BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Races, meets, etc
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I just received a call from Danny (Director of El Oasis Orphanage) and he was just so thrilled to report back to us that he received all the donations including the over $500 in cash the 2nd Annual BajaHID Excursion raised for El Oasis. This is the beginning of the school for the kids at El Oasis and Danny and his wife were able to take the kids shopping. Here is what our $500 plus dollars were able to purchase:

All kids received:
New shoes <Danny also mentioned that for two of the kids these were the first new shoes they had ever owned. They are teenagers.
New pants
New shirts
Science calculators
USB flash drives for bringing home homework to print in El Oasis' office printer

For all 54 kids, that's no easy task for being on a budget but they did it. Danny was just blown away by the donations. He said it is often that the clothes they receive are not usuable for one reason or another but he was just floored and what great condition everything was and that there was even new clothes in the bunch. I have to say I'm really proud of our group and what we did. We all deserve a big pat on the back. Thank you each and everyone of you. You made a difference.

Chris
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by tcm glx »

Damn Chris,
This brings a little tear to my eye to know that our little help, made such an impact on these guys!! Truly is impressive, and I am proud to say this group did it. Really glad we were able to help! Now, we do better for next year!!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by SteveG »

Very cool, guys. Great job.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by BajaBronco13 »

And without a doubt a huge THANKS to GFB.com. Without a home like this we could not bring together such a great group of off-roaders. Thank you GFB.

Chris
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by yikes »

That is so awesome! It really makes one appreciate what he has. We are all so fortunate to have the means to do things we enjoy. To think that a little more than cost of a good tire can have such an impact. Thanks for putting that part of the event together fellas. This alone makes me want to attend the next one and I promise i will give more!
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by Silverslk »

That is amazing!!! I'm glad to hear a report back. Can't wait for the next one!!!!
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That is awesome to hear! We will make sure next time to bring more. We can't wait for the next trip!
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by AussieRod »

Congrats to the GFB members who pitched in!!! Next Excursion, lets see if we can do even better. :D :D
Last edited by AussieRod on Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by AussieRod »

Gee, what was I doing tonight? You guessed it, going over the trip for the 48th time! :lol: :lol:
P8300571.JPG
P8300571.JPG (73.6 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by BajaF250 »

Very nice guys... it's all you that made this happen... we have so much and they so little... we can certainly continue to make an impact on the lives of those less fortunate. I think with what we've learned about the orphanage, and their specific needs, we can more focus our efforts and truly deliver those things that make the biggest impact... I've gotta say, I'm proud to be among such an elite group of folks... well done GFBers!

A big thanks to Chris for coordinating all of this... he had the lead on taking care of the orphange on this epic event. And, now that we have such a great connection and we've made the first effort, we really can pour on the coals and help even that much more! Thanks Chris... 8-)
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by Silverslk »

BajaF250 wrote: I think with what we've learned about the orphanage, and their specific needs, we can more focus our efforts and truly deliver those things that make the biggest impact...
I gotta say, my ex-wifes dad (a New Yorker) says (when talking about gifts) "Money always fits"....... I know it's a East Coast Mentality but it fits well. I know next time I would just as soon put in cash than drag clothes over the border. But we can do both too!!!!
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:
Somebody in this picture drives really well...and it's not me.
Image
Dont say that, Brian, it's a credit to you that Carmen will have a go, and gets air in your Bronco!
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by AussieRod »

Is it possible on a future trip to organise a visit of the group to the orphanage to meet Danny and all the kids? It would be a real treat for the kids, they get to meet all the people who helped them out, and maybe we can take some of them for rides in our trucks. I am sure that would break the monotomy of their lives, and show them that we do care. Just my $0.02. :roll:
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I'd definately be willing to give rides! I'll make sure that if we can, I have my back seat finished before the trip.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Tony, Tom and I had discussed that possibility for our August run, unfortunately the orphanage is down in Valle de Trinindad (towards San Felo) which would make it difficult to get to if we are doing a pacific run for the April BajaHID Excursion. What I have discussed with Danny is having him come to our banquet dinner and possibly bringing a few of the kids. He was really excited about that. As soon as we pencil in a date I'll work with Danny to line up his visit at HP Ranch with us.

Chris
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by tcm glx »

BajaBronco13 wrote:Tony, Tom and I had discussed that possibility for our August run, unfortunately the orphanage is down in Valle de Trinindad (towards San Felo) which would make it difficult to get to if we are doing a pacific run for the April BajaHID Excursion. What I have discussed with Danny is having him come to our banquet dinner and possibly bringing a few of the kids. He was really excited about that. As soon as we pencil in a date I'll work with Danny to line up his visit at HP Ranch with us.

Chris

Hey Chris,
Here is a thought. What if Danny and a few kids meet us on Sat morning at HP ranch, and come along for the Pacific run......
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by BajaBronco13 »

That's a great idea Tony. I know when they took the kids to Malcolm Smith's ranch El Oasis had to get prior approval from the state of Baja California and Danny was having a hard time getting the state's approval for that outing. I'll ask but my first thought is that it maybe a little difficult for Danny to pull off but it's still worth asking.

Chris
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by Nick »

Is it April yet???
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by tcm glx »

Nick wrote:Is it April yet???

Man, I am really jazzed that everyone had such a good time. Chris and I hit the JY yesterday and ran into Randy, and he was telling us how he and his fiance were set for the next one, and how she had a blast too!! It was truly some fun times!!
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: BajaHID Excursion 2011 - The Aftermath

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Yes sir! As a matter of fact after the baja run I learned ALOT! I'm going back to stock fenders and using some sheetmetal to make my inner fenders. I've got a few ideas. Also, poor Carly bounced around WAY too much so I picked up a set of good condition prp seats I'm mounting tomorrow, and some lock down locations for all my crap. Also, if someone has a simple way of making their own inner fenders, please let me know.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Post Reply