BajaF250

User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: BajaF250

Post by SteveG »

All the gear boxes are the same front the Ranger to the F350.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:All the gear boxes are the same front the Ranger to the F350.
I know they have the same bolts pattern on the mount but I was unsure if the ratio is different. Seems odd that a truck with a 100" wheelbase has the same ratio as one with over 160". Maybe different length pitman arms?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
MOSS2
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by MOSS2 »

I have heard of people using the later Superduty boxes for the larger sector shaft and strength. I dont know if they are close to the same pattern. They look similar. Definitely not fast ratio though. I should crawl in and measure since I have both but havent gotten to it.


Edit : Found an article on this that I read and saved. This guy is on the forum here I believe but I am bad with names. http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0908or_ ... index.html
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

MOSS2 wrote:I have heard of people using the later Superduty boxes for the larger sector shaft and strength. I dont know if they are close to the same pattern. They look similar. Definitely not fast ratio though. I should crawl in and measure since I have both but havent gotten to it.
Hey Ken,
Yeah, the superduty box should bolt right up... it has the same pattern. But it introduces some additional issues, all that can be overcome with extra $$. The sector shaft is huge and should take a beating, but boxes are highly sought after and the law of supply and demand, cost a bunch. John has one sitting on his lot, but it's part of a complete front end kit. I seriously considered getting his superduty box and swapping it for my Delphi. But, I'd have to get another pitman arm, and they too are costly. This all adds up to extra $$ I'd prefer not to expend. Plus, my box has put in some great service, I've never had a problem with it and the only reason I'm working it is because it has a bunch of miles on it. Just time to freshen it up.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: P/S steering

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:I've also asked if they can quicken the steering up a little, but I'm pretty sure there aren't many options with those Delphi boxes.
How many turns lock to lock is it? If anything has a faster ratio it would be the Lightning or Big Bertha. I will check the boxes when I get home.
It's a 4 turn lock to lock... I'm pretty sure the are all the same. There is one box that came out of an earlier ford sedan, not sure which, that had a quicker ratio, but it was a rear steer. Can't interchange.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:I think you'll find that no matter what you put in there, and match to the rest of the interior, you'll be very happy with. I chose the dodge because it fit between my seats just perfectly.
Yup.

2002-2004 center sections from the stupid doodies work well too. Got one going in my '74 crew cab - but it will have the stock buckets on either side of it in that truck.


As for the material - any auto upholstry shop can order the materials to match pretty much any seats you have or buy. The tweed and vinyl used on suspension seats isn't anything super specific and is easy to match.
Steve's right, there isn't anything special here... the imagination is the limit on this type detail...
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:I'm pretty sure Howe makes a faster ratio gear box for our trucks (assuming yours uses the same one).
Steve,
I believe Howe converts the Saganaw box to fit, it's not a Delphi box upgrade. But, I'm not interested in dealing with Howe...
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: BajaF250

Post by BDKW1 »

BajaF250 wrote:But, I'm not interested in dealing with Howe...
So it's not just Me.........
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: BajaF250

Post by Dust »

BDKW1 wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:But, I'm not interested in dealing with Howe...
So it's not just Me.........
Nope...
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Dust wrote:
BDKW1 wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:But, I'm not interested in dealing with Howe...
So it's not just Me.........
Nope...
The good thing is that Tommy Lee and his guys are great! They produce a great product, they have great service and are easy to talk with.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I talked with Charles up at Tommy Lee's and he's got my steering box and pump for rebuild. He shipped the remote resevior and inline filter today. Once received, I can fab up the mounting brackets. I've removed the front cage to mount/weld the shock resevoir saddles, mocked up in pic.

I dropped by Mirage Racing and had some new hoses made for the resevoirs so I can add a 45 off set to mount the resevours correctly. And, Sway A Way is shipping me a new seal kit so while the shocks are apart, I can reseal them properly.

The last pic is the beginning of a collection of parts to send off to the East County Powder Coating. Of course the engine cage will also go to powder coating along with the rest of the parts. (I've got more to add as I disassemble).

The front axle housings are coming out tomorrow and I'll also drop the rear fuel tank to start taking measurements for a custom SS fuel tank.
Attachments
Front end work
Front end work
front end refresh 013.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
mounting the resevoir saddles
mounting the resevoir saddles
front end refresh 017.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
Waiting for powder coating
Waiting for powder coating
front end refresh 018.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by tcm glx »

BajaF250 wrote:I talked with Charles up at Tommy Lee's and he's got my steering box and pump for rebuild. He shipped the remote resevior and inline filter today. Once received, I can fab up the mounting brackets. I've removed the front cage to mount/weld the shock resevoir saddles, mocked up in pic.

I dropped by Mirage Racing and had some new hoses made for the resevoirs so I can add a 45 off set to mount the resevours correctly. And, Sway A Way is shipping me a new seal kit so while the shocks are apart, I can reseal them properly.

The last pic is the beginning of a collection of parts to send off to the East County Powder Coating. Of course the engine cage will also go to powder coating along with the rest of the parts. (I've got more to add as I disassemble).

The front axle housings are coming out tomorrow and I'll also drop the rear fuel tank to start taking measurements for a custom SS fuel tank.
Tom, she is already one damn nice ride, and you keep making her better, the fans are drooling!! Any chance you can have her ready for an Oct 2nd camping trip in Baja?
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Thats going to be a tough date to make, unfortunately I'll be in Australia and New Zealand for two weeks in Sep which will take away some serious truck work time! But I can shoot for it!
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: BajaF250

Post by Dust »

BajaF250 wrote:Thats going to be a tough date to make, unfortunately I'll be in Australia and New Zealand for two weeks in Sep which will take away some serious truck work time! But I can shoot for it!

"unfortunately"! Flipping "unfortunately"?!!! :lol:
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Dust wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:Thats going to be a tough date to make, unfortunately I'll be in Australia and New Zealand for two weeks in Sep which will take away some serious truck work time! But I can shoot for it!

"unfortunately"! Flipping "unfortunately"?!!! :lol:
Yeah, it's tough, but somebody's gotta do it! :lol:
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I dropped off my first batch of stuff with Scott at East Coast Powder Coaters.

I also picked up my radiator from Intermountain Radiators. I had it cleaned out, apparently I have a rust problem inside the block. Has anyone ever used in inline filter on the return radiator hose before? Does it restrict flow? I'm hesitant to put a restrictor in the cooling system, but I have to do something.

I also stopped by Mark Kiefer's to check out his Northwest Metal Products 45 gal fuel tank. This is a real option vice fabricating my own. They are reasonably priced and it looks like it might just fill my needs. One of my only concerns is the fuel level sensing system. It uses a float like the stock system. Both of mine have broken off inside the tank (hence, no fuel level for the past year). I was going to use a capacitance type sensor from Fuel Safe, no moving parts. Not cheap though. I'd have to do some work on the NWMP tank to convert it. If I decide to go this route, I'll most likely use the supplied level sensor system and see how long it lasts. Mark mentioned that he's never had a problem with his and he's been running those thanks for quite a few years now.
Attachments
First batch to ECP
First batch to ECP
front end refresh 024.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 1943 times
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:I dropped off my first batch of stuff with Scott at East Coast Powder Coaters.

I also picked up my radiator from Intermountain Radiators. I had it cleaned out, apparently I have a rust problem inside the block. Has anyone ever used in inline filter on the return radiator hose before? Does it restrict flow? I'm hesitant to put a restrictor in the cooling system, but I have to do something.

I also stopped by Mark Kiefer's to check out his Northwest Metal Products 45 gal fuel tank. This is a real option vice fabricating my own. They are reasonably priced and it looks like it might just fill my needs. One of my only concerns is the fuel level sensing system. It uses a float like the stock system. Both of mine have broken off inside the tank (hence, no fuel level for the past year). I was going to use a capacitance type sensor from Fuel Safe, no moving parts. Not cheap though. I'd have to do some work on the NWMP tank to convert it. If I decide to go this route, I'll most likely use the supplied level sensor system and see how long it lasts. Mark mentioned that he's never had a problem with his and he's been running those thanks for quite a few years now.
Flush your engine and a lot of rust will go away. I have used inline screens in the past but I'm not sure that will stop rust unless it is huge flakes.

Do you have a stock fuel gauge? If so Ford uses an odd ohm scale and there is not a lot available aftermarket. These work well if you use an aftermarket Stewart Warner style gauge.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-211-2-wi ... ender.aspx
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
Flush your engine and a lot of rust will go away. I have used inline screens in the past but I'm not sure that will stop rust unless it is huge flakes.

Do you have a stock fuel gauge? If so Ford uses an odd ohm scale and there is not a lot available aftermarket. These work well if you use an aftermarket Stewart Warner style gauge.
Hey Philo! Yup, flushed the engine twice before I broke it down to remove the radiator. Got lots of crap out. Flakes, rust, dark color coolant... just plain yuck.

Yeah, I sort of thought that would be the case with the screens... The radiator looks pretty good (now, after cleaning). I didn't have any cooling problems so this is all preventative, not fixing. I'll pull my thermostat and temp sensors to clean and/or replace if needed.

Yes, I have retained my stock fuel gauge. I'd like to keep it... the 80-86 trucks had a 10-80 ohm system. I found that Fuel Safe makes a capacitance type sensor... which is nice, it has no moving parts to break off. It's not cheap, it's like 110 bucks... I pulled my tank today and found that my sensors level arm had broken off of the resistance wiper.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by philofab »

BajaF250 wrote:I'd like to keep it... the 80-86 trucks had a 10-80 ohm system. I found that Fuel Safe makes a capacitance type sensor... which is nice, it has no moving parts to break off. It's not cheap, it's like 110 bucks... I pulled my tank today and found that my sensors level arm had broken off of the resistance wiper.
Your ohm scale is actually 73-10 Ohms. Mine is an even more odd 16-158 Ohms.

I don't know of anyone that makes senders in that ohm range. Maybe just modify/reinforce a factory sender?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:I'd like to keep it... the 80-86 trucks had a 10-80 ohm system. I found that Fuel Safe makes a capacitance type sensor... which is nice, it has no moving parts to break off. It's not cheap, it's like 110 bucks... I pulled my tank today and found that my sensors level arm had broken off of the resistance wiper.
Your ohm scale is actually 73-10 Ohms. Mine is an even more odd 16-158 Ohms.

I don't know of anyone that makes senders in that ohm range. Maybe just modify/reinforce a factory sender?
Yeah, you're right... I just got off the Fuel Safe page and noth'in! I was misinformed! Crap! I guess that'll be how I'll have to do it... I was so hopeful! :?
Post Reply