cutting and turning

CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

getting there.

the other one was perfect, this one I may have to reem out the the lower BJ just a pinch, but I think it will work as is.
Image

Image
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

fuuuuuuuck done with the bracing. 3/16" plating is considerably harder to form than 1/8". thank god for my plasma cutter too.
now I just have to swap internals, ball joints, new spindle bearings, and couple u joints.

Whats the deal with calipers? Ford decided to use a different way to attach them on the bronco than on the F150???
1 set requires a bolt to hold the caliper in place, and the other uses the rubber squeeze pins

metal, weld rods and purchase of the ttb, I have $165 total in this set. but i got spare axles too.

Image

Image
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: cutting and turning

Post by Rmc »

2nd times the charm bro. Very nice in comparison, how's the camber angle issue with this set?
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: cutting and turning

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

CPT. SPRINGINGTON wrote:Whats the deal with calipers? Ford decided to use a different way to attach them on the bronco than on the F150???
1 set requires a bolt to hold the caliper in place, and the other uses the rubber squeeze pins
I THINK that is a year difference thing - not F-150 to Bronco difference thing.
User avatar
baja-chris
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: cutting and turning

Post by baja-chris »

Check the ball joint spread vs stock. Don't think your ball joints are going to fully seat.
Jbfab
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Re: cutting and turning

Post by Jbfab »

Did you happen to check for stub shaft/ axle clearance on the drivers beam? It looks like it will be a bit tight. I know mine is but that might be because im using a d50 stub.
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

It was a tight fit for ujoint on the drivers beam, I had to do a little grinding.

I had never thought of measuring the BJ spread... I put the pass side together and the balljoints were perfect, but the when I put the driver side together I measured the BJ spread and it was 3/16 wider lol, fortunately I was able to modify the camber adjuster to slide down another 3/16 and now it's nice and snug.

now I just have to put these bitches on.
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

so here's my problem with the steering,

basically this driver side tie rod can't swing back far enough to bolt up, it binds at the joint in the center. So do I just buy a drop pitman arm or is there another trick?
Image

Image
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

So for the length in which I moved out the lower ball joints, I had moved them out 5/8" and 3/4" as ESHALLBETTER suggested, I did my own crappy mock ups and also agreed with him. Keep in mind I couldn't test fit the parts, without burning more time and money, as I was working at 2 different locations.

It's ALMOST perfect, with the ball joints maxed out, we'll see once the springs settle. I think 7/8" and 1" would be perfect for the 4" Rancho springs.

I'll pull a couple tricks out of my sleeve if I need to lower it a pinch in the front :)

it's sad to think this is an 8mp camera on a $500+ phone
Image
User avatar
Agui-E7TE
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:50 am
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Re: cutting and turning

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I'd suggest a drop pitman arm since it's not too much money. A simple drop pitman arm for a 4-inch lift kit will bring it back into spec. It's worked great on mine with no adverse effects at all.

Camburg did my friend's Bronco with 4.5 inch extended cut and turned beams and it uses a longer drop pitman arm than mine. The tie rods almost look like what you'd see on a solid axle but it's worked better than any other Bronco I've ridden in and it drives great on and off road. I think the front end is strapped at 19 inches of wheel travel and it does just fine through even the biggest of whoops.

A 70 mph landing into a 4ft. hole in sand just managed to shear the bumpstop bolts in the rear but other than that and the hard landing, the truck stayed in one piece and didn't pull to any side when the front end smashed down. It plowed straight and the suspension held up fine. All this with what appears to be a 6 inch drop pitman arm.
Jbfab
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Re: cutting and turning

Post by Jbfab »

No need to pull tricks out of your sleeve to lower it a bit. Use a ranger lower coil retainer instaed of the truck one. You'll loose about 3/4-1" of height. It what i did with my deavers to keep the height down but use the nicer coil. Ill grab ya a photo tomorrow weather permitting.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: cutting and turning

Post by SteveG »

CPT. SPRINGINGTON wrote:so here's my problem with the steering,

basically this driver side tie rod can't swing back far enough to bolt up, it binds at the joint in the center. So do I just buy a drop pitman arm or is there another trick?
What would the dropped pitman arm do? It won't change the fore and aft location of the inner pivot for the driver side tie rod. Are the tie rods bent?
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

thank you Jbfab! What year rangers? just anything with a Dana 35 TTB ??

Steve, the tie rods aren't bent, I'll have to try disconnecting the link from the pitman arm and see if a drop arm will work.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: cutting and turning

Post by Rmc »

SteveG wrote:
CPT. SPRINGINGTON wrote:so here's my problem with the steering,

basically this driver side tie rod can't swing back far enough to bolt up, it binds at the joint in the center. So do I just buy a drop pitman arm or is there another trick?
What would the dropped pitman arm do? It won't change the fore and aft location of the inner pivot for the driver side tie rod. Are the tie rods bent?

Here we go agian lol I love geometry discussions :)
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: cutting and turning

Post by johncharlesb »

I agree with Steve, tie rods. I would loosen up the ends to rotate the twist out and check for straight. I would pull those springs and cycle it before you hit the road. We don't want to lose our Skipper.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: cutting and turning

Post by SteveG »

Rmc wrote:
SteveG wrote:
CPT. SPRINGINGTON wrote:so here's my problem with the steering,

basically this driver side tie rod can't swing back far enough to bolt up, it binds at the joint in the center. So do I just buy a drop pitman arm or is there another trick?
What would the dropped pitman arm do? It won't change the fore and aft location of the inner pivot for the driver side tie rod. Are the tie rods bent?

Here we go agian lol I love geometry discussions :)
Ha! This isn't a geometry issue, though. if the tie rods fit before, they should still fit now. Unless the front end was WAY too much lift.

It could be that the tie rods bent a long time ago and that the front end was aligned (or not) with them bent. The drag link currently on my Bronco has been straightened via a really hard landing at speed. To the untrained eye, it does not look bent....
Jbfab
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Re: cutting and turning

Post by Jbfab »

CPT. SPRINGINGTON wrote:thank you Jbfab! What year rangers? just anything with a Dana 35 TTB ??

Steve, the tie rods aren't bent, I'll have to try disconnecting the link from the pitman arm and see if a drop arm will work.
Yup any ranger or bronco 2, 1984-92 maybe some of the older exploders idk.
Image
Image
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

...so It looks like they changed brake caliper styles in '86+


I looked more into the steering issue. I have 2 different drag links.
The one from the '85- bronco steering is different from the one on my '90 F-150, it may also be an aftermarket link.

I can't find pictures for shit online, so I'll take some pics later. Basically 1 drag link is S shaped and the other (from the '85- bronco ttb) just has a sharp bend at the center joint, which might fix the steering issue.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: cutting and turning

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

CPT. SPRINGINGTON wrote:...so It looks like they changed brake caliper styles in '86+
Figured it was something like that. Good to know the year though.

And do post up pics of the drag links. Don't think they changed over the years, so yes, the one you have may be aftermarket.
CPT. SPRINGINGTON
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm
Bronco Info: 1990 F150, T18 4 speed. C&T, 4"
Location: Springfield, Or

Re: cutting and turning

Post by CPT. SPRINGINGTON »

here's the drag links,

Image

Image

success!
Image
Post Reply