CV jointed -Threads merged.
- Deleted Account
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm
- Bronco Info: depends on what day
- Location: Ramona, California
Re: CV jointed TTB
I would be super intrested in a set of the rcvs Tom. Iv been meaning to look into it for a while and ill get you an angle today.
Mark Kiefer
Southwest Performance
858-449-2292
http://www.southwestperformance.net
Pics
http://www.photobucket.com/home/southwe ... /allalbums
http://www.facebook.com/SouthwestPerformance
Southwest Performance
858-449-2292
http://www.southwestperformance.net
Pics
http://www.photobucket.com/home/southwe ... /allalbums
http://www.facebook.com/SouthwestPerformance
Re: CV jointed TTB
Our axles CAN be run on a dd and are ok for freeway use. Maintenance wise they are basically they are the same as a u-joint. If you don't keep grease in them they will fail. Do you remember where you read that.DukeSky wrote:RCV joints are the bomb to replace the Brifields, I read that they do not recommend putting them on a daily drive or any freeway driving with the RCV joints? Can you shed some light on why? Thanks
What axle did you have? I have a dana 44hd at home that I just replaced with a dana 50. I think Sean has dimensions for a 44, I'll try to remember to ask him tomorrow. The local LKQ yard is half price this weekend so I may pull a dana 44 out of a Bronco or F150 to check clearances and make a mock up. Can't beat 85$ for a complete axle.gunit wrote:I sent Sean Carlini my axles last summer to measure. You guys were going to build me a set to test in my race car but after several months I had to get my old axles back. Sean said he would send me a set when available and I would still like to try the RCV axles if you produce them.
When a complete set of axles is made I'll try to get an axle in a jig to show the max angles.
Re: CV jointed TTB
I sent you a complete set hub to hub. The slip yoke and long axle were custom with a longer slip than stock. The rest were factory shafts.
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: CV jointed TTB
Not going to hold my breath!
I've sent RCV perhaps 6 emails inquiring about their shafts and received zero response.
Have to say. Contact was immediate!
I've sent RCV perhaps 6 emails inquiring about their shafts and received zero response.
Have to say. Contact was immediate!
Re: CV jointed TTB
The first set of D44 ttb axles have been sent out for testing. Here's a picture of the passenger side shaft assembly. The differential stub is on the top and the wheel stub on the bottom.
- Attachments
-
- ttb.jpg (186.68 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
Re: CV jointed TTB
I see that this set is for the C clip 3rd member. Have you built one t
For the stronger bolt in style?
For the stronger bolt in style?
Re: CV jointed TTB
Don't know Sean has look at one of those. If somebody has a shaft they want to send to us we can make the bar.
Re: CV jointed TTB
===RCVTom wrote:The first set of D44 ttb axles have been sent out for testing. Here's a picture of the passenger side shaft assembly. The differential stub is on the top and the wheel stub on the bottom.
What is the diameter of the inner boot. So I can decide how big the bubble on the beam will need to be.
Or is it the same size as the stock boot?
Can any one tell how to convert the "C" to the bolted? I assume all that is needed is to press on the bearing after the plate and seal are added? School us on that mod to what is shown
PaulW
Re: CV jointed TTB
It is the same as the joint in our solid axle dana 44 kits, about 3.75".
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: CV jointed TTB
So my question is what is the benefit using the CV VS the U joint? Is it strength or better angles for better travel. I like the idea and think there is a market for it but dont think we all can see the advantages.
Jeremy
Re: CV jointed TTB
CV joints are stronger and can operating at greater angles than u- joints.
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: CV jointed TTB
It would be cool to give these a shot on my build that desert concepts is doing for me just wish my budget supported it I am going 4 over on the front. Looking forward to hearing how the test set works out.
Jeremy
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: CV jointed TTB
Seems like they would run smoother too...RCVTom wrote:CV joints are stronger and can operating at greater angles than u- joints.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: CV jointed TTB
If you clock the u-joints right they make 0 vibration.Dust wrote:Seems like they would run smoother too...RCVTom wrote:CV joints are stronger and can operating at greater angles than u- joints.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
Dust
- Posts: 781
- Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
- Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
- Location: Central Oregon
Re: CV jointed TTB
In theory.philofab wrote:If you clock the u-joints right they make 0 vibration.Dust wrote:Seems like they would run smoother too...RCVTom wrote:CV joints are stronger and can operating at greater angles than u- joints.
There is the issue of dissimilar angle amongst other things particularly in the center joint.
Added to the fact that many of us float the right shaft to make it easier to replace in the field.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: CV jointed TTB
Mine runs smooth until the manual trans overheats. Dam 4-lo doesn't like 5K rpm in 5th.Dust wrote:In theory.
There is the issue of dissimilar angle amongst other things particularly in the center joint.
Added to the fact that many of us float the right shaft to make it easier to replace in the field.
I have the spring mod in my front end too.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
ogre20012001
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:31 pm
- Bronco Info: 1989 bronco
Re: CV jointed TTB
what kinda price are we talking about with the shafts. i like the idea and might be willing to try them out if the price is right.
1989 Ford Bronco 2.5" lift 33" tires Detorit True-Trac front and rear with 4.56 gears. and soon to install a mile marker 8000lbs Electric Winch!
- Deleted Account
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm
- Bronco Info: depends on what day
- Location: Ramona, California
Re: CV jointed TTB
they are expensive.. and really nice.
Mark Kiefer
Southwest Performance
858-449-2292
http://www.southwestperformance.net
Pics
http://www.photobucket.com/home/southwe ... /allalbums
http://www.facebook.com/SouthwestPerformance
Southwest Performance
858-449-2292
http://www.southwestperformance.net
Pics
http://www.photobucket.com/home/southwe ... /allalbums
http://www.facebook.com/SouthwestPerformance
Re: CV jointed TTB
The current price is set at 1995$. I know its high but our basic D44 straight axle kit is 1285$. The TTB shafts require more parts and more machining. Also keep in mind our D44 solid axle shafts are capable of up to 40" tires. All the shafts are 4340 and the joints are 300m. They will have the same "You break it, we replace it" warranty as all our other kits.
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: CV jointed TTB
I just shat a little...
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
