Mike's Ocho Cuatro Bronco build aka White Lightning
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
If you must have a four barrel a Quadrajet would work very well and as much as I hate them Hollys do too.
The main issue with a Holly is you have to "tune" it constantly. The Quadrajet is way more complicated due to the high parts count but once it's right you don't have to mess with it much. I don't believe that q-jets are made anymore and you have to be careful with the wear older ones get, mainly around the throttle shaft.
This was the main reason I was going to retrofit GM TBI on my 82.
The main issue with a Holly is you have to "tune" it constantly. The Quadrajet is way more complicated due to the high parts count but once it's right you don't have to mess with it much. I don't believe that q-jets are made anymore and you have to be careful with the wear older ones get, mainly around the throttle shaft.
This was the main reason I was going to retrofit GM TBI on my 82.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Picked up a Lowrance 540C. Hoping to have it in before the MORE race.


- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
philofab wrote:BajaBronco13 wrote:New carb. Shiny!
Those don't work that great in the whoops....
They don't work that well anywhere........ They come set-up super lean on the idles and the accel pump is almost non-existant.......
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
The original one was the same unit and on the street it felt really good. Never took it off road so I can't say how it handled there but on the street I didn't have any problems at all. I may have to take this bad boy back and figure out which one to get.
Chris
Chris
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Chris, are you keeping this bronco?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Edlebrocks version of the Carter AFB is one of the best carbs for the street as far as maintenance and simplicity is concerned. It just works horribly at some angles and in the rough stuff.BajaBronco13 wrote:The original one was the same unit and on the street it felt really good. Never took it off road so I can't say how it handled there but on the street I didn't have any problems at all. I may have to take this bad boy back and figure out which one to get.
Chris
Even off-road competition Hollys are setup with a special style return from the fuel bowl and very long vent tubes. I don't know of any off the shelf 4 barrels that work for our application. They usually have to be setup by a competent carb shop. Maybe GunIT can chime in?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Nick wrote:Chris, are you keeping this bronco?
Yeah I am. Jay needed cash for school and needs something easier on the wallet to get back and forth from school so I bought it back from him. It'll be in my stable for a while I hope. Going to do a little upgrades here and there and see how it goes.
Chris
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Philo,philofab wrote:Edlebrocks version of the Carter AFB is one of the best carbs for the street as far as maintenance and simplicity is concerned. It just works horribly at some angles and in the rough stuff.BajaBronco13 wrote:The original one was the same unit and on the street it felt really good. Never took it off road so I can't say how it handled there but on the street I didn't have any problems at all. I may have to take this bad boy back and figure out which one to get.
Chris
Even off-road competition Hollys are setup with a special style return from the fuel bowl and very long vent tubes. I don't know of any off the shelf 4 barrels that work for our application. They usually have to be setup by a competent carb shop. Maybe GunIT can chime in?
I have a Holley on the engine that is sitting in my garage. I may end up jacking that one and putting it in the white bronco.
Chris
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
philofab wrote:Edlebrocks version of the Carter AFB is one of the best carbs for the street as far as maintenance and simplicity is concerned. It just works horribly at some angles and in the rough stuff.BajaBronco13 wrote:The original one was the same unit and on the street it felt really good. Never took it off road so I can't say how it handled there but on the street I didn't have any problems at all. I may have to take this bad boy back and figure out which one to get.
Chris
Even off-road competition Hollys are setup with a special style return from the fuel bowl and very long vent tubes. I don't know of any off the shelf 4 barrels that work for our application. They usually have to be setup by a competent carb shop. Maybe GunIT can chime in?
I have my carbs built by John @ C&J Engineering
http://www.candjengineering.com/
He has built the one on my prerunner and race truck. They cost a little more but they run like fuel injection. They will run at any angle and never even a bobble in the whoops.
Here is a pic of the off road carb like you will need, (based on 600 cfm, vacuum secondary Holley) it is about $800. for one like you will need including the sucker pump. Spend the money once and forget it.
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Well turns out my engine in the white Bronco is due for a rebuild, no problem I have a spare 351W in the garage. This should go in with no issue. I'll swap the headers from the old engine onto this engine and call it done.






Last edited by BajaBronco13 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
I also have some Solo Motorsports beams and radius arm. Dropping these off at Speed Unlimited to plate the radius arms and truss the front beam:

Once that's done I'll mount them up. Decided against using the Rancho arms I have and will be putting on the Solo equipment instead.

Once that's done I'll mount them up. Decided against using the Rancho arms I have and will be putting on the Solo equipment instead.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
While you're at S.U. tell him you NEED to get that 4 door in there!!!!!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
The four door isn't getting any love lately Steve but the white Bronco has been getting plenty attention. It now runs under it's open power. We did an engine swap and finally button it up today. Heard it run and happy to say it's on schedule for a Baja run in October.


Stuck the blown engine in the back and will be taking it home. It will eventually be rebuilt and find itself in another Bronco I imagine.


Next on my list is mounting my Solo radius arms and Solo beams with uniballs. Those should be on by the end of August if not sooner.
Chris


Stuck the blown engine in the back and will be taking it home. It will eventually be rebuilt and find itself in another Bronco I imagine.


Next on my list is mounting my Solo radius arms and Solo beams with uniballs. Those should be on by the end of August if not sooner.
Chris
- tcm glx
- Peanut Butter
- Posts: 7309
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
- Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
- Location: Riverside Ca
- Contact:
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
I am really digging the look Chris:


-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Thanks man.
She's got the gangsta lean because I haven't taken out the blown motor out of the back. I'm hoping to borrow my neighbor's engine hoist in the next day or so. I drove her home the other day and I was cruising at 80 mph from Cudahy to Laguna Hills which is about 40 miles or so and she didn't have one problem. Engine felt good and wasn't struggling at all.
I do want to take a look at the spring rates on the coilovers because the front felt way soft. Not sure if that's because of all the weight in the back or something else but she'll definitely be getting lots of attention in the coming weeks.
CP
She's got the gangsta lean because I haven't taken out the blown motor out of the back. I'm hoping to borrow my neighbor's engine hoist in the next day or so. I drove her home the other day and I was cruising at 80 mph from Cudahy to Laguna Hills which is about 40 miles or so and she didn't have one problem. Engine felt good and wasn't struggling at all.
I do want to take a look at the spring rates on the coilovers because the front felt way soft. Not sure if that's because of all the weight in the back or something else but she'll definitely be getting lots of attention in the coming weeks.
CP
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Like cleaning the crap off the body from where the trim or sticker was removed????BajaBronco13 wrote:she'll definitely be getting lots of attention in the coming weeks.
Sorry - but I had to. After staring at Tony and Vic's broncos too much lately it's hard to see another "used and abused" looker like my trucks always are.
Also - when's the 92-96 update clip go on? Those old front ends just look goofy
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
-
BajaBronco13
- Bronco Broker
- Posts: 2434
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
- Location: Orange County, California
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
How dare you sir, how dare you!!!! 80-86 is the best front end IMHO! You crazy hippies and early 70s trucks! I won't be updating that front end of this Bronco.
Talking about the Vin number on the door jamb. CHP called Bronco is good to go for a new vin. A little back story about this Bronco. Back in 1986 it was stolen from the State of Washington. Fast forward to present day, I buy this Bronco, called DMV before purchasing it and the vin was clear.
Head to DMV, DMV can not find a second vin as they always check for one on out of state vehicle is being registered in Cali. DMV sends me to the CHP. CHP says Bronco is stolen and the vin on the dash is from a clean 1984 California Bronco. Turns out my Bronco is actually a 1985 Bronco from Washington, CHP found that out by running the vin on the frame. CHP gives me a picture line up and I pick out the guy that sold me the truck. CHP called and said they will assign it a new vin and it's all good to go. No salvage title, just a clean new vin.
Talk about a headache. Glad that's pretty much over. Now onto the mods!
CP
Talking about the Vin number on the door jamb. CHP called Bronco is good to go for a new vin. A little back story about this Bronco. Back in 1986 it was stolen from the State of Washington. Fast forward to present day, I buy this Bronco, called DMV before purchasing it and the vin was clear.
Head to DMV, DMV can not find a second vin as they always check for one on out of state vehicle is being registered in Cali. DMV sends me to the CHP. CHP says Bronco is stolen and the vin on the dash is from a clean 1984 California Bronco. Turns out my Bronco is actually a 1985 Bronco from Washington, CHP found that out by running the vin on the frame. CHP gives me a picture line up and I pick out the guy that sold me the truck. CHP called and said they will assign it a new vin and it's all good to go. No salvage title, just a clean new vin.
Talk about a headache. Glad that's pretty much over. Now onto the mods!
CP
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Wait a second they had this guys picture on file??? He was from San Clemente right? Was he the one that stole it to begin with? Crazy..
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Guy was from Murrieta/Temecula if I remember right, and I STILL stand by the fact that I should have bought this one and cut it up. But I wanted the motor out of it, so maybe it's a good thing I didn't now. Still would have made $$ though!
As for 80-86 being good looking - you are smoking some GOOD crack Chris! FUGLY - hahahaha
70's stuff on the other hand is when trucks were still real trucks with rugged good looks!
As for 80-86 being good looking - you are smoking some GOOD crack Chris! FUGLY - hahahaha
70's stuff on the other hand is when trucks were still real trucks with rugged good looks!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
- Nick
- Founder
- Posts: 3973
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
- Location: La Habra Ca.
Re: Jay's 1984 Bronco
Kinda like a face only a mother could love.ChaseTruck754 wrote:
70's stuff on the other hand is when trucks were still real trucks with rugged good looks!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."

