BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
-
Rickosaurus
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:49 pm
- Bronco Info: Restoring my Mom's '91 Bronco
BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
So I'm just beginning my Bronco project and am in need of some tires (the one's on it hold air fine but are cracking pretty badly). I'll likely end up running 35s, but haven't yet decided if I want to stay with 15s or move up to 16s. So I'm trying to get some beefier tires to hold me over until I lift her and decide on rim size. I have the stock 15 X 7.5 inch rims and I found a deal on some 33 12.5 BFG KM2s. I've done a little research and found a 12.5s are OK with a 7.5" rim, it mostly depends on the tire itself. Has anyone ran these on a 7.5 inch rime before? How was treadwear? How did you like the tire overall? Any input is much appreciated!!
- 1Hondalover
- Posts: 819
- Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
- Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
- Location: Santa Clarita
-
Rickosaurus
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:49 pm
- Bronco Info: Restoring my Mom's '91 Bronco
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
Thanks for the feedback, and good lookin' project you got there! I know theyll fit I was more curious about tread wear as the BFG website suggests at a minimum an 8.5" rim, and mine are 7.5".
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
They fit, they look good, and I absolutely hated them. Tread wear sucked, noises compared to an AT2. Couldn't keep them balanced. Would never buy them again. Switched back to AT2
- 1Hondalover
- Posts: 819
- Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
- Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
- Location: Santa Clarita
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
Guess I missed the KM2 part.....I wouldn't buy them either.
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
Any 12.5" wide tire will work fine on a 7.5" rim. Your choice of tire style is up to you. Listen to the guys for their recommendations. I ran BFG Bajas 12.5x15 for 12 years . Never had unusual wear, but of course the right front will wear more than the left front due to the TTB design.
If you go to 16" rims and still want a forged like the stock rims then expect to pay dearly. The stock rims are a great bargain. 37s on 16" rims will have clearance issues that you will have to deal with. Not just the heater but other places like the rub on the body at the rear and rub on the fender liner in front.
I have KM2s on another rig and like them just fine. Its not a daily driver. My off road rigs spend a lot of time in the garage. Even for off road I think the general consensus is other brands are better than BFG. For sure any mud tire will be the pists for a daily driver.
So here the is the catch. I have a bunch of new 35x15 Bajas I am willing to sell. Also have some used ones that are mounted on stock 7.5" Alcoas. The used ones need Slime due to cactus pricks. Used ones sell for the price of the rims.. New ones - make offer. Buy in quntity and get them cheaper for each.
If you go to 16" rims and still want a forged like the stock rims then expect to pay dearly. The stock rims are a great bargain. 37s on 16" rims will have clearance issues that you will have to deal with. Not just the heater but other places like the rub on the body at the rear and rub on the fender liner in front.
I have KM2s on another rig and like them just fine. Its not a daily driver. My off road rigs spend a lot of time in the garage. Even for off road I think the general consensus is other brands are better than BFG. For sure any mud tire will be the pists for a daily driver.
So here the is the catch. I have a bunch of new 35x15 Bajas I am willing to sell. Also have some used ones that are mounted on stock 7.5" Alcoas. The used ones need Slime due to cactus pricks. Used ones sell for the price of the rims.. New ones - make offer. Buy in quntity and get them cheaper for each.
-
Rickosaurus
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:49 pm
- Bronco Info: Restoring my Mom's '91 Bronco
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
Thanks for all the input guys it's much appreciated. I travel for work so technically my daily driver is a rental. I plan on using the Bronc for mostly off road stuff ie mountains / trails, a little desert, snowboarding trips in the winter, and camping. I plan on lifting her 4-6 inches and likely moving up to 35's, but nothing bigger that that. I'd love to take you up on the offer Paul but I don't have the resources to lift and re-gear yet, thanks anyways! If anyone knows of a good deal on some decent 33's in SoCal please let me know!
-
VintageIronFab
- Posts: 2338
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco List:
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
You don't need any lift to run 35's btw-- especially if you put the tires on stock wheels. As far as lift goes- I still maintain 2" is more than enough especially since it doesn't sound like fast hammering is your thing.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
With 35s a lot of us will disagree that 35s will fit a stock Bronco. When you destroy your heater you probably will agree.
- Wrightracing.net
- Posts: 2235
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
- Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Paul, you may not realize it, but us Baja guys like you and me are a bit harder on our Bronco's. And I agree with you Paul, 35's on stocker, prepare for repairs. Mine is not stock, but I took my Stock AC/Heater core out and have a Vintage Air unit going in the Cab under the dash.
David (david@wrightracing.net)
David (david@wrightracing.net)
Re: BFG KM2's on stock Alcoas?
Ha you too an out to allow bigger tires. The trimmed heater worked for me. As did the wider rear axle to keep the tire off the tub. Wider fenders F & R are also part of the 35" package. 37s requires even more changes before damage occurs.
Yup bigger is better.
Yup bigger is better.
- Wrightracing.net
- Posts: 2235
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
- Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
