the video between 8 and 20 min in, you can just barely see me on the hill hook up to 3 or 4 rigs and wouldn't you know it, he was the next guy I'd have come after, but it wasn't gonna happen...haha! Got the shackles for Rick and his aired down BFGs and superduty hunkered down and pulled a few more guys up who tried it.
The last guy to make the hill on his own was impressive, especially since only about a dozen others made it. The now famous kid in the beautiful yellow 68 1456 Ford, aired down and slapped the hill with some TT type power, long after the hill was trashed and denying everybody. Very cool to watch and hear his 8 into 1 pipe!!! Shame what he got into later, but not going there.
Funny story about Brandon Arthur and the 1456 truck, I had stopped by there pit thursday to get some pics of the truck and out of their MH steps his granddad Bob, who is an old early bronco buddy. Great time reacquainting with them there and at tech, but the best part of the meeting is after the race, Bob gave me a rolling parts bronco from his herd to help with my rebuild. Known for a while how cool the racing familia is, but I'm still blown away and humbled by the kind gesture! Bringing a trailer down for the baja run to grab it in S.D.
Philo, when they heard you weren't going to make the race, they went out and got the dozer to replace you! You are the Messiah of retrieval....................in your dreams! LOL!
Didn't realize how much I've written, but it was a hell of an adventure and that's why I love being around this crazy sport.
Didn't get any pics at the hill but here's a couple back at main pit. Cage is tweaked worse than it looks, but still mostly cosmetic so I got lucky. Perfect time for an engine cage and redo the shock hoops!
