Ice chest / Cooler tech
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Ice chest / Cooler tech
I am thinking about putting suspension seats in the back of my Bronco in place of the bench. I was thinking a cooler would be nice as a rear center console. It would free space up in the cargo area and be easier to access. Who makes the toughest cooler? I wouldn't mind paying 100-200 dollars since it will be permanently installed (bolted down). What is everyone's thoughts? Should I just build one out of aluminum?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
I think that's a "Cool" idea! Coleman ice chests have never let me down, and they come in many different sizes.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
I have been thinking about building a dual layered one (outer skin then styrofoam then inner skin) out of 18ga or so stainless and mounting it in the ex-cab portion of the supercab. I would have a drain tube in the bottom that would exit through the cab floor. I am undecided on whether I would leave this open at all times or put a valve on it.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- Rednek Renegade
- Posts: 123
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Xlt 5.8L 4V H.O. C6, NP2o8
- Location: Rancho Cucamonga, So.Cal
- Contact:
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
I have been eyeballin this lil 12 pack electric cooler, no ice needed, 12v, and only $25. But how the hell would'ya mount it?
Project el cheap-o
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
I get about 6 months out of a Coleman from Walmart. The lid rips off or it starts cracking everywhere.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
Broncodawg
- Posts: 711
- Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
- Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
- Location: Bishop, CA
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
ARB electric fridge would be sweet, but hard to fit. Cheap elctrics are a waste of money. If you bolt it down, it'll become a moldy science project the first time you forget to clean and dry it out. Been there.....
Rig up some good straps for it and call it good.
Rig up some good straps for it and call it good.
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
Cabellas sells a stainless cooler.they are sweet.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
So how much faster will this make the truck in the whoops? Should we put one in the race car? Okay you can ban me now and send me to FSB!
- magic carpet XLT
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
- Location: santa cruz
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
mount the drain over your rear shock resis so you can have real time shock cooling.
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
Hahaha! Hey, are you saying that the mods aren't doing their jobs?MOSS2 wrote:So how much faster will this make the truck in the whoops? Should we put one in the race car? Okay you can ban me now and send me to FSB!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
I used to put my 5 day cooler on the rear floor but it get so hot the ice goes way to fast. I put 2" of styrafoam under the removable carpet and that helped. Now I just strap the thing on the stock bench seat for longer trips. More than doubled the ice life. For one day trips I use the floor and a smaller cooler and the ice is gone when I get home.
PW
PW
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
Maybe I should have put this in general tech. I'm just trying to figure out how to keep some drinks cold and still have room for my spare and a spare for a race car. Right now with the cooler strapped down over the top (handles rip off it you strap to them) it's a pain to get to and uses a lot of space up.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
Ken, it's all about placement. A filled ice chest position can make or break the balance of a whoop-eating machine. Also, the contents can make or break the hours of downtime post-carnage.MOSS2 wrote:So how much faster will this make the truck in the whoops? Should we put one in the race car? Okay you can ban me now and send me to FSB!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Re: Ice chest / Cooler tech
We're talking weight distribution, more mass in the center of the truck keeps it stable, and if properly placed, the sloshing of the ice/water/cans in the cooler can shift the weight dynamically and counter-act the tendency for the nose and tail of the truck to get off sync and try to swap placesSteveG wrote:Ken, it's all about placement. A filled ice chest position can make or break the balance of a whoop-eating machine. Also, the contents can make or break the hours of downtime post-carnage.MOSS2 wrote:So how much faster will this make the truck in the whoops? Should we put one in the race car? Okay you can ban me now and send me to FSB!
On the 8th day God created cordite...then things really went to ****
