convoy wrote:I noticed the 4 pin hood is sitting higher in the rear. Was the cage in the way or is the glass from Trailer Products not a direct fit?
Yes on both things. the giant c/o mounts dont work so good with the drop center hood that was a full cowl hood to start with. i trimed it to fit. When i get the truck back ill put a few dzus buttons on the rear corners and that will help alot.
We ran into Dustin down in Ensenada at Tech/Contingency... got a chance to check out the Bajamobile. Well done Mark! It looks great... One other approach to the rear of the hood is to add a small fiberglass stiffener to the corner to keep it from popping up.
I talked with Dustin for a bit and unfortunately, we had to depart to head to the house for a team meeting and we didn't get a chance to have that Pacifico! Very unfortunate, but at least I had the chance to meet and chat with Dustin! Great times! very cool ride.
I love the look of the 87-91 front ends. Convoy, who makes the front glass on your bronco? I was rubbing a tiny bit at full bump but I made sure to check underneath to make sure nothing detrimental was happening. Just a tiny bit of rubbing on the inner fender wells. I'm not gonna upgrade to glass until I widen it I don't think. The truck is definitely stealth. People were tripping out when we were prerunning in some of the nastier sections and keeping up. Very unsuspecting.
We ended up making it home yesterday with zero problems (aside from a blown real wheel bearing on the highway. No biggie.). 2200 miles total, 600 of which were in the dirt. Used the 4wd in Calamuje and the sand in San Felipe and it worked amazing. Big thanks again to Mark. He busted his hump to get it done and on the road and didn't skimp in any way.
I've still got the stock hubs that came with it. I'm gonna switch em' to Warn manuals eventually, but Mark said the stock automatic hubs he had had lasted with no problems for a long time. Had zero problems with em' at the 1000 and we used the 4x4 probably a good 4 or 5 times.
Got some updates on the rig. Was having problems with my rear wheel bearings, so I took it down to Mark to fix em up and made a little laundry list of things to do. Found out my rear end actually has 9" ends on it which is kind of cool, but made the parts search down in Mex a little bit interesting last time since I didn't know that.
Mark found a ton of little nick-nacky stuff that needed fixing and recommended a few larger upgrades so I gave him the thumbs up. The list is like a full page long so here's the short of what got done:
-new rear wheel bearings
-adjusted the coilovers and ride height
-new rear bumper
-faring for the rack (was vibrating bad on the fwy and a little piece of angle iron on the front fixed it right up)
-mounted dzus on the corner of the hood
-relocated the GPS for more leg room for the middle passenger
-Autofab solid motor and transmission mounts
-adjusted my transmission
-new air filter
There's a ton of other stuff, but those are the biggies. Heading back East again soon to go work for the Summer. Plan is to drop her off for some upgrades in July. Things I'm kicking around:
-Full cage (going in for sure)
-Small removable bench in the rear and removable plexi-glass rear window with a 4 person intercom
-Aluminum paneling in the rear to keep the dust out
-POSSIBLE fiberglass up front and pulled bedsides
The truck got a good prep and I'm taking her down this weekend for some cruising around Mike's Sky Ranch. More photos to come next week. Next trip plan after that is for the first couple of days to the NORRA 1000. Anyone else going?
Hope all is well. Here's some pics.
Went down to Mex over the weekend and figured I'd share some pictures. Eventful one to say the least. We did a big ride/drive with 11 bikes, 6 prerunners and two chase trucks up to Mike's Sky Ranch and then through Laguna Hansen on the way home.
The drive in was as hairy as I've ever had. Everything from pouring rain, sleet, hail and snow. Had my first big "oopsie" in the truck going all of about 5mph. Came over a little ridge into a downhill and the truck completely lost all traction. We ended up putting her on her side at real low speed. I thought it was gonna be pretty ugly, but there was almost no damage whatsoever (very lucky). Spooked me pretty good though. Cage is definitely on the way.
Made it up to Mike in one piece with most of the open wheel buggy guys and motos going into full on hypothermia. 4x4, windshield wipers, and a heater were looking pretty good to everyone by the end of the day. Gotta say I was definitely happy with the rig. She kept pace the whole time and didn't have one problem on the trail.
The pavement was a different story unfortunately. Got gas before crossing at Tecate, went to turn the ignition and no go. Notice immediately the fuel pump isn't turning on. We had plenty of trailers and nobody wanted to do a parts hunt, so we rearranged everything and headed for home. The general consensus was that it was either a fuel pump or a relay. I got her home, went and bought a relay for 12 bucks on Monday morning, threw it in and crossed my fingers. She fired right up.
Anyways, here's some pics. Can't wait for the next trip.