Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

94EddieBauer
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 EB 4inBDS Lift, 33x12.50 BFG AT, 302 Bassani Headers, Custom Bumpers/Sliders, Winch,Lights,Stereo

Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

Post by 94EddieBauer »

Ok guys, I have another thread going at fsb.com, however I would love to get a second opinion from the go-fast guys.

Stats
1994 with 180400 miles.
4in lift on 33x12.50 BFG AT
E40D - Not sure if it's the original or been rebuilt
5.0 with Bassani Headers and 3in exhaust


Here's the deal. I've owned this truck for about three years now and it will go into limp hard mode on occasion. When I was first driving it at 16(three years ago) it would do it quite often. As time went by it got progressively better, so I kinda put the issue on hold. When it was bad it would do it almost every time I drove it, and then other times when it wasn't acting up it would go 2-3 months with no problems. That being said, the erratic shifting patterns have really become quite an issue in the past six months or so. Being in college now reliability and form/function are essential.

Back in 2008-2009 Me and my dad did the following.
-Replaced the vss sensor with a motorcraft one
-Drained rear diff/new fluid and gasket
-Installed mlps (new style connector)
-Drained flushed tranny/transfer case, and put in new fresh fluid/ filter and added drain plug. (Very little sludge buildup at all and did not smell burnt)
-A full tune up was done( wires, cap , rotor) Known as sixlitre tuneup
-New Battery and associated wiring to starter and police grade wiring harness
-New starter
-New Tps sensor
-New IAC

Recently(within past year)
-Punisher valve body(street) was installed
-recently put in fresh fluid about 3 months ago
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Many new hoses on air pump system(Thermactor System) and new exhaust check valve

When it does go into limp mode it will sometimes do the whole limp thing really hard and other times it is much more subtle however I can tell immediatly what is going on being that I drive it everyday. I have been relucatant to take it to a shop because most will often just tell you you need a rebuild for 2-3k . I would hate to spend that kind of money and the problem just come right back. The speedo does not go haywire leading me to believe that my vss signal is good?? Also , no O/D light flashing

At this point I really am not sure where to turn. I am leaning towards a bad signal somewhere along the lines of abs/psom system. I say this because I recently pulled codes and recieved a 452 with KOEO. ( I own a nice code reader btw) I am going to test the abs module tomorrow. I pulled it off today and checked for loose/bad connections. It did seem a bit dirty so I sprayed it with diode electrical cleaner along with a few others that looked to be dirty. Drove it right after and straight back to limp mode.

Note- Just would like to add that when I did the ghetto abs test on a wet road today and slammed on the brakes, they did not pulsate like an abs system is supposed to. Just a thought.


I could really use some advice as to where to turn and what to check for. It goes into limp about everytime I drive it creating some serious reliability issues. My odometer reads 180400 at the moment. The last time I drained fluid I did not smell burnt fluid at all.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Patrick
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

Post by philofab »

The transmission normally shifts hard if any type of slip occurs. Your truck may just need a rebuild. My E4OD did the same thing from 170k to 190k when I finally rebuilt it. It had never been rebuilt.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

Post by Polarcub »

I had an issue similiar to this in my F350 and it was the result of water getting into the main ECM box. When it would rain especiallly it would go wonkers and then clear up.
Jeremy
94EddieBauer
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 EB 4inBDS Lift, 33x12.50 BFG AT, 302 Bassani Headers, Custom Bumpers/Sliders, Winch,Lights,Stereo

Re: Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

Post by 94EddieBauer »

Polarcub wrote:I had an issue similiar to this in my F350 and it was the result of water getting into the main ECM box. When it would rain especiallly it would go wonkers and then clear up.

Im about to go outside and take a look at that. Thanks!
94EddieBauer
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 EB 4inBDS Lift, 33x12.50 BFG AT, 302 Bassani Headers, Custom Bumpers/Sliders, Winch,Lights,Stereo

Re: Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

Post by 94EddieBauer »

Did abs the blinking light test this morning,with the amber abs light in dash, and got a code 16- System Pass. Since it is intermittently acting up, may it not throw a code when the abs module is working effectively?
kylesgorter
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Re: Help tracking E40D Issue/ After Searching

Post by kylesgorter »

I would carefully inspect the wiring harness from the mlps and especially from the solenoids. You said you checked the abs system, does that mean you arent getting any continous memory codes from the main ecm? If you go into limp mode there will be a trans code.

Im gonna bet here that you have an issue with the solenoid connector/plug based on what you have replaced and checked thus far.


On a side note, how is the punisher valvebody?
Post Reply