BajaF250

User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:Are you planning on any kind of trap door setup for the fuel pickup?
Hey Philo,
I completely misread your question. Sorry... I read it as trap door access to the pump assy. My bust! :?
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:
philofab wrote:Are you planning on any kind of trap door setup for the fuel pickup?
Hey Philo,
I completely misread your question. Sorry... I read it as trap door access to the pump assy. My bust! :?

FYI, I usually put the pickup at the lowest point to the rear in the center that I can. Then I add three trap doors that allow fuel in but not out facing forward, and on both sides. Then route the return line to the top of the pump box and seal it everywhere but the bottom 1/2. This way the pump is likely to have a good fuel supply on off camber situations or hill climbing. Downhill doesn't seem to matter much as gravity assists you.

The factory ford plastic canister is filled with fuel and acts like an accumulator. It is filled with the return line and has no opening on the top. This is also the reason are tanks don't take a standard bosch or walbro pump.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:
philofab wrote:Are you planning on any kind of trap door setup for the fuel pickup?
Hey Philo,
I completely misread your question. Sorry... I read it as trap door access to the pump assy. My bust! :?

FYI, I usually put the pickup at the lowest point to the rear in the center that I can. Then I add three trap doors that allow fuel in but not out facing forward, and on both sides. Then route the return line to the top of the pump box and seal it everywhere but the bottom 1/2. This way the pump is likely to have a good fuel supply on off camber situations or hill climbing. Downhill doesn't seem to matter much as gravity assists you.

The factory ford plastic canister is filled with fuel and acts like an accumulator. It is filled with the return line and has no opening on the top. This is also the reason are tanks don't take a standard bosch or walbro pump.
Do you have a pic of your setup? Love to see it...
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

This is the ECM intall into the firewall. I ended up mounting it where the stock F150 and F250's were located. The harness wire length was perfect and I found enough room to build a mount and seal it.
Attachments
ECM
ECM
engine bay wiring 004.jpg (37.56 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
ECM
ECM
ECM 7 Oct 005.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I got quite a bit done on the fuel tank today, although I haven't started tacking. But, all of the panels are finalized, cut, broken, final fit and ready to weld. I got the drain bung turned, threaded and located, I cut and bead rolled the fill neck, located the level sensor position, located the vent and laid out the top access panel. (AND, of course, I didn't bring my camera... again!)

I still have to finalize the pump/pickup design, which will drive my top access plate. Gonna try to get that all done by Monday. We shall see!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: BajaF250

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:This is the ECM intall into the firewall. I ended up mounting it where the stock F150 and F250's were located. The harness wire length was perfect and I found enough room to build a mount and seal it.
Another job well done, Tom!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: BajaF250

Post by SteveG »

Tom, where did you mount your brake controller?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:Tom, where did you mount your brake controller?
Hey Steve,
The brakes are pretty much stock, errr, well not exactly stock, but close thereto. The metering/proportioning valve is on the driver's side frame rail just under the booster/master cylinder.

I've added an adjustable proportioning valve to control the rear brakes a little better (since I converted to rear discs ). I also added 2lb valves inline in both the front and rear brakes to keep the brake pedal nice and high. I'm using a Wilwood master cylinder which works quite well.
Attachments
Brake setup
Brake setup
front build 002.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: BajaF250

Post by yikes »

Tom - I was just looking at Wilwood's 1 1/16 master cylinder the other day. Yeah, right before I picked up a new stock one. Glad to know it works. I like that the lines fasten to the driver's side. Now I wish I would have just gone for it. How do you like those 2lb valves? Worth it?
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Brian,

The Wilwood works great. I had an Explorer master cylinder in there for a while, and I had to convert to the Wilwood, I didn't have enough pressure or pedal... It stops much better now. The above picture doesn't show it but I'm limited to a master cylinder that ports out on the driver's side. My coilover hoop is only about 1/4" from the master cylinder which doesn't leave any room on the inside.

I love the 2lb valves... keeps the pedal up high. No adverse effect. For my setup, it works quite well.

I love my Wilwood rear brakes...
Attachments
rear brakes
rear brakes
Rear disk brakes 002.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
User avatar
Deleted Account
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm
Bronco Info: depends on what day
Location: Ramona, California

Re: BajaF250

Post by Deleted Account »

Are those f250 front rotors on the rear? I reallllllly need to convert my 350 to rear disk and hydroboost before i kill a civic. lol
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaBronco13 »

mkiefer wrote:Are those f250 front rotors on the rear? I reallllllly need to convert my 350 to rear disk and hydroboost before i kill a civic. lol
LOL, same here. My four door bronco is a pig and I would love to run disc on the rear.

Chris
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

mkiefer wrote:Are those f250 front rotors on the rear? I reallllllly need to convert my 350 to rear disk and hydroboost before i kill a civic. lol
Hey Mark,
Yup, same discs on the rear as on the front! They work great! Makes getting parts a lot easier! Only one part number...
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:Yup, same discs on the rear as on the front! They work great! Makes getting parts a lot easier! Only one part number...
Why does it look like there is a rotor, spacer, then hub? Anything tricky with the studs?

I don't dislike how my rear drums work... only the fact I keep breaking shoes and hardware.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:Yup, same discs on the rear as on the front! They work great! Makes getting parts a lot easier! Only one part number...
Why does it look like there is a rotor, spacer, then hub? Anything tricky with the studs?

I don't dislike how my rear drums work... only the fact I keep breaking shoes and hardware.
Nope, no spacer, just rotor and hub. Must be an optical delusion! :lol: The only thing special is that I have to drill the rotors to accept the 5/8" studs... 8 of 'em!!!
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Got some work done this weekend. Although I didn't get as far on the tank as I'd hoped, I did finalize the layout and locations of all of the components. I got the pump/sump setup and mounted. And, since the darn thing is 14-ga stainless, it's a mother to cut and drill. I cut the access holes in the lid on the mill with plenty of cooling. I have the right baffle tacked into place but had to stop there. When mounting the fuel line connectors on the inside of the tank, I think I got a cold braze and I need to pressure check it before I go any further.
Attachments
cutting access holes
cutting access holes
tank build 004.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
tank build 011.jpg
tank build 011.jpg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
tank overall
tank overall
tank build 006.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 1834 times
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I also got some work done in the garage. I started building up the coilover supports/hoops and the engine cage supports. I mocked up the remote resevoir and made up a template for the mounting supports (not cut out yet, just in cardboard). There's a good shot of the core support after powder coating. Looks good all clean!

Well, it'll be a little while before I can get any further work done, I'll be on travel with my job for the next two weeks... ugh! I hit the road first thing in the am.
Attachments
p/s remote resevoir mock up
p/s remote resevoir mock up
front end build up 021.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
coil over hoops and core support
coil over hoops and core support
front end build up 009.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
with airbox
with airbox
front end build up 025.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by tcm glx »

Right on Tom. I am loving the brackets all done up nice and clean!! Sucks you have to be gone the next two weeks, but isnt it Australia your off too? Thats not a bad gig.....
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

Hey Tom! Can I get a closeup of your crossmember where the beams bolt to? I haven't yet been able to find a local truck to crawl under. Only one and it has drop brackets.

I'm going 4WD with Big Bertha.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: BajaF250

Post by Nick »

philofab wrote:Hey Tom! Can I get a closeup of your crossmember where the beams bolt to? I haven't yet been able to find a local truck to crawl under. Only one and it has drop brackets.

I'm going 4WD with Big Bertha.
Philo, try bajaf250.com that's toms project site, he may have some pics there.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Post Reply