cutting and turning
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: cutting and turning
The draglink is what those attach to... the one at the pitman arm.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
d'oh, what are the ones I pictured then?
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: cutting and turning
Tie rod ends... just like all the others. TTB terminology can be a bit confusing.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
so I got some lower spring mounts from a ranger. you can pull them from 2wd rangers also.
now the camber is perfect, I have the tie rods hooked up but it's binding somewhere and won't let me turn lock to lock. Imma dick with it again once he rain stops.
I also plan on removing 1 of the 5 leafs from the rear to soften it up, if this doesn't sound like a bad idea;
there's a thick stiff flat bottom leaf
then the 3 medium leafs
and the long main leaf.
I plan on removing the shortest medium leaf.
then there's 2 overload leafs (leafs 6 and 7), that I think should work good enough if I hit a hard landing, or should I not rely on those?
now the camber is perfect, I have the tie rods hooked up but it's binding somewhere and won't let me turn lock to lock. Imma dick with it again once he rain stops.
I also plan on removing 1 of the 5 leafs from the rear to soften it up, if this doesn't sound like a bad idea;
there's a thick stiff flat bottom leaf
then the 3 medium leafs
and the long main leaf.
I plan on removing the shortest medium leaf.
then there's 2 overload leafs (leafs 6 and 7), that I think should work good enough if I hit a hard landing, or should I not rely on those?
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: cutting and turning
Removing leafs won't hurt, I have many friends with deaver leaf packs ( 10 leafs new) that have removed all but 4. It will work just fine but don't expect to haul anything heavy after u soften up the spring rate.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
update, I ordered a drop pitman arm for the steering.
Also I installed the ranger lower mounts, but the camber was noticeably negative. Although I could have turned the camber cams, I decided to install the original spring mounts raising it about an inch, now the camber is slightly positive with the camber cams maxed out.
Once the drop pitman arm gets here I'm going to drive it for a few days and see if the springs will settle half an inch or so.
Will having the camber cams maxed out cause the ball joints to wear faster? even though the camber is at 0*?
Also, I have been searching but I need more infor on flipping the rear shackle. Looking at it in the truck, assuming it's the same as a bronco, it looks like I can just cut the rivets off and flip the shackle mount, then I would need to reverse the shackle. Any info on our shackle flips would be great.
Also I installed the ranger lower mounts, but the camber was noticeably negative. Although I could have turned the camber cams, I decided to install the original spring mounts raising it about an inch, now the camber is slightly positive with the camber cams maxed out.
Once the drop pitman arm gets here I'm going to drive it for a few days and see if the springs will settle half an inch or so.
Will having the camber cams maxed out cause the ball joints to wear faster? even though the camber is at 0*?
Also, I have been searching but I need more infor on flipping the rear shackle. Looking at it in the truck, assuming it's the same as a bronco, it looks like I can just cut the rivets off and flip the shackle mount, then I would need to reverse the shackle. Any info on our shackle flips would be great.
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: cutting and turning
Yes just grind off the rivet heads n pound em out, flip, drill where needed and bolt in place. Use grade 8 bolts. Post up photos of what u have and are trying to achieve though. U want travel or lift? Your shackles may already face the correct direction.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
currently they are tension shackles.
I've been searching some more, and I may keep that setup for more travel annnnnd instead of removing the bottom leaf I may leave the center section of it and cut off the outer ends? trying to make the pack slightly softer.
I've been searching some more, and I may keep that setup for more travel annnnnd instead of removing the bottom leaf I may leave the center section of it and cut off the outer ends? trying to make the pack slightly softer.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: cutting and turning
The bottom leaf on the truck is the thick, overload one - right? If so, yes, cutting it down to about the width of the spring perch on the axle will keep the 1/2" (or however thick the thing is) of height while still softening up the pack. It also removes load capacity though so don't go try & throw a pallet of concrete in the back of the truck after doing that
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
installed the drop pitman arm, steering still doesn't want to turn all the way, going to look more into it tomorrow.
If anyone has custom junkyard packs, I would be interested to hear what you have and how well it works.
here's my rear pack to explain better, I'll be removing leaf 6.
Is there a chart anywhere that gives specific pound ratings for leafs according to their thickness, width and length?

If anyone has custom junkyard packs, I would be interested to hear what you have and how well it works.
here's my rear pack to explain better, I'll be removing leaf 6.
Is there a chart anywhere that gives specific pound ratings for leafs according to their thickness, width and length?

-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: cutting and turning
No chart that I know of, but it's a progressive rate. As I remember its each individual leaf turned upside down and how many lbs of weight it takes to flatten it, sort of... Well the idea is this leaf takes "x" lbs to compress one inch plus the next leaf and so on. To get an idea of overall spring rate it would be each leafs rate added to the next but they progress in resistance rates due to leaf lengths which make engagement of this resistance at different points in the overall compression progress to the overall spring rate. Does this sound right? I dunno deaver explains it better than I can.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
dang, I guess it will be trial and error with the leafs.
I found my steering issue! there's steering stops on the knuckles. Bolts on the backside and a casting stop on the front. looks like I'll have to pull out the grinder.


I found my steering issue! there's steering stops on the knuckles. Bolts on the backside and a casting stop on the front. looks like I'll have to pull out the grinder.


-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: cutting and turning
If u loosen that jam nut u can crank in or out depending on what u need, it a good idea to use some kind of steering stop before max left/ right of the steering box, your steering box will thank u.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
i'll have to get new bolts, looks like they weld the nut to the bolt from the factory.
- Agui-E7TE
- Posts: 1483
- Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:50 am
- Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear
Re: cutting and turning
I was able to just grind a little bit of material off the knuckle to get it to turn like before. The issue is with the plating which inherently takes up a little more space between the beam and knuckle causing you to loose a bit of steering sweep.
Also, those upper leaves look like they might limit wheel travel but if you're going to haul a lot of weight, you might not want to remove them. If you're not, I'd remove them from the pack to make it a bit softer.
Also, those upper leaves look like they might limit wheel travel but if you're going to haul a lot of weight, you might not want to remove them. If you're not, I'd remove them from the pack to make it a bit softer.
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: cutting and turning
Those upper leaves are an overload or hauling pack. They only come into play and effect the spring rate once the truck is squatted enough to make them contact the bumpers above them on the frame.
If you won't be towing at all you can dump them. If you plan to tow heavy loads or haul a bunch of stuff in the bed they may be worth keeping.
If you won't be towing at all you can dump them. If you plan to tow heavy loads or haul a bunch of stuff in the bed they may be worth keeping.
-
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
- Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
- Location: Springfield, Or
Re: cutting and turning
well, the leafs are softer than what I remember, so i'll leave them.
here's the finished product of this thread. I did the camber and alignment in the driveway and everything looks and drives straight. No problems though I had a bad coolant temperature sensor, boy was that a bitch to diagnose.
Rancho 4" lift springs. They ride really smooth/soft on the street, with single trailmaster shocks and no swaybar.



here's the finished product of this thread. I did the camber and alignment in the driveway and everything looks and drives straight. No problems though I had a bad coolant temperature sensor, boy was that a bitch to diagnose.
Rancho 4" lift springs. They ride really smooth/soft on the street, with single trailmaster shocks and no swaybar.



-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: cutting and turning
It actually looks pretty good, I'm glad u stuck with it. Can't wait for the video footage of getting her airborn. Well done captian.
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: cutting and turning
Looks good!
- Baja
- Posts: 344
- Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 95, 5.8, E4OD, 4:88s Front: 4.5 C&T, 2.5 C/O Rear: Deavers Shackles 3.0 bypass All Threat
- Location: Long Beach, CA
Re: cutting and turning
I know this is old, but I just found it and I have to say that I have spent the last 20 minutes laughing so hard that I was crying.RyanDS650X wrote:NAILED IT! Now go air that beast out and get some video.
