Haha, great pic Cho! Definitely excited to get it back out there. Gotta get those bedsides on, and cage that thing. It's definitely time.
Thanks Brian...appreciate that. Ended up dropping it off at a shop up near Richer, hoping they can sort it out this week...and hoping it doesn't end up being too expensive.
Ended up being the check valve in the rear fuel pump. It went out, causing the rear to siphon fuel into it from the front tank, and loss of all fuel pressure to the fuel rail. Should have it back tomorrow!
I will for sure be cutting an access panel in the new bed so if I have to replace the rear pump another time, it won't require dropping the tank again.
I'll most likely be ditching the front tank in the interest of simplification. Less parts to break, frees up more room for underbed shocks, and also means only having to glass in 1 gas door for the rear bedsides.
Yessir! Pretty nice having that much capacity, but still think I'm gonna ditch the front tank. That thing is gonna be in the way of a few things, so it'll be easier to just nix it. 38 gallons should still be pretty good for capacity.
So here's the new access hole for the rear tank. Just gotta get a patch panel to use as the cover, and install some 1/4" rivnuts so I can fasten it down.
Still chipping away at mounting the bedsides. Passenger side is mostly done. Just need to fit the taillight, and get some bedside supports made. Hopefully the drivers side will go a bit quicker now that I know how much i have to cut off.
Thanks man! Gotta love autofab glass for that exact reason. Should be pretty damn clean once it's all painted.
Originally I was gonna have them glass in a gas door, but just from taking measurements, to put the gas door in the stock spot, it would be right next to the edge of the wheel opening since they're larger than stock. Instead, I think I'm just gonna get a bracket made/welded to the bed that will support the end of the filler neck, and then just gas up through the wheel opening. Should look a bunch cleaner, and then that way I don't have to make a decision on whether or not I'm keeping the front tank right now.
That sounds like a good idea. When I was in high school I hung around with a bunch of mini truck and import guys. One of the guys had his gas filler hidden behind his rear tail light. Was a really trick set up. I've always wondered if it would be done on a OBS.
The other option would be to put it inside the bed...but with the shell, that would make gassing up a bit of a hassle. I figure I'll get the drivers side mounted up and see where the filler neck is and then make the call.
My tacoma used to have the fill in the wheel well. Nobody ever used to know it was there.
Only real issue was the dirt that can accumulate on itfalling off as you unscrew the cap. If you're not careful it can fall in the fill neck. Not a huge ordeal if you realize this is possible & wipe the cap down or just open it more carefully.