Brian's '96

User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

The AN port caps for the ram are thumb caps. I called TL to ask if those were correct to block the ports until I could put a ram on. They said yes, but it just seems like an accident waiting to happen. Anyone else using them?
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Brian's '96

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

They may work but I would definately use a "proper" cap. They are cheap peice of mind.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance- ... 4/10002/-1
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

thanks Erik. Yeah, I already ordered some Earl's. TL forgot to send the flow control for a ram as well, so I think this was just another oversight.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Talked with Tommy about the flow control for adding a ram. He said he wound the pump up tight to 1600 psi @ 4+ gph and it should be fine, but to get a ram soon because the pressure is a bit high for the seals without one.

Image
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Rmc »

Looks expensive.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Rmc wrote:Looks expensive.
It was definitely a bit more than originally quoted, but money well spent. Really pleased with the work.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

The pump just blew it's guts out. What have I done wrong?!! I don't know whether to be pissed or doubt my knowledge and ability. When I assembled the system, I flushed it, connected all the lines, made sure everything was clean and free of debris, was careful not to overtighten the fittings, fill the pump, crank it over and turned it lock to lock, rechecked the level, l to l again, rechecked, test drove, rechecked the fluid level and checked for leaks, test drove a second time and it dumped all of the fluid out of the can...I believe. Difficult to see. Fluid is black and nasty. What did I do wrong? I've never had a problem with steering systems in the past using the same routine.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Plumbing goes like this:

[*]Pressure line from pump to box...no brainer
[*]Return line from pump to filter. Filter flow direction is correct. It's new.
[*]Filter goes to cooler, which is mounted in front of the radiator.
[*]Line out of cooler returns to pump reservoir.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by philofab »

Restriction somewhere?

I had a 1600 car I wired once have an odd problem. Customer called me during testing and told me my wiring was junk and the oil pressure gauge did not work. I drove to the test area and checked everything and then told them the wiring was good, the engine did not have pressure.

It ended up that one of the oil coolers had a blue plastic plug lodged in it, apparently someone installed the line without removing it. Maybe something like this happened?
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

philofab wrote:Restriction somewhere?

I had a 1600 car I wired once have an odd problem. Customer called me during testing and told me my wiring was junk and the oil pressure gauge did not work. I drove to the test area and checked everything and then told them the wiring was good, the engine did not have pressure.

It ended up that one of the oil coolers had a blue plastic plug lodged in it, apparently someone installed the line without removing it. Maybe something like this happened?
That's what I was thinking, but I just checked the lines for restrictions and found nothing. In fact, I put an air gun on the pressure side and it blew all of the fluid out of the cooler and lines really quick. Doesn't appear to be any restriction. Check out this picture. There is no way it should have killed the bearing in 1 mile of driving with fluid in there. I suspect there was a tolerance a couple tenths too tight.

Image
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Rmc »

Was that bearing new? That's pretty odd
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by SteveG »

What the heck!? That ain't normal. Maybe they forgot to put the bearing in!
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by philofab »

That seal failed from the bearing failing. I don't think anything you did could have caused this Brian.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Rmc »

I suppose the bearing could have been cocked or dammaged at install but usually universal angular contact bearings aren't too picky if installed flat. Someone did something wrong ( I'm picturing that Jim Carrie part where he's dressed like a ups guy beating the crap out of the frageely box)
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by SteveG »

So? Did you get this fixed?
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Yeah. Stock pump to the rescue. Same procedure, no issues. Called TL Tuesday. The rep said Tommy would call me back, but didn't. The next two days I got the answering machine, so still haven't resolved anything there.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Did I say how much I hate the stock pump? Whiney, gutless and reliable. Bahhhhh!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:Yeah. Stock pump to the rescue. Same procedure, no issues. Called TL Tuesday. The rep said Tommy would call me back, but didn't. The next two days I got the answering machine, so still haven't resolved anything there.
Bummer! I swear, Sometimes it feels like no matter how much love we show our rides, they fight us every step of the way!
yikes wrote:Did I say how much I hate the stock pump? Whiney, gutless and reliable. Bahhhhh!
Ha!
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Bronco got 120 hard off road miles on it this weekend and wanted more.

Image
User avatar
Quailhunter
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:29 am
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed
Location: San Diego,CA

Re: Brian's '96

Post by Quailhunter »

Brian...... Bravo! Great job working through your problems and coming out on top! I hope you and your family had a great time!
Post Reply