June 13-15 Eastern Sierras trip

Races, meets, etc
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by Broncodawg »

No lockers needed, but four wheel drive most definitely. Mellow to moderate wheeling, some go fast, but no rock crawling.
As long as the weekend is not on a major race weekend, I'm in, so you guys pick a weekend and let me know as soon as you can.
Snow pack not a big issue this year :( but will still likely be late May or early June before the big snow drifts are gone.
User avatar
guard
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Contact:

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by guard »

How about June 13-15? I think that's the week after the Baja 500. If that doesn't work, perhaps towards the end of August?
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by yikes »

guard wrote:How about June 13-15? I think that's the week after the Baja 500. If that doesn't work, perhaps towards the end of August?
Best early, as it's hunting season at the end of August. Hunter's don't take kindly to us scaring off the prey.
Mojo
Posts: 444
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm
Bronco Info: 96eb 5.8, custom SS exh, C&T/uniball, Heim R-arms, 35"bajas 4.88s F53 w/SOLO shackle PRPs
Location: Prescott, AZ
Contact:

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by Mojo »

I definitely want to do this but I'll already be up there June 11-23 & don't have a way to take the Bronco with us. Maybe if it ends up on a different date, I can go back up.
bajabuck
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:48 pm
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by bajabuck »

yikes wrote:
guard wrote:How about June 13-15? I think that's the week after the Baja 500. If that doesn't work, perhaps towards the end of August?
Best early, as it's hunting season at the end of August. Hunter's don't take kindly to us scaring off the prey.
I would love to do a Sierras trip. Just throwing some info in to the mix, I believe we are due for a Los Amigos run in August. Past BajaHID runs were:
2011- Aug 12-14 to HPR
2012- Aug 03-05 to HPR
2013 Oct 11-13 Mojave Trail
By my reckoning and by the Godfathers decree (Baja every other year) we are due for another Mexico run. Based on past Mexico runs I assume we could be considering August again. August in Baja works for me since the kids are out of school. Plus Bodypanel will still be around as he is scheduled to return to Wisconsin in late August. So like I said, just throwing some info out there if you guys are looking at some dates for a trip to the Sierras...
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by Broncodawg »

Sorry so long replying, but June 13-15 will work and given the low snowpack we should be able to go anywhere up high!
Let me know if that works for others.
User avatar
guard
Posts: 424
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Contact:

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by guard »

I'll confirm that June 13-15 works for me. Anyone else able to do this?
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by yikes »

I can do that date as well.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras in the Fall!! - Oct 5-7

Post by SteveG »

I think we can do that date but our attendance will be dependent on funds as we have a lot of trips between now and then. I really want to camp in that area so I'll do what I can to make it.

Would we be in a campground or in the forest somewhere? What is the cost? I gotta count my pennies over here!
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by Broncodawg »

Cool Steve, get to raid your cooler sooner than I thought......haha!

I can take you guys out in the woods to the coolest campsite you've seen. Right on a little lake with a beautiful fire ring. Those who prefer moteling can return to Bishop.

Took a group up there for the day once and two of them loved the campsite so much, they came out, got supplies and went back for a number of days of camping.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by yikes »

That sounds perfect Greg.
User avatar
1Hondalover
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
Location: Santa Clarita

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by 1Hondalover »

This sounds great, looks cool, very interesting and could make a spot on the calendar. I'd likely be Bishop bound for a bed at night if nobody gets offended. Can someone post the mileage from the camp spot to Bishop? Is there space to park the truck and trailer if we trailered up?
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by Silverslk »

I'm interested.... but I'd be looking to camp at this beautiful spot you speak of.
drewbee88
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:18 pm
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by drewbee88 »

Silverslk wrote:I'm interested.... but I'd be looking to camp at this beautiful spot you speak of.
I will definitely try to have bronco done and tested for this trip. Especially since y'all are headed up my way! :-)
Broncodawg
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 pm
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find
Location: Bishop, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by Broncodawg »

Takes 4x4 to ge to this camp spot and it is only a couple hundred feet from wilderness. It'll take 30 minutes to get back to asphalt and then about 20 miles back to Bishop so you oughta camp....haha!

This camp is up on Wheeler Crest which is fitting name. Its between Rock Creek Canyon/lake and Bishop for those who know the area. Before we get to the camp we'll take a side trip to eleven thousand feet and an awesome view of Bishop two miles below us!!!!

Hoping you guys can come up Thursday night, go up to Wheeler Crest Friday, then pack up camp Sat. morning and head to the Whites for a higher speed loop. Spend Sat. night in Bishop and do something short sunday, or......just hang at the camp for the weekend, you guys call it.

Not setting anything in stone so we can do whatever the group consensus is. Great to see the interest!
User avatar
1Hondalover
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
Location: Santa Clarita

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by 1Hondalover »

Broncodawg wrote:Takes 4x4 to ge to this camp spot and it is only a couple hundred feet from wilderness. It'll take 30 minutes to get back to asphalt and then about 20 miles back to Bishop so you oughta camp....haha!
That takes me out.....bummer. Guess I'll have to stick to the GoFast trips. Thanks for putting this together.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by yikes »

Again...sounds perfect Greg. Will likely have at least one of the kids and Carmen.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by SteveG »

1Hondalover wrote:
Broncodawg wrote:Takes 4x4 to ge to this camp spot and it is only a couple hundred feet from wilderness. It'll take 30 minutes to get back to asphalt and then about 20 miles back to Bishop so you oughta camp....haha!
That takes me out.....bummer. Guess I'll have to stick to the GoFast trips. Thanks for putting this together.
Bummer, Jim! Maybe the re-do on the Bronco should include some expedition-type mods. You don't have much on the to-do list anyway!


Greg, that spot sounds cool. No go-fast stuff for me, though, as the Explorer will not be ready.

Will we need some kind of passes or permits to camp/wheel? And yes, I'll be sure to put something frosty cold for you in the fridge!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by SteveG »

Greg, can you post a link to a map or coordinates for the campsite?

Is this the trail?

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/wheeler.html
300
Posts: 647
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:44 pm
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by 300 »

That does sound like the trail. I have not been up on this one but have been on the back side of Wheeler Ridge from the Pine Creek side.
Post Reply