Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
What did you guys do for your cross member instead of the massive skid plate cross member thing
SMT Racing: Co-Dog
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
I still have a stock transmission cross member but I removed the skid plate thing since it was all bent up, hung to low, and generally useless.95_Bronco wrote:What did you guys do for your cross member instead of the massive skid plate cross member thing
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
i think thats what im going to do...its got hung up a few times
SMT Racing: Co-Dog
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
I made a new one.




Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
With the kind of hits I am getting I am glad it is still in place. Also it gives a place to mount the engine/tranny skid which does not take big hits but sure has some small ones. If you have a bent one I would recommend gettring a used and not bent replacement. Better to have the member take a hit than the transfer. The only issue I have is cleaning out the desert debris from it after each run
PW
PW
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
Tony had posted some great pics of Mark Keifer's version of a skip plate. Tied the front cross member into the skip plate.
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
where are those pics tony?
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
Made this one a few years back to work with the factory x-member. It's not the quickest to remove, but it takes less than ten minutes and it's very effective.

The pivot boxes tie in now too! but I've never fnished the front x-member.



The pivot boxes tie in now too! but I've never fnished the front x-member.


Last edited by yikes on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
This is a Ranger, but I've seen the same basic design applied to Broncos. Imagine a skid plate attached to the bottom of the triangle shaped brace that attaches to the radius arm pivots and passenger beam pivot.
- Attachments
-
- 0605or_ford_ranger_prerunner_03_z.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 2026 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- magic carpet XLT
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
- Location: santa cruz
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
Is that 1/4 cold rolled?magic carpet XLT wrote:...
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
- magic carpet XLT
- Posts: 145
- Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm
- Location: santa cruz
Re: Bronco Transmission/Transfer Case Cross Member
i used 3/16" and it is all braced on the upside. it can take the full weight without flexing.




