anyone ever deal with kuster shocks? i finally got the rebuld kits from my buddy,and was going to tear into mine.
i was just wondering if there was anything special i need to know,since these are so old.
i know i have to go down and find o-ringd for the bypass valves,because the kits i have dont have any and was told they dont come in the kits for my particular shocks.
any help,pictures etc would be great!!
KUSTER SHOCK REBUILDING
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
KUSTER SHOCK REBUILDING
- Attachments
-
- DSCF3538.JPG (186.17 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: SHOCK REBUILDING
I don't know anything about them, but I would try http://herculesus.com for non-standard seals. I used them to get the "no longer available" seals for my 4.0" Swayaways.
Swayaway recently started building the Kuster stuff again. I imagine they've used more modern seals in them. Maybe the rod guides and seal packs are interchangeable with the older stuff. It's worth looking into.
Swayaway recently started building the Kuster stuff again. I imagine they've used more modern seals in them. Maybe the rod guides and seal packs are interchangeable with the older stuff. It's worth looking into.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: SHOCK REBUILDING
thanks steve i will call SAW and see if i can get info.
the seal kits i have came from karteks(kurt y.)he told the guy i got them from that he got the kits from king.
i will definatly call sway away tho.
i wish brett would have numbered these things when he built them for kuster oil.....haha
i have only found 1 other set of these shocks that would have been a match to these.
the seal kits i have came from karteks(kurt y.)he told the guy i got them from that he got the kits from king.
i will definatly call sway away tho.
i wish brett would have numbered these things when he built them for kuster oil.....haha
i have only found 1 other set of these shocks that would have been a match to these.
Re: KUSTER SHOCK REBUILDING
I've got a set of triple by-pass shocks (3.0) that I took off the TT Killer and replaced with Kings. The only reason I replaced them is because the anodized ends were ogering out and the cup bearings are always loose. The only way to fix them is to replace the ends with King ends AND shafts. No big deal but I figured I'd just buy new ones and spend another $1000. My Kusters are still in great shape but parts are hard to come by, I heard Kurt Leduc has parts but I think everyone knows that and now he is either running out or not willing to part with them anymore. Good luck. I'm saving mine for the Bronco....one of these days.
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: KUSTER SHOCK REBUILDING
i havent torn into them yet.i have replaced the hiems on them, they are a common 3/4 in hiem.
so they dont clang any more....
i am going to try and open them up this week.i just need to get some oil to refill them. they have leaks.....
hey rory..................... any idea how much oil goes into these things??haha
i am also going to get hoses made for the resivoirs. i need to find a shop that can make some up for me.
so they dont clang any more....
i am going to try and open them up this week.i just need to get some oil to refill them. they have leaks.....
hey rory..................... any idea how much oil goes into these things??haha
i am also going to get hoses made for the resivoirs. i need to find a shop that can make some up for me.
Re: KUSTER SHOCK REBUILDING
Scott, you can make your own resivors. Go down to your local auto parts store (not an Autozone, maybe a hose company). I made all my P/S and automatic trans lines out of the high pressure lines with fittings. Easy to do, no special tools. Very cheap to do and will work just as well. I have had no problems (Knock on wood) with any of my lines over the past 3 years of racing. As for the shock oil, you better get a gallon for 2 shocks.
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: KUSTER SHOCK REBUILDING
I have hoses made at a local place here... $40 for two 24" long hoses with a 90 o-ring on one end and straight o-ring on the other. The guys said pipe fittings would be cheaper.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
