Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
- Wrightracing.net
- Posts: 2235
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
- Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
Ya, I have an intercom with 5 headsets for mild stuff and my race helmets that are wired and pumper air inputs for the really fun stuff.
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
The thread has evolved to a curious discussion about soft mounting a cage. Are you guys serious?
Is the thought that quiet and cage can be accomplished??
Easy for the A & B hoops and connect them and leave space between the tubes and the body all for the sake of a quiet ride.
What would be the plan for the front and rear tubes and how to connect then to the frame with poly bushings and still not allow the tubes to touch the body. There is a lot more to the connection of the cage to the frame than some poly bushings.
The result would be the body movement withing the cage and the flexy frame would exacerbate all the movement.
Then there is the issue of connecting the A to A at the roof and at the dash without those 2 tubes not touching the body. How can that be done?
If all that is planned is the A & B hoop and their connection to each other then is it thought that it is a real cage? If so then you are talking about the typical Jeep sport cage and it is well known that they are sub standard for safety and vehicle protection. That is what I have on my Jeep. All mine does is keep the windshield from our heads on a tip over. The vehicle will be totaled as shown on thousands of pictures on the web.
If one wants a quiet ride the stock is the way to go. Forget the cage and replace the body bushings with stock rubber and get street tires, then keep repairing the body cracks as they appear. And don't forget the additional sound deadening.
Is the thought that quiet and cage can be accomplished??
Easy for the A & B hoops and connect them and leave space between the tubes and the body all for the sake of a quiet ride.
What would be the plan for the front and rear tubes and how to connect then to the frame with poly bushings and still not allow the tubes to touch the body. There is a lot more to the connection of the cage to the frame than some poly bushings.
The result would be the body movement withing the cage and the flexy frame would exacerbate all the movement.
Then there is the issue of connecting the A to A at the roof and at the dash without those 2 tubes not touching the body. How can that be done?
If all that is planned is the A & B hoop and their connection to each other then is it thought that it is a real cage? If so then you are talking about the typical Jeep sport cage and it is well known that they are sub standard for safety and vehicle protection. That is what I have on my Jeep. All mine does is keep the windshield from our heads on a tip over. The vehicle will be totaled as shown on thousands of pictures on the web.
If one wants a quiet ride the stock is the way to go. Forget the cage and replace the body bushings with stock rubber and get street tires, then keep repairing the body cracks as they appear. And don't forget the additional sound deadening.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I think you're misunderstanding Paul...
My plan is a cage that is welded to the body, but where the cage connects to the frame there are poly bushings. This is what Tony has on his truck & what I think the rest of the guys are meaning during this discussion.
Won't be as quiet as stock, but not as much noise transfer as in a metal to metal connection.
And for the record I too have an intercom with headsets and a wired helmet sitting here. I'd just love to not have to use them full time on every trip.
My plan is a cage that is welded to the body, but where the cage connects to the frame there are poly bushings. This is what Tony has on his truck & what I think the rest of the guys are meaning during this discussion.
Won't be as quiet as stock, but not as much noise transfer as in a metal to metal connection.
And for the record I too have an intercom with headsets and a wired helmet sitting here. I'd just love to not have to use them full time on every trip.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
But then again nothing I build will ever run again so for me it's all just dreaming anyway... 
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
ChaseTruck754 wrote:I think you're misunderstanding Paul...
My plan is a cage that is welded to the body, but where the cage connects to the frame there are poly bushings. This is what Tony has on his truck & what I think the rest of the guys are meaning during this discussion.
Won't be as quiet as stock, but not as much noise transfer as in a metal to metal connection.
And for the record I too have an intercom with headsets and a wired helmet sitting here. I'd just love to not have to use them full time on every trip.
Yup, this is it right here.
Paul, My cage is on bushings to the frame, using similar mounts to those that Autofab sells and built off a pontoon. Its plated and welded to the body and both the a pillar (double plating), the kick panel, and through the B Pillar. There was very little noise increase from all of this. That being said, tons, and tons of fatmat, and most body panels including carpet are back in place. That keeps me in a happy place while driving to and from the dirt.....
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I think it come down to what you want out of your ride. It is a give and take and everyone has to make several of those calls. Fat mat, foam, carpet etc isnt cheap, niether is an intercom. To me everything took a back seat to performance with in my budget. I envy the luxury and drivablility of Tony's truck, however, I wouldn't trade it for mine.
I have all the interior sheet metal pulled out, cage tucked as close to the body as possible. Bypasses chacking like a mofo right behind my ear and not a peice of stock interior. All of that doesnt matter as soon as I through head set on. Can talk to my passenger and listen to music all at reasonable levels. IM good with that.
I have all the interior sheet metal pulled out, cage tucked as close to the body as possible. Bypasses chacking like a mofo right behind my ear and not a peice of stock interior. All of that doesnt matter as soon as I through head set on. Can talk to my passenger and listen to music all at reasonable levels. IM good with that.
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
cs_drums wrote:I think it come down to what you want out of your ride. It is a give and take and everyone has to make several of those calls. Fat mat, foam, carpet etc isnt cheap, niether is an intercom. To me everything took a back seat to performance with in my budget. I envy the luxury and drivablility of Tony's truck, however, I wouldn't trade it for mine.
I have all the interior sheet metal pulled out, cage tucked as close to the body as possible. Bypasses chacking like a mofo right behind my ear and not a peice of stock interior. All of that doesnt matter as soon as I through head set on. Can talk to my passenger and listen to music all at reasonable levels. IM good with that.
I could not agree with you more!! The key here is everyone has an opinion, but instead of thinking one persons thought is wrong, its just different...... Everyone has different needs and requirements for the build, and that needs to be kept in mind.
I made the mistake when building my Cherokee of listeing to too many of "this is how it should be...." and those suggestions while valid, were not suiting for my needs. That was one of the reasons that I ended up selling the Jeep. For the Bronco, I made sure my needs/priorities were first.
Just me rambling, sorry to derail. Carry on......
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
Any word yet on solo's WIY cage?
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I spoke with them. Priced in the 3-4k range and supposed to be well labeled and laid out. I don't doubt it. It will be a pontoon style cage with fish mouthed pre-cut ends.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I thin he was meaning when would it be available. Did they happen to say anything on that when you talked to them?
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
Yup.....eta
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I have no faith that Solo will ever release it, it's been 5 years of getting exited to be let down with another delay, guess it was too good to be true.
- Wrightracing.net
- Posts: 2235
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
- Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
Bobby and the Guys just want to make sure it's done right before they sell to the public. Remember that they have to worry about liability issues with a roll cage.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
That being said it needs to sold under the term " sport cage" to negate liability concerns. Even the best roll cages fail but a cage sold under the pretense sport cage does not mislead the buyer into thinking it a saftey feature even though we know it is. The suehappy assholes love to take verbiage in the literal sence so the verbage and pretense it's sold under will define the liability. Also place a warning lable on the packaging that says " the opener of this packaging assumes all liability of this products construction and proper installation and releases solo Motorsports of liability and assumes liability of the vehicles occupants when taking possession of this novelty sport cage. This product ensures no vehicle additional saftey."
Basically read the old news articles about the smitty built law suit and a sharp attorney will be able to duplicate the language limiting assumption of liability. Sad part is it takes money to make money guys.
Basically read the old news articles about the smitty built law suit and a sharp attorney will be able to duplicate the language limiting assumption of liability. Sad part is it takes money to make money guys.
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
It is no different than the WIY cage that they sell for the ranger. I know it would be safe, I have my doubts if it will ever surface.
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I think there's a huge difference. A Bronco cage really needs to be designed around your build intentions since 80% of the cage, is a "cab cage"
- AussieRod
- Posts: 2818
- Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
- Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
- Location: Downunder
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
^^^^ This. That goes for any cage, regardless of vehicle type. Just my $0.02.Travisfab wrote: A Bronco cage really needs to be designed around your build intentions since 80% of the cage, is a "cab cage"
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
The design has been done for months, it's cutting the cab away and sending it out to be duplicated.
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
I am hoping you all aren't tired of this thread yet, and will offer input into this question.
Is it all or nothing with regard to solid mounting vs poly bushings mounting?
It was my understanding that if you solid mounted the cage to the frame, then youd have to solid mount the body as well.
I have been told otherwise, what are your thoughts fellas? Can solid mounting the cage and keeping the body on poly work?
For some background, I am ready to cage my '96, but it sees 80% street miles and I like the street manners.
I need the safety and structural ridigity of a cage, but afraid solid mounting the body would make the truck less civilized than I'd like.
Thanks for any input, opinions, experiences
Is it all or nothing with regard to solid mounting vs poly bushings mounting?
It was my understanding that if you solid mounted the cage to the frame, then youd have to solid mount the body as well.
I have been told otherwise, what are your thoughts fellas? Can solid mounting the cage and keeping the body on poly work?
For some background, I am ready to cage my '96, but it sees 80% street miles and I like the street manners.
I need the safety and structural ridigity of a cage, but afraid solid mounting the body would make the truck less civilized than I'd like.
Thanks for any input, opinions, experiences
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Roll Cages... multiple threads merged
Why not poly mount the cage?DMbronco wrote:I am hoping you all aren't tired of this thread yet, and will offer input into this question.
Is it all or nothing with regard to solid mounting vs poly bushings mounting?
It was my understanding that if you solid mounted the cage to the frame, then youd have to solid mount the body as well.
I have been told otherwise, what are your thoughts fellas? Can solid mounting the cage and keeping the body on poly work?
For some background, I am ready to cage my '96, but it sees 80% street miles and I like the street manners.
I need the safety and structural ridigity of a cage, but afraid solid mounting the body would make the truck less civilized than I'd like.
Thanks for any input, opinions, experiences
My thoughts are once you solid mount the cage to the frame, regardless of whether you do solid or poly body mounts, you are now fixed.
I am super happy with the road noise (or lack there of) with full poly on body and cage mounts. Happy to take you for a spin when you are ready.
