Anyway, I just posted this on FSB today and thought that I would cut and paste it here.
Hello -
I would like to get some feedback from you members with more experience with Broncos and F150s. I would like to improve on my ride and would like some opinions on how I should go about it.
For starters, I will shed some light on what I already have:
1995 XLT with 110k miles
5.8
K&N Intake
MSD Distributor and wires
E4OD (Rebuilt)
Switched from electric transfer case to a manual lever
4:10s
8.8 rear end with drums.
C&T beams that I think are stock length, but not sure (my tie rods have been lengthened, so I don't know if that means the beams are wider, or if it is just to make up for the lift) When I bought the truck, I was told that Perry McNeil did the front end at one time.
Custom coil buckets with dual shock mounts (behind the bucket, side by side and mounted to the radius arm) Also supposedly Perry McNeil
I think 5 or so inch coils that may be Deaver's
Stock radius arms that have been modified and beefed up, but are stock length with bushings.
Deaver's in the rear
Crap, off the shelf shocks. x2 per wheel in the front and x1 per wheel in the rear.
Glass on all four corners ( the fronts have some gaping and fitment issues.
Stock interior that is a little dirty.
The truck runs great, but does need new rotors and I have some popping and creaking noises from the suspension and I am not sure what it is. I was thinking bushings, or loose rivets, etc. Aside from that, it handles well on the road, with the exception of a little play in the steering, but it is not all over the road and tracks great.
I would post pics of my Bronco and shock mounts and spring buckets, but I do not have access to a hosting site here at work. If someone would like to post them for me, please PM me your email and I would be greatful
So, my plan is to do the following:
Fix the brakes
Improve upon the suspension
Get a glass hood, maybe some better fitting front fenders and paint the truck. It is currently all flat black. (This is important to me. I like a nice looking ride
I would also like to replace the front seats with some nice Mastercrafts or equivalent. Note: I do plan a cage in the future, but not at this time. I was thinking of having someone fabricate some nice mounts for the new seats, that maybe could be integrated into a cage down the road, or maybe just adapt the seats to the OEM mounts, if it is possible. What are your thoughts on the mounting?
So, now for the bigger questions:
1) Front Suspension Options: (I figured I could go a few different ways with it) Also keep in mind that I am not sure if I will go coil over in the future, or not. Note that I want to keep my AC
A) Keep what I have for beams in the front, get some extended radius arms with heims and mount one 2.5" bypass per front wheel, using the the shock mount behind the coil that I already have.
B) Keep what I have for beams in the front, get some extended radius arms with heims and mount dual 2.5 resis per front wheel, using the the shock mount behind the coil that I already have.
C) Keep what I have for beams in the front, get some extended radius arms with heims, modify my buckets by removing the rear shock mounts and have some shock hoops/engine cage installed, then install one of the following shock options:
i) Also remove the buckets and install a single 2.5" Race Runner coil over per front wheel.
ii) Keep the buckets and install a threaded 2.5 Race Runner resi shock wth no coils (Would be ready to go coil over in the future)
iii) Keep the buckets and install a threaded 2.5 FOA resi shock and add either an additional 2.5 Race Runner piggy back or 2.5 Race Runner bypass, if the budget allows.
iv) Keep the buckets and the current behind the bucket shock mounts, install a longer shock mount on the front of the bucket, install a long shock in front of the bucket and a shorter one behind the bucket (Autofab style)
I will maybe add some bump cans to the front, if I can afford it.
Keep in mind that I am trying to accomplish this by only spending what I have to, in order to have a decent performing front suspension, but not have to re-invent the wheel and replace everything I have, if I want to go coil over in the future.
This is not my pimary vehicle, but it has become my daily driver on some days. It will probably see about 60% street and 40% prerunning for races and off roading on hunting trips, etc.
So what would you all choose for my mods on the front of the Bronco? Would I be better off just designing a kick a$$ coil bucket set up, or should I plan on going coil over in the future? If so, which route on both options?
As for the rear, here is what I have planned: (Already have the Bronco 2.5 wide Deaver's)
Higher shock mount in the rear, but still under the tub and using x1 12" stroke 2.5 Race Runner piggy back Resis or bypass per wheel (bypass depends on budget) and adding a 2 link.
I will maybe add some bump cans to the rear, if I can afford it.
Now I just have to decide on a builder. From reading a lot on this site, I know of most of the different builders. I live in Corona and work in OC, so geography as well as price will have a bearing on my decision. I may flex on location, if the price is good enough.
I also have some questions on shock placement for the front:
I see a lot of different methods out there. Some builders are doing the coil over in the front and a bypass in the rear and others are doing the opposite. Which is better for what reason?
The same goes when using buckets. I see one shock behind the bucket, two behind it, as well as one behind, with a longer one in front of it. What are the advantages of each method?
Also, what sizes of shocks should be used when going coil over and what sizes should be used when going with custom buckets?
I know this is a long post and I respectfully thank in advance, anyone who shares there thoughts or advice with me.
xrider
