SteveG's 84-SOLD!

User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: Steve's 84

Post by BDKW1 »

Ya know, with those fuel lines, I could throw in a complete engine harness.........
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

BDKW1 wrote:Ya know, with those fuel lines, I could throw in a complete engine harness.........
Well then I think I'm gonna take you up on that!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Steve's 84

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:I decided to cannibalize all the fuel lines from a donor truck up at 67 (wrecking yard) and then lay it all out in the truck. I used all the original Ford fittings and it made it much easier when connecting to the fuel tank (in tank pump, stock) and the fuel manifold (again, stock). The reason I went that way is was to maintain as close to a stock configuration as possible. If, in case, I every needed parts, especially in BC, I could have some reasonable confidence I could get them. It made for an easy installation and it runs great!
Whatever I choose, it will definitely use stock parts. While the accumulator would be a custom piece, the pump housed inside would be a stock Bronco/F150 pump which I could find anywhere. I'm all about stock parts....

The really cool part about the accumulator is it would take less than 5 minutes to have the pump out in the event of a failure. It also makes any sort of testing super easy since most of the fuel delivery system is under the hood.
What do you think the drawbacks are to that setup? Obviously one would be space under the hood, but if you have the space for the extra "stuff," It sounds like that's the way to go. Have you ever had to change an in tank fuel pump out on the trail? It is quite the challenge. Accessability is a good thing!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

There's not really any drawbacks other than the initial custom build. It wouldn't take up much space. The accumulators a friend of mine builds for his EFI systems is about half the size of the average car battery.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

Tom, I put in a request for a price for the fuel accumulator. I don't know when I'll hear back on it but I'll let you know. I took a closer look at a couple my buddy had in the shop an man are they cool. One he was installing in an early model Mustang uses the stock mechanical pump to supply the accumulator and a carburetor needle, seat and float to maintain the fuel level in the accumulator. This particular fuel delivery system will use the stock single fuel line from the tank to the pump, a line from the tank to the accumulator and a single high-pressure line to the fuel rail... super simple, super clean and VERY serviceable.

The ECM and all relays are housed in a similarly sized box next to the accumulator. EVERYTHING EFI related is under the hood and easy to get to. I love it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Can you post the cost of the accumulators? If not - PM me as I may be interested as well. I was possibly looking at trying to find a stock one off something and scab it on, but I hadn't looked too far into it yet.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

I'll let you know, Steve. He's also considering having it certified so he can sell them with E.O. numbers (smog legal)... That would be super cool as it is a (perceived) gray area for smog referees and there's a good chance I'll get grief over it when trying to get this thing approved.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Not an issue for me :D :D but good for those like you that still choose to deal with refs, etc. :roll:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

Trust me. I don't want to visit the referee. And I'm still not 100% committed to it for that sole reason. If there was a smog exempt frame that the Bronco cab would fit on I would do a cab and suspension swap....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

SteveG wrote:Trust me. I don't want to visit the referee. And I'm still not 100% committed to it for that sole reason. If there was a smog exempt frame that the Bronco cab would fit on I would do a cab and suspension swap....
If there were a "bigger" bronco that was smog exempt - I'd probably own one. Or I'd do similar to what you said. Heck - I've considered a stretched bronco body on a 70's F series short bed frame. I'm just too lazy :lol:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Steve's 84

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:Trust me. I don't want to visit the referee. And I'm still not 100% committed to it for that sole reason. If there was a smog exempt frame that the Bronco cab would fit on I would do a cab and suspension swap....
There is, it has AZ numbers.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
Silverslk
Posts: 1932
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:13 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Contact:

Re: Steve's 84

Post by Silverslk »

HAHAHAHA. Good call Philo. I have AZ plates on my commuter but hate worrying about getting hassled. I'll be smogging my car again and getting CA plates real soon.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Steve's 84

Post by BajaF250 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Can you post the cost of the accumulators?
I'd really like to see the accumulator as well!
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Steve's 84

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:Trust me. I don't want to visit the referee. And I'm still not 100% committed to it for that sole reason. If there was a smog exempt frame that the Bronco cab would fit on I would do a cab and suspension swap....
It's a drag that your BAR smog guy is so unreasonable. The guy down here gave me no grief at all. As a matter of fact, the guy that was actually doing the inspection was a monkey and gave me some grief over the EGR, stock headers and GT-40 intake manifold and the CA BAR guy shut him down and told him it was all good. Overall it was pretty quick, in and out.
User avatar
BajaF250
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Steve's 84

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:Tom, I put in a request for a price for the fuel accumulator. I don't know when I'll hear back on it but I'll let you know. I took a closer look at a couple my buddy had in the shop an man are they cool. One he was installing in an early model Mustang uses the stock mechanical pump to supply the accumulator and a carburetor needle, seat and float to maintain the fuel level in the accumulator. This particular fuel delivery system will use the stock single fuel line from the tank to the pump, a line from the tank to the accumulator and a single high-pressure line to the fuel rail... super simple, super clean and VERY serviceable.

The ECM and all relays are housed in a similarly sized box next to the accumulator. EVERYTHING EFI related is under the hood and easy to get to. I love it.
Steve,
This sounds like a great setup... can't wait to see it all when you post some pics! What computer will you use?
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:If there were a "bigger" bronco that was smog exempt - I'd probably own one. Or I'd do similar to what you said. Heck - I've considered a stretched bronco body on a 70's F series short bed frame. I'm just too lazy :lol:
Same here on all accounts!

BajaF250 wrote:It's a drag that your BAR smog guy is so unreasonable. The guy down here gave me no grief at all. As a matter of fact, the guy that was actually doing the inspection was a monkey and gave me some grief over the EGR, stock headers and GT-40 intake manifold and the CA BAR guy shut him down and told him it was all good. Overall it was pretty quick, in and out.
Yeah, as I said before, not looking forward to it. I might end up taking it to a different ref out of the area.
BajaF250 wrote:Steve,
This sounds like a great setup... can't wait to see it all when you post some pics! What computer will you use?
The accumulators really simplify things. I really liked the set-up on the Mustang he was working on. That car also has a similarly sized aluminum box next to the accumulator. Pull the lid (one-piece, sides and top) and it reveals the ECM and relays. Exiting the box are the EFI loom, a wire to the positive battery terminal, a ground wire and a hot wire to feed the fuel pump next door... super clean, super simple.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

I've done about 95% of the wiring work that can be done outside of the truck. I'm still trying to decide what to do about fuel delivery. I should just put the pump in the tank as that would be cheapest and this is a super low buck project, but I just don't want the pump back there... we'll see.

Once you strip down the EFI harness to it's bare essentials and weed out non-EFI wires it's actually not that bad. I just might start doing this for fun!
Attachments
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG (197.86 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

SteveG wrote:Once you strip down the EFI harness to it's bare essentials and weed out non-EFI wires it's actually not that bad. I just might start doing this for fun!
Quoting this just because I may have to take you up on this!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by SteveG »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
SteveG wrote:Once you strip down the EFI harness to it's bare essentials and weed out non-EFI wires it's actually not that bad. I just might start doing this for fun!
Quoting this just because I may have to take you up on this!
I should note that by "fun" I meant MONEY!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Steve's 84

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

SteveG wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:
SteveG wrote:Once you strip down the EFI harness to it's bare essentials and weed out non-EFI wires it's actually not that bad. I just might start doing this for fun!
Quoting this just because I may have to take you up on this!
I should note that by "fun" I meant MONEY!

Still a possibility seeing how much I hate wiring. Just get really good at it so you can do it quickly and therefore I get to pay less :lol:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Post Reply