Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Races, meets, etc
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

The Annual Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb is on again, and I will have a busy weekend. This hillclimb has been running for many years, and is famous state wide. Run by the Vintage Sports Car Club in the picturesque old gold rush town of Maldon, cars of all vintages (older than 1972) come to test their mettle on the course. The Bendigo Car Club works in conjuction with VSCC to run the event, and I offered my time to volunteer and help out. I will be picking up a heap of plastic road barriers on Sat morning and heading up to help set up the course, and to be a flag official during the runs on Saturday and Sunday. Of course, I will be taking pictures and I will update on Saturday and Sunday night. I unloaded my new TTB tonight in preparation (forgot how heavy those darned beams were) :shock: so I can fit some barriers in the back. Stashed my new rims in the garage too (cant let the wife know about them yet :oops: ). If I had have had some notice for the hillclimb, I would have got the Mustang out of storage to have a run, but its too young and getting sold next month. I have to finance my F100's upgrades somehow. :roll: Anyway, I will post updates over the weekend and hope to give a good report.
Cheers.
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
300
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by 300 »

Mustang? Have you told us about that? Looking forward to hillclimb pics.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

Yeah, I have a '88 Coupe, ex Santa Monica PD detectives car. It is a genuine SSV, with all the Police upgrades from Ford. I used to use it as a weekend club racer and the rare hillclimb, but its been in dry storage for a few years now. I get it out every few months and drive it, change fluids, etc. Being still LHD, I cant register it yet and I already had a major saga trying to have it converted to RHD once. It would have been nice to give it one last run, but........ its that time.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

Saturday update: EDIT UPDATE:
Got to the hillclimb nice and early, we got into putting out the barriers and setting up spectator fences, etc. I didnt get much time for pics, but dragging rubbish bins in to position, I got to see some nice old machinery. See some of the pics below.
On the way there, I sat the camera on the dash and snapped a pic. The road was too rough to drive and take pics, so I concentrated on getting there safely:
PA150636.JPG
PA150636.JPG (81.78 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
setting up the start point, watching the timing guys get ready and doing odd jobs to get the ball rolling on time:
PA150637.JPG
PA150637.JPG (73.29 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
This was all hands on deck to get set up. I only had time for a few pics while getting stuff in position and running errends to set up bunting barriers and star pickets.
PA150639.JPG
PA150639.JPG (74.17 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
PA150640.JPG
PA150640.JPG (88.14 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
I might find time to go to the RobRoy Hillclimb in Gippsland, Victoria in November, but it will depend on time availability. There, I can snap heaps of pictures and see some more modern cars in action.
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

More start line pics:
PA150641.JPG
PA150641.JPG (73.49 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
PA150642.JPG
PA150642.JPG (72.07 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Nice vintage cars... Lancia:
PA150643.JPG
PA150643.JPG (73.04 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Jowett Jupiter, with a Bristol convertable in the background, driven by a lady driver:
PA150644.JPG
PA150644.JPG (80.17 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

nice 350 powered Camaro, very quick aparently, being the winner the last 2 years, with the tail of one of the Bugatti cars visble in Scrutineering:
PA150647.JPG
PA150647.JPG (73.76 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Valiant Charger 6pak, its towing Valiant Ute is in the background of the Camaro pic:
PA150648.JPG
PA150648.JPG (72.59 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Some nice old bikes, Norton, a Villiers in the foreground, a Jap 4 cyl bike behind and an AJS:
PA150653.JPG
PA150653.JPG (75.2 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
One seriously fast Norton, this guy was brave!:
PA150654.JPG
PA150654.JPG (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

More bikes:
The Rudge, that high-sided Sunday:
PA150656.JPG
PA150656.JPG (73.28 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
the AJS:
PA150655.JPG
PA150655.JPG (76.3 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
another quick Norton, although the rider wasnt as brave as the rider on the yellow Norton :lol:
PA150657.JPG
PA150657.JPG (73.02 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
My checkpoint and Saturday assistant:
PA150658.JPG
PA150658.JPG (72.48 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

Some old cars in action:
flathead powered Ford Special:
PA150659.JPG
PA150659.JPG (73.89 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
The Chrysler flathead Special:
PA150660.JPG
PA150660.JPG (84.48 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
'33 Ford V8 Special, this thing sounded glorious and was fastest:
PA150661.JPG
PA150661.JPG (73.58 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
the suicidal "Bedframe" driver, no rollbar and only a lap belt powered by a BIG Olds V8:
PA150662.JPG
PA150662.JPG (89.46 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Nice pics Rod but not one Mad Max Interceptor??? :)
Attachments
madmaxes3.jpg
madmaxes3.jpg (27.59 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
madmaxes.jpg
madmaxes.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

Chris, they are too new!!! :lol: :lol: This is open to 1972 and older vehicles only :D
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by Nick »

Very cool, Rod! Thanks fpr sharing the pics.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Mojo
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm
Bronco Info: 96eb 5.8, custom SS exh, C&T/uniball, Heim R-arms, 35"bajas 4.88s F53 w/SOLO shackle PRPs
Location: Prescott, AZ
Contact:

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by Mojo »

looks like a cool race & a really good time. Thanks for sharing
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by Silverslk »

Great pics Rod!!!
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday Update:

Sorry, guys, but I didnt get to take any pics today, as it was kinda busy. Arriving at 7am, we got to preparing the check points and having the officials briefing. At 9am, we got under way and the first group was vintage cars. The bikes came out at 10am, and the #555 Rudge in the bike pics had a high-side 50 yds from my checkpoint, just as I was ready to get out the camera. I called it in and ran down to attend the rider. He was out cold and unresponsive, so I called for urgent ambulance and rescue to come. We spent the next 35 mins, stabilising the rider and getting him into the ambulance. After the bike was recovered and we cleaned up the track, the rest of the bikes came thru and then the faster cars. They kept be running up to the next corner every class change, because they were pulling gravel and small rocks onto the track. I used a gas powered blower to sweep the track and keep it safe. When the bikes came out again at 1pm, about 5 bikes in a rider on a beautifully restored Ducati 860 lost the front end big time and came down at about 70mph about 100 yds from us. Again I called it in and attended the rider. His Duke was a mess, but he was ok, and with assistance from the medics, he walked to the ambulance and the flat bed took away the Duke. We got back under way and about 15 mins later, after a (another!) trip to clean up the left hander, I stepped in a hidden hole in the grass near my checkpoint and seriously rolled the crap out of my bad left ankle. That slowed me down a bit, but we were both busy right to the end with clean ups and controlling stupid rubbernecking spectators who insisted on standing next to the track, way too close for safety. The Rudge rider, at last report was in a serious but stable condition in hospital, with concussion, a broken left ankle and internal injuries. My new (for today) assistant and I got a big thank you from all the officials, drivers, riders, etc. for our efforts with the accidents and especially from the riders for the track cleaning, and even the FIA/CAMS officers in attendance gave up the thumbs up and a big thanks for doing the right thing in looking after the fallen riders, etc.
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrengower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

So, after one hell of a busy day, the Valiant Charger 6pak took top honours for the fastest time, just quicker than the red Camaro. Top run for the vintage was the fastest of the 4 flathead V8 powered Ford Specials running. Bikes was the yellow Norton in the bike pics. That guy must have some big cojones, because he was seriously attacking that hill. Every run, he was flat in 3rd all the way up, and a couple of times, I was waiting for him to come off, but he did great. There were 2 beautiful Bugatti's there today, both going at it. Lots of old well preserved race cars and repli-cars from the post war and pre-war era of racing. Nostalgia plus. The D type Jaguar replica was outstanding in every detail, wish I had got some pics. There were a half dozen little Mini Coopers (the real ones, not those BMW made poser Minis) and they were stupidly fast going up the mountain, one of them sideways past our checkpoint on every run. A Datsun 1000 was at it too, the little 1 litre engine screaming in 3rd all the way to the top of the hill. A beautifully restored AJS motorcycle didnt make it up in yesterdays runs, twice he stopped at CP4, but today, the old girl made it all 3 runs to the top nice and clean, the single cylinder going like hell :) Once the times are emailed to me, i will post them up. Overall, I had a great weekend, and I was proud to be a part of such a great historic event, even doing my bit to make sure the fallen riders were looked after properly. I will post some misc. pics tomorrow, but for now, I'm beat.
Cheers from Mt Tarrengower, Maldon :D
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

The F100 and trailer after dropping off my load of 10 barriers:
PA150638.JPG
PA150638.JPG (74.99 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
A nice little old T model racer, all original. This is an Aussie built T, note the steering wheel is on the RH side. The young passenger didnt want his photo taken :D
PA150646.JPG
PA150646.JPG (76.66 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Chrysler flathead 6 powered Special, basically, a stripped down car frame, with minimal controls:
PA150649.JPG
PA150649.JPG (75.78 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
PA150650.JPG
PA150650.JPG (77.1 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by AussieRod »

I was impressed by the long ram triple SU carbs and the unique style of the headers. How about some old style shock technology?
PA150651.JPG
PA150651.JPG (79.89 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Bilstien, Fox, King, eat your hearts out :lol:
Not long until Saturday's start time, I had just finished dropping off the genset at the top of the mountain:
PA150652.JPG
PA150652.JPG (73.44 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Roger Hall, our off road track preparer in his own Renault Bingham Special:
PA150663.JPG
PA150663.JPG (87.38 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
note the royal wave to us marshals :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by Silverslk »

Great pics and even better write up Rod!!! As a rider for many, many years (22+)......I thank you for attending to the fallen riders and wish well to the gent in the hospital.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Friction shocks now those are the cat's @$$. I love it. Those still look great on traditional hot rods. Nice pics Rod.

Chris
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: Mt Tarrangower Hillclimb, Maldon, Victoria, Australia.

Post by Nick »

So, would this be like the Oz version of the Pikes Peak hillclimb?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Post Reply