Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Aren't you afraid of cracking your melon on those down tubes behind the seat?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
They are nowhere near my head. I have a fist plus of room in there strapped in loosely wrenching head in all directions, including up.
Heading out to Barstow Friday after work, till Saturday eve. Any GFBers gonna be out there?
Mike
Heading out to Barstow Friday after work, till Saturday eve. Any GFBers gonna be out there?
Mike
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Lucky SOB! I wish I could join you Mikey. The Silver Bullet Bronco will be done for a little while but when she is up and running I'll definitely join you.
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Don't worry the bronco is in pretty sad shape from KOH weekend, I am just gonna take it easy (at least I keep telling myself that) 
Mike
Mike
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Just a quick day trip. Only put on like 60-70 miles. But had tons of fun.









Next on the agenda is single swing steering. I have everything I need minus tubing and 4 misalignments.
Mike









Next on the agenda is single swing steering. I have everything I need minus tubing and 4 misalignments.
Mike
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Looks like fun! I need to learn MIG & be less picky so I can finish something & actually enjoy it...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- Pre Run It
- Posts: 203
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:53 am
- Bronco Info: 93' 5.8 glass F & B 2.5 pro series FOX with Res, Caged, bfg projects beadlocks currie
- Location: Temecula, Ca
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
What radio Headsets are you running ? The wife says she doesnt want to yell anymore.
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
I knew someone was gonna ask. I just picked the setup up. It's an old British made rally car setup. No idea who makes it or what the headsets are, but I bought it stupid cheap and it works awesome. Best part of all, it's hands down the best investment so far, My truck is LOUD with no interior in the rear, and these headsets make me well like I am cruising threw the desert in a new Cadillac.
I still need to figure out how to hook it up to my radio.
Mike
I still need to figure out how to hook it up to my radio.
Mike
- Pre Run It
- Posts: 203
- Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:53 am
- Bronco Info: 93' 5.8 glass F & B 2.5 pro series FOX with Res, Caged, bfg projects beadlocks currie
- Location: Temecula, Ca
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Yeah Im not really wanting to drop $500 on a set of two. Im not sure if there is a less expensive way to go about it. By the way I dig the bronco I went back to Page 1 and checked out the build and change of hands it has had. Good job.
- DirtFiend602
- Posts: 385
- Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm
- Bronco Info: 86' go faster
- Location: baghdad, AZ
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Mikey those pics are so awesome. front end looks like it cycles real well! Any tips on cutting the rear quarters like you did?
also... cheaper alternative for prerun intercom set up... get a bluetooth ready head unit and a receiver/transmitter BT and youre good to go! no wires!
http://www.botachtactical.com/pemtgbblhe.html
also... cheaper alternative for prerun intercom set up... get a bluetooth ready head unit and a receiver/transmitter BT and youre good to go! no wires!
http://www.botachtactical.com/pemtgbblhe.html
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
The corners were cut when I bought the truck. But it's a simple as pie, just use some tape and lay it ou. After taking some measurements to insure both sides are even, make some marks and draw a straight line in the tape and cut away.
Mike
Mike
- DirtFiend602
- Posts: 385
- Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:07 pm
- Bronco Info: 86' go faster
- Location: baghdad, AZ
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
No reinforcing? Seems like that affects integrity of the bedsides
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Nope, the bedsides don't do much for structure on these trucks anyways.
Mike
Mike
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Building new steering for the truck for Mojave Road, becuase I am sick of bending stock steering.


Oh no wait that's not steering! That's the shock hoop, well the old shock hoop.
This truck is running 17" tall Bilstein Coilovers and as you can imagine, shock packaging is TIGHT! before with the old setup I was loosing about 4" of bump travel and the shock angle was terrible. I didn't stop the truck from working good though so I was going to leave it.
Fast forward to yesterday This truck didn't come with any front bumps and it's last 500 or so off road miles have been pretty brutal and those hoops weren't happy, so pretty much the truck was begging me to build new ones, so I obliged.
strapped bump and droop

New bump numbers

Strapped droop on the passenger side.

Sneak peak of the new not finished front shock hoops


I'll try and keep the progress pictures coming.
Mike


Oh no wait that's not steering! That's the shock hoop, well the old shock hoop.
This truck is running 17" tall Bilstein Coilovers and as you can imagine, shock packaging is TIGHT! before with the old setup I was loosing about 4" of bump travel and the shock angle was terrible. I didn't stop the truck from working good though so I was going to leave it.
Fast forward to yesterday This truck didn't come with any front bumps and it's last 500 or so off road miles have been pretty brutal and those hoops weren't happy, so pretty much the truck was begging me to build new ones, so I obliged.
strapped bump and droop

New bump numbers

Strapped droop on the passenger side.

Sneak peak of the new not finished front shock hoops


I'll try and keep the progress pictures coming.
Mike
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Got some more work done tonight. Driver side is done minus bumps and straps.




Only have a week and a half to get her ready for the trip, so it's gonna be close!!!!!!!!
Mike




Only have a week and a half to get her ready for the trip, so it's gonna be close!!!!!!!!
Mike
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
That looks great Mike!
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
Is there enough room to get the booster off?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
IT'S TIGHT! I guess I'll find out when I cross that road. worst case scenario it's only metal 
Mike
Mike
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
If you ever have to change it... just cut the old one out and make a longer rod to relocate it in front of the mount. Easiest way to get the shock mount where it needs to be.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- only1mikey
- Posts: 494
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 84 Bronco
- Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
or go hydroboost but yeah good call!
Mike
Mike
