Carl's 86 EB Build

User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by tcm glx »

That is looking real good Carl! Several of us will be out at the MORE race, we should hook up out there.

The main shock might also be a bit short because of its mounting location on your radius arm. On the stock radius arm, I believe it mounts a little higher, a bit taller than the coil mouint is, look at this picture:

Image


*** Also, side note, those boots melt onto the shocks when pushed hard.
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

Yeah I dont know where ill be out there but we will see. Hmm, maybe I should just make my own mount on top of the radius arm. Thanks.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by SteveG »

fixxor wrote:Hmm, maybe I should just make my own mount on top of the radius arm. Thanks.
I would definitely look into it. While you're at it, I would check the front mount as well.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

front seemed fine, I had to push it down from where i had it jacked up to get it into the bucket. Then the back one needed about an 1 1/2 inch to be good.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by SteveG »

I meant at full compression. I would make sure the shocks are almost completely collapsed (leave some room for chassis flex) when the suspension is at full compression. That way you know you're using all available wheel/shock travel.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

Oh. I made an extension for the bump stop so I probably have some play room with the shock on compression but the limiting factor was my tire. Was hitting the inside lip of the fender, I plan on cutting it out some so I can go further. Maybe glass in the future.
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

It's done! Well, for now, for a bit. Finished it up this weekend but sadly not for the race. Made the main shock tab higher and put some limit straps on.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Notice in the last picture how my front tires stick out almost 2 inches past the fender. I have grown to hate this, flings up rocks and crap and chips the paint so whenever I do get it painted im not gonna be happy. Anyone have any recommendations on wheels that fit better inside the fender? Would want to go to a 16" for better tire selection.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by tcm glx »

Go back to the factory wheels, 15x7 or 15x7.5 will solve 99 percent of that. Those wheels look wide, and with a deep offset pushing them out.
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

Will 35x12.50x15 still fit on the 15x7?
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by tcm glx »

Yup
User avatar
BajaDale
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by BajaDale »

fixxor wrote:Will 35x12.50x15 still fit on the 15x7?
Hell ya! We ran 15x7's on the ProTrucks for a while! 8-)
User avatar
KBL
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:40 pm
Bronco Info: Working on a '73 F-100 with a TTB conversion
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by KBL »

Your wheel bearings, knuckle ball joints, and tie rods will thank you for going to different wheels, too.
www.off-roadweb.com
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

Alright. Little update. Found some factory wheels sitting in a bronco at the junkyard and couldn't pass them up. Glad I didn't I love they way it looks now.

Image
Image
Image

Also saw it had some warn hubs on it. So I popped those off and it was a 92+ bronco. Looks like one side is shot is there a rebuild kit or I need a whole new unit? I'm not sure if these will work on mine but they do look like they would I just need to be sure.

Image
Image
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

Got it back from paint. She looks pretty now...

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by SteveG »

Looks great!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Looks awesome! Who painted it?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
fixxor
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Bronco Info: 03 Ranger 4x4 no more bronco :(
Location: Corona

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by fixxor »

Some guy my coworker knew. Just does this on the side and more into just painting bumpers and stuff. But he did an excellent job.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Your not kidding it looks awesome!!!!!!!! I've been thinking a maaco job may do the trick.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by tcm glx »

Hawt damn she looks great!!!
User avatar
Brad12
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N
Location: Berkeley, CA
Contact:

Re: Carl's 86 EB Build

Post by Brad12 »

that looks great! Is your rear tire pushed forward a bit? or is that just the picture?
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
Post Reply