Back-Up Camera
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Back-Up Camera
All,
I’m looking for a high-quality back-up camera for Wilson. Suggestions?
Thanks!
I’m looking for a high-quality back-up camera for Wilson. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Re: Back-Up Camera
Rear view cameras are for monitoring the trailer or in some cases a topper to be able to see what is behind you. Many guys have an additional camera for the back of the trailer for rear view. The key word is rear view vs backup. Any of the cameras can be wired for either function.
I have a rear view camera on the Jeep and the new F150. The F150 came with a backup camera so I did not need a backup camera. I checked Amazon for reviews and bought on Ebay for a lower price. The Jeep has a low end with a separate 4" monitor and could be wired for backup or Rear view. The F150 has a monitor that replaces the RV mirror. It just clamps on the mirror.
For the F150 I have 2 cameras sold by Tadi Bros. Not good for a backup camera application
For the Jeep 1 camera for rear view, I bought it several years ago an do not have the receipt-sorry
I have a rear view camera on the Jeep and the new F150. The F150 came with a backup camera so I did not need a backup camera. I checked Amazon for reviews and bought on Ebay for a lower price. The Jeep has a low end with a separate 4" monitor and could be wired for backup or Rear view. The F150 has a monitor that replaces the RV mirror. It just clamps on the mirror.
For the F150 I have 2 cameras sold by Tadi Bros. Not good for a backup camera application
For the Jeep 1 camera for rear view, I bought it several years ago an do not have the receipt-sorry
-
VintageIronFab
- Posts: 2338
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco List:
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Back-Up Camera
The newer lowrance units have a video feed fyi
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Re: Back-Up Camera
I hope my expanded experience helps?
Cameras come wireless or wired. The wired ones use coax for video and need power at both ends. The wireless ones use a wifi device to communicate and still need power at both ends and for the wireless gadget. For a Backup a stand alone monitor is required. A minimum of a 4" monitor is required, IMO. Then there are the wireless bluetooth cameras with the standalone bluetooth device. These setups are usually connected to a tablet or phone. I went this way on my first try for the Jeep. I found that both my Android devices were not compatible as predicted by many reviews, however it worked fine with my Iphone. It would also work for an Ipad. Since I did not have an Ipad I dumped that system and got a wired camera with 4" monitor which I mounted in front of my useless RV mirror. If you want to try an Iphone get a magnetic ball and stick it on the dash. (I use the magnetic ball for my radio microphones and are very happy with that setup). For your backup setup just mount the monitor beside the RV mirror or somewhere on the dash. (BTW, the reason for a rear view camera in the Jeep is the rear tire blocks the stock rear view). Since my rear view camera is on all the time it works fine as a backup camera.
These camera setups are all highly susceptible to sun glare and I do not know how to overcome that feature. When it bothers me like with sun or a car following with bright lights I turn the thing off.
Before you buy always read the Amazon reviews to find out the many pitfalls.
Cameras come wireless or wired. The wired ones use coax for video and need power at both ends. The wireless ones use a wifi device to communicate and still need power at both ends and for the wireless gadget. For a Backup a stand alone monitor is required. A minimum of a 4" monitor is required, IMO. Then there are the wireless bluetooth cameras with the standalone bluetooth device. These setups are usually connected to a tablet or phone. I went this way on my first try for the Jeep. I found that both my Android devices were not compatible as predicted by many reviews, however it worked fine with my Iphone. It would also work for an Ipad. Since I did not have an Ipad I dumped that system and got a wired camera with 4" monitor which I mounted in front of my useless RV mirror. If you want to try an Iphone get a magnetic ball and stick it on the dash. (I use the magnetic ball for my radio microphones and are very happy with that setup). For your backup setup just mount the monitor beside the RV mirror or somewhere on the dash. (BTW, the reason for a rear view camera in the Jeep is the rear tire blocks the stock rear view). Since my rear view camera is on all the time it works fine as a backup camera.
These camera setups are all highly susceptible to sun glare and I do not know how to overcome that feature. When it bothers me like with sun or a car following with bright lights I turn the thing off.
Before you buy always read the Amazon reviews to find out the many pitfalls.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
Thanks. Yes... considering one. The problem is they don't have a trigger to turn on when the vehicle is put in reverse. It's super convenient for the camera to turn on automatically, as opposed to having to turn on manually.VintageIronFab wrote:The newer lowrance units have a video feed fyi
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
Thanks, Paul. Still researching and trying to find an ideal solution. Simply having it on all the time is not a bad idea. I might end up going that route. Agreed on the size. I want something around 7". We've gotten spoiled by the cameras and displays in our new tow rigs.PaulW wrote:I hope my expanded experience helps?
Cameras come wireless or wired. The wired ones use coax for video and need power at both ends. The wireless ones use a wifi device to communicate and still need power at both ends and for the wireless gadget. For a Backup a stand alone monitor is required. A minimum of a 4" monitor is required, IMO. Then there are the wireless bluetooth cameras with the standalone bluetooth device. These setups are usually connected to a tablet or phone. I went this way on my first try for the Jeep. I found that both my Android devices were not compatible as predicted by many reviews, however it worked fine with my Iphone. It would also work for an Ipad. Since I did not have an Ipad I dumped that system and got a wired camera with 4" monitor which I mounted in front of my useless RV mirror. If you want to try an Iphone get a magnetic ball and stick it on the dash. (I use the magnetic ball for my radio microphones and are very happy with that setup). For your backup setup just mount the monitor beside the RV mirror or somewhere on the dash. (BTW, the reason for a rear view camera in the Jeep is the rear tire blocks the stock rear view). Since my rear view camera is on all the time it works fine as a backup camera.
These camera setups are all highly susceptible to sun glare and I do not know how to overcome that feature. When it bothers me like with sun or a car following with bright lights I turn the thing off.
Before you buy always read the Amazon reviews to find out the many pitfalls.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
Steve, I'm sure you probably will, but just a reminder to post here on what you decide on. I had looked a bit at this for my crew cab build, but everything I looked at then is now outdated.
I remember thinking the rear view mirrors with the small video screen that would display the backup camera seemed cool, but that the screen size on that was probably much too small to be of any use. Never did get to try one out though.
I remember thinking the rear view mirrors with the small video screen that would display the backup camera seemed cool, but that the screen size on that was probably much too small to be of any use. Never did get to try one out though.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Back-Up Camera
Steve,
While maybe a pricey option.....have you considered a Ford Emblem off a newer f150, with the built in camera. I think the emblem with camera runs around 200 bucks, and then wire into either a GPS or just a generic screen up front. Maybe even a Screen in the rear view mirror?
While maybe a pricey option.....have you considered a Ford Emblem off a newer f150, with the built in camera. I think the emblem with camera runs around 200 bucks, and then wire into either a GPS or just a generic screen up front. Maybe even a Screen in the rear view mirror?
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
I’ll definitely post when I make a decision. I agree, the rear view mirrors are too small to house a big enough monitor.ChaseTruck754 wrote:Steve, I'm sure you probably will, but just a reminder to post here on what you decide on. I had looked a bit at this for my crew cab build, but everything I looked at then is now outdated.
I remember thinking the rear view mirrors with the small video screen that would display the backup camera seemed cool, but that the screen size on that was probably much too small to be of any use. Never did get to try one out though.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
I actually have a factory camera out off 2015 F150. But the camera isn’t the issue, it’s what to use as a display. GPS would be fine but, that I know of, there’s no Lowrance that has a trigger circuit that allows the camera feed to turn on automatically. I might have to use a dedicated display... we’ll see.tcm glx wrote:Steve,
While maybe a pricey option.....have you considered a Ford Emblem off a newer f150, with the built in camera. I think the emblem with camera runs around 200 bucks, and then wire into either a GPS or just a generic screen up front. Maybe even a Screen in the rear view mirror?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Back-Up Camera
Metra announced a double din bracket at this years SEMA. Would allow for a DD headunit with video inputs.
http://www.12voltnews.com/2018/10/31/me ... s-at-sema/
http://www.12voltnews.com/2018/10/31/me ... s-at-sema/
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
I like that, but we were planning to remove the car stereo entirely and use that real-estate for one of the 2-way radios. But options are limited... might have to go this route in the end.tcm glx wrote:Metra announced a double din bracket at this years SEMA. Would allow for a DD headunit with video inputs.
http://www.12voltnews.com/2018/10/31/me ... s-at-sema/
Thanks for sharing that.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Re: Back-Up Camera
Details matter
With the three units I have tried and used I found the biggest issue in not the monitor but it is the camera. All three have only one field of view and it is way to wide and as a result the image is to small. Having said that, the image is ok if you aim the camera at the trailer hitch, but for backing up it is an issue. What is really needed is a camera that allows the view for be altered, Like my new Honda with a choice of three settings. Close, mid, and far/wide.
Another thing is cameras come with/without the grid like new cars have. One of mine has a switch on the camera to add or remove the grids. I have also
found that a monitor that can adjust brightness and/or contrast is really a very desirable feature. Those two features allow adjustment for bad lighting conditions, like sun or bright headlights.
If you have a late model Ford there is a company that interfaces with the display to use it as a rear view feature.
So far I find these aftermarket setups are not well designed like the OEM ones.
It is getting expensive to keep trying the camera/monitor setups.
With the three units I have tried and used I found the biggest issue in not the monitor but it is the camera. All three have only one field of view and it is way to wide and as a result the image is to small. Having said that, the image is ok if you aim the camera at the trailer hitch, but for backing up it is an issue. What is really needed is a camera that allows the view for be altered, Like my new Honda with a choice of three settings. Close, mid, and far/wide.
Another thing is cameras come with/without the grid like new cars have. One of mine has a switch on the camera to add or remove the grids. I have also
found that a monitor that can adjust brightness and/or contrast is really a very desirable feature. Those two features allow adjustment for bad lighting conditions, like sun or bright headlights.
If you have a late model Ford there is a company that interfaces with the display to use it as a rear view feature.
So far I find these aftermarket setups are not well designed like the OEM ones.
It is getting expensive to keep trying the camera/monitor setups.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Back-Up Camera
Yeah, I can see that happening quickly.PaulW wrote:It is getting expensive to keep trying the camera/monitor setups.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- funinthesun95
- Posts: 1701
- Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Back-Up Camera
Also Steve you could add a edge insight CTS as your OBD2 and it has the ports for camera to use the Ford stuff. This would also give you digital gauges and code reading on the trail.
I think your 1996 ?
I think your 1996 ?
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
- Becks_Bronco
- Posts: 1275
- Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:12 pm
- Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8
- Location: Antioch
Re: Back-Up Camera
Oooooooooooo.... this means apple car play without one of those silly flip out screens...tcm glx wrote:Metra announced a double din bracket at this years SEMA. Would allow for a DD headunit with video inputs.
http://www.12voltnews.com/2018/10/31/me ... s-at-sema/
