Brian's '96

User avatar
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Posts: 4313
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies
Location: South O.C.
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by robertcrav »

yikes wrote:Bronco got 120 hard off road miles on it this weekend and wanted more.

Image
So sexcy when she's dirtay!!
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Quailhunter wrote:Brian...... Bravo! Great job working through your problems and coming out on top! I hope you and your family had a great time!
Thanks Rob! Was bummed to hear about your trans issue. Hopefully everything will align for the next trip.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Talked to Tommy Lee this morning. Not much can be done over the phone, but sent the pump back and hoping the failure will clearly fall on their end.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Down n dirty parking garage repair. Haha!

Image

Image
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Brian's '96

Post by BajaBronco13 »

ha ha did the same thing to Droopy while entering my downtown LA office. Nice fix B!

Chris
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by tcm glx »

Nice fix B!!! Love it... you could probably charge for that...
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Rmc »

Is your print for solid body mounts fairly accurate?
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Rmc wrote:Is your print for solid body mounts fairly accurate?
Sure is. A few guys have made them from that print with good success.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Rmc »

Cool good to know, I was thinking of making a set before I get too much farther along. Appreciated bro.
cdnbronco
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:38 pm
Bronco Info: 1978 bronco, 3 link front, 4 link rear, fully caged, 460 engine, custom fiberglass,

Re: Brian's '96

Post by cdnbronco »

Brian I'm thinking of having my steering box rebuilt by Tommy. What is your impression on the result of your rebuilt? Was it Worth it and did you install the steering box? Did the rebuilt cost a lot more than a PSC rebuilt?
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

cdnbronco wrote:Brian I'm thinking of having my steering box rebuilt by Tommy. What is your impression on the result of your rebuilt? Was it Worth it and did you install the steering box? Did the rebuilt cost a lot more than a PSC rebuilt?
I'm very pleased with the box rebuild. Tommy plumbed it for the ram, along with the usual list of upgrades. I didn't receive an itemized receipt, but my total cost was $890 shipped for the gearbox and pump. I would assume the box was $500+ of that. It required a new sector shaft, which certainly elevated the price. I returned the pump a week or so ago and immediately received a call to go over the pre-teardown problems; however, I have yet to hear back from them on the root cause. The jury is still out on that. So, although my experience to date has not been the greatest, I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt, given their exemplary track record.

Two weekends ago the box got a really good workout on the Mojave Trail with no issues to report. I have yet to install a ram.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Rmc »

Does Howe do the same stuff? I got quoted by them a few years back but as I recall they replace it all to Saginaw/Chevy? It's been along time.
cdnbronco
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:38 pm
Bronco Info: 1978 bronco, 3 link front, 4 link rear, fully caged, 460 engine, custom fiberglass,

Re: Brian's '96

Post by cdnbronco »

Thank you for the response. I already have a PSC-1405 pump so might be able to save a bit on the rebuilt.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Brian's '96

Post by VintageIronFab »

I hve so many things better to do than be in the internet for a couple straight hours but I just went though all 67 pages of this build and its just killer in about every regard. I have a few questions about a few things but I will have to ask later. Awesome build!
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Brian's '96

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Yeti spotting out on the Mojave Trail:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nd7DV9 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Brian's '96

Post by BajaBronco13 »

User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Haha! Almost blew the turn.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Brian's '96

Post by VintageIronFab »

Brian,
With the basic channel frame of the FSB why not go with a saginaw 4 bolt box? The ability to bolt something up, buy locally anywhere in the US, was that a motivating factor in going back with the "stock configuration"? I think my 175k 96 is on the loose side and before much really starts to get rolling for me it might need a box among other things. There just seems to be so much that can be done with the saginaw models is why I ask.
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Brian's '96

Post by cs_drums »

I'm guessing its cause it would require a new pitman arm as well as new steering shaft and a lot more fab. Time and cost to do the initial change verse performance may not be worth it
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

cs_drums wrote:I'm guessing its cause it would require a new pitman arm as well as new steering shaft and a lot more fab. Time and cost to do the initial change verse performance may not be worth it
Yes. Already knee deep in a factory box. The steering ram will help it survive. Swapping to a stronger box (bigger sector) would be too costly to justify at this point.
Post Reply