Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: How about a cage thread.......
I have pictures of it.. neener neener neeeeenerrrrrr
Re: How about a cage thread.......
We tucked my cage as well...I'm glad we spent the extra time getting it tight well worth it!
- Agui-E7TE
- Posts: 1483
- Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:50 am
- Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear
Re: How about a cage thread.......
Rwies wrote:We tucked my cage as well...I'm glad we spent the extra time getting it tight well worth it!
Yeah, I can vouch for that, haha! I didn't even realize it was caged until I did a double take. I really like how it turned out.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: How about a cage thread.......
Unless you run a Mastercraft Baja series seat...philofab wrote:Be aware that high back suspension seats are so tall they will hit the roof before flipping forward enough to get in the back.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: How about a cage thread.......
Rwies wrote:We tucked my cage as well...I'm glad we spent the extra time getting it tight well worth it!
Any pics?
Re: How about a cage thread.......
Ill try and get some pics up this weekend. Im so overdue, ive had the cage finished for about 6 months now and havent posted any pics of the cage on my build thread.tcm glx wrote:Rwies wrote:We tucked my cage as well...I'm glad we spent the extra time getting it tight well worth it!
Any pics?
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: How about a cage thread.......
Rwies wrote:Ill try and get some pics up this weekend. Im so overdue, ive had the cage finished for about 6 months now and havent posted any pics of the cage on my build thread.tcm glx wrote:Rwies wrote:We tucked my cage as well...I'm glad we spent the extra time getting it tight well worth it!
Any pics?
Well.......
Re: How about a cage thread.......
I was pretty busy this weekend and didn't get around to it.. Will post some this week
Re: How about a cage thread.......
Any one on here have any experience with JBG's cages?
- sydude
- Posts: 282
- Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am
- Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers
- Location: Westchester, NY
- Contact:
How about a cage thread.......
I do - I bought the full family cage, but installed only the rear half. I used it for about a year, and just sold it as I'm building a new cage I designed. I think the JBG cage is good for someone who wants an inexpensive and easy to install family cage for added general use protection. The rear half looks good and fits nicely, but the front half was too loosely fitting for my taste, not wrapped tightly enough to the dash, etc.Seabass wrote:Any one on here have any experience with JBG's cages?
Be aware that the tubing is HREW, not DOM. Again, I think it's ok for general use, but not sure I'd want to roll it at 70mph. Also, the seatbelt mounting tabs for the rear seats aren't included, those are pieces I added.
Finally, the kit is actually made by Protofab (protofab4x4.com I think)
Here is link to more info on my cage:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... light=Cage
Here are some pics of the rear half, plus pics of the uninstalled front front half (the rolled windshield bar is my work - the JBG kit uses a straight piece with a single bend in the middle):






















[/QUOTE]Re: How about a cage thread.......
That looks slick, whats the damage$ on that? The link didn't work for me. Curious as to how the front will turn out.
- Copykat
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 am
- Bronco Info: 1987 BroncoII 4x4
- Location: Manitoba Canada
Amount of tube needed for cage
Going to be ordering tube to do a simple cage in my bronco. Just need to know how much would be needed. The 1.66 OD tube comes in 24 foot sticks. Would I be ok to say that 5 sticks would be enough to do it?
1987 BroncoII 4x4
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
Kind of too ambiguous of a question. What constitutes "simple" in your mind as this can be interpreted differently by different people.
Safe to assume you're going from the A-pillar all the way to the back by the rear hatch/door?
5 sticks will probably be enough but it depends on how much "lacing" you will do & how many diagonals, etc. Add a bunch of details like this & you will be cutting it close.
Safe to assume you're going from the A-pillar all the way to the back by the rear hatch/door?
5 sticks will probably be enough but it depends on how much "lacing" you will do & how many diagonals, etc. Add a bunch of details like this & you will be cutting it close.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
I agree with what Steve says, but I would think 5 sticks will be about right to start with. You'll have some rems that aren't the right length in the end and possibly a misbend here and there depending on your level of skill and the complexity of the cage. I try to do the big pieces of the structure first and then use the drop for gussets, door bars, and what not.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
Good points. Get all the big stuff done 1st & use smaller stuff to fill in.
I guess it also boils down to whether or not you want the possibility of having excess tube around if you overshoot, or if you're ok with making another order if you come up short. Many places will give a bit of a pricing discount at 200 or 300' so this may effect the answer to the above.
I guess it also boils down to whether or not you want the possibility of having excess tube around if you overshoot, or if you're ok with making another order if you come up short. Many places will give a bit of a pricing discount at 200 or 300' so this may effect the answer to the above.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- Copykat
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 am
- Bronco Info: 1987 BroncoII 4x4
- Location: Manitoba Canada
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
Just looking for something basic and not a race ready cage. But a foundation to one should it escalate that direction.
Just want something that will afford a bit more protection incase of a mishap. So I know my boys will be safer.
Just thinking the b and c pillar hoops will use about 12 foot of tube each, then the halo and a pillar bars, dash bar and laterals to keep things from flopping around. Rear diaganals from b to c pillars.
On the fence regarding an X on the B pillar hoop. Being a 2 door getting in the back would be near impossible.
Maybe add a hoop just behind the rear seats so I could attach a set of shoulder belts rather than rely on the lap belts.
I can get the .12 wall for around $1.90/ft, and the .10 wall for around $1.83/ft.
I'll be getting the tube through a shop I deal with at work. But they have to order it. It's common and not special order, so I could get another stick should I need. Within a couple days.
Trying to keep it around the $250 range, and that would get me about 5 sticks of the .12 wall.
Just want something that will afford a bit more protection incase of a mishap. So I know my boys will be safer.
Just thinking the b and c pillar hoops will use about 12 foot of tube each, then the halo and a pillar bars, dash bar and laterals to keep things from flopping around. Rear diaganals from b to c pillars.
On the fence regarding an X on the B pillar hoop. Being a 2 door getting in the back would be near impossible.
Maybe add a hoop just behind the rear seats so I could attach a set of shoulder belts rather than rely on the lap belts.
I can get the .12 wall for around $1.90/ft, and the .10 wall for around $1.83/ft.
I'll be getting the tube through a shop I deal with at work. But they have to order it. It's common and not special order, so I could get another stick should I need. Within a couple days.
Trying to keep it around the $250 range, and that would get me about 5 sticks of the .12 wall.
1987 BroncoII 4x4
- ESHALLBETTER
- Posts: 1588
- Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
- Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
How are you bending tubing? Thats kind of an unusual OD?
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
ESHALLBETTER wrote:How are you bending tubing? Thats kind of an unusual OD?
Pipe or Metric. Sounds like 42MM tube.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- Copykat
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 am
- Bronco Info: 1987 BroncoII 4x4
- Location: Manitoba Canada
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
Canadian......so it's metric. I told them to Spec HREW tube and not "Pipe". It's not a comp cage and I know the drawbacks and where to place the seam.
1.50" and 1.75" is special order, and so is anything DOM.
1.50" and 1.75" is special order, and so is anything DOM.
1987 BroncoII 4x4
- ESHALLBETTER
- Posts: 1588
- Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
- Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
Re: Amount of tube needed for cage
Awe! Metric! It's all so perfectly clear to me now!
