Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
I've got all the #'s to solve this suspension geometry problem but don't have the brains to do it anymore. I'm looking for the length of B to B. I think angle Q is approx 11 degrees (but really not sure how i got that answer
). I've been plugging away at this for hours now and keep getting different answers. I want to know how far the coilover (B) will move if the limit strap(A) moves / bottoms out after 2".
It is 10" further away from the pivot point (0) being the radius arm hiem joint. I think its crazy how i used to have to know this junk for tests in high school/college, I guess i should have paid more attention.hahaha
- Attachments
-
- Untitled.png (13.16 KiB) Viewed 912 times
- Copykat
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 am
- Bronco Info: 1987 BroncoII 4x4
- Location: Manitoba Canada
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Q is actually 3.4°
for 2" travel at A-A travel at B-B is 2.6"
CAD is an awesome tool. No math required.
for 2" travel at A-A travel at B-B is 2.6"
CAD is an awesome tool. No math required.
1987 BroncoII 4x4
- Phoenix0783
- Posts: 658
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm
- Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(
- Location: Bend, OR
- Contact:
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Just take the ratio of the two distances and multiply by how much they move.
OB/OA * 2 = 2.6"
You can flip OB and OA if you want to know how far A moves if B moves 2 inches.
OB/OA * 2 = 2.6"
You can flip OB and OA if you want to know how far A moves if B moves 2 inches.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
aaahh, thanks guys. I acutally had Q of 3.4 from one formula but got the 11 from another. Looks like i need a longer limit strap. Thanks again
-
trophygirl
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 am
- Bronco Info: 2002 Ford Ranger Prerunner
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Your second limit strap is less than .6" longer than the first?
-
trophygirl
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 am
- Bronco Info: 2002 Ford Ranger Prerunner
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Oh, wait. You just want your coilover to travel more...?
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Yes, i need a longer limit strap at A so that the coilover (B) will have more droop.
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
=========Copykat wrote:Q is actually 3.4°
for 2" travel at A-A travel at B-B is 2.6"
CAD is an awesome tool. No math required.
Confirmed from the math handbook . The arc length is 2.606"
PaulW
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Yup - I LOVE the fact that I had to learn it for work when it comes in handy for fun, truck stuff like this. I use cad all the time to solve math problems I lack the brains to do the "real" way...Copykat wrote:CAD is an awesome tool. No math required.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
I am late to the party but a quick scan I didnt see an arc length formula, just answers.
S=R X Theta
S is arch length
R is leg
Theta is angle in radians
S=R X Theta
S is arch length
R is leg
Theta is angle in radians
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
Phoenix0783 wrote:Just take the ratio of the two distances and multiply by how much they move.
OB/OA * 2 = 2.6"
You can flip OB and OA if you want to know how far A moves if B moves 2 inches.
Remember that this works for right triangles only...
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
- Phoenix0783
- Posts: 658
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm
- Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(
- Location: Bend, OR
- Contact:
Re: Arc length / Geometry, Anyone smart?
True, but with that small angle, it ends up being close enough.shockseals.com wrote:Phoenix0783 wrote:Just take the ratio of the two distances and multiply by how much they move.
OB/OA * 2 = 2.6"
You can flip OB and OA if you want to know how far A moves if B moves 2 inches.
Remember that this works for right triangles only...
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
