Overdrive transmissions????????

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Overdrive transmissions????????

Post by philofab »

I am stretching the wheelbase. I still plan on ordering a Atlas.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks for the info. Philo are you positive dodge we all pass side drop? I thought Dodge & ford were driver & Chevy was the only pass side one? I'm thinking 70's dodges though, and I've been wrong before.

Still, a drivers' drop is needed so a Ford case (married) would be used. These seem easy enough to find.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Thanks for the info. Philo are you positive dodge we all pass side drop? I thought Dodge & ford were driver & Chevy was the only pass side one? I'm thinking 70's dodges though, and I've been wrong before.

Still, a drivers' drop is needed so a Ford case (married) would be used. These seem easy enough to find.
Dodge discontinued using the 205 before they switched to driver drop. They changed to driver drop in 1994.

The ford 205 can be used but you need an adapter to clock it correctly, and need a GM 32 spline input. I believe Ford used a 31 and something else on the manual trans (most common 205)
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Allison's are no longer than a E4OD and they have D-side drop T-cases..........
Broncotough
Bronco Info: 1990 302 aod. Leveled lift, re gasket engine, resto-mod

Post by Broncotough »

i have the aod in my bronco. Just exactly how does it work?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

The AOD is a light duty transmission and takes a lot to beef it up. It also runs really hot in the Overdrive. They were used on the Mustang, and other 302 vehicles. I am not sure how widely used in a 351w application and never used on big blocks. My AOD ran hot in the sand all the time even with a aftermarket transmission cooler.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

The mechanical (vs other electric) AOD and 700R4 are both early OD trannys. Neither is strong like what is found now days with the electric ones. Both ore good candidates for Early broncos with mild 302s. Don't know if the 351 is appropriate for either. By far the 700R4 is the best choice, IMO due to the lower 1st gear. Look elsewhere for your Bronco..
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419034070.913210.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419034070.913210.jpg (246.54 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Bought this and a Ford 205 today. It's a turbo 400, I figure the 2K I saved not going to a 4L80E will be a nice upgrade in HP for the motor at Danzio. Going to try 4.11s instead of 4.56s to keep some top end.

The whole setup is 39" long from back of the engine to the center of the ujoint. My current setup (M5R2/1356) is 47" which is shorter than an E4OD.

Add the extra wheelbase and I should end up with a decent length rear driveline.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

That will be cool to see how it works. I have seen a couple Ford Class 8 trucks run the T400 and worked really well but they ran 5.29 to 6.0 gears.

I like the idea of the better driveline angle. I wonder how that length compares to the C6?

Keep us updated.

Then the debate is between the C6 and the T400! :-)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I've talked with Steve Culhane a bit at length about the th400 vs. c6. In the same application (call it a mild-ish 400 HP Prerunner) they cost about the same to build ($3500-$5k from Steve) for a middle of the road build (not TT parts but a strong trans). Steve said the TH400 will win out cost wise in the long run due to not needing to be serviced/rebuilt as much as the c6.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

The 4L80E is only 1" longer than the Turbo 400, and you can run an adapter to put either on a Ford engine. Olliges runs a T400 in his Class 8 and in the TT. Some of them are Reid cases with a SBF bell and others are just HD cases.

Turbo 400s are way easier to find in fixed yoke for 2wd applications!

FYI, A T400 for a TT costs about 20k. Everything is billet and 300M, plus they have a 6 pinion planetary with a lower gear set.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Wrightracing.net wrote:I like the idea of the better driveline angle.
Angle I don't care about soo much.... other than I was maxing out the double cardan on droop. Cutting the rear frame rails for more up travel too. 26+" of rear travel will be possible....
Wrightracing.net

That was my concern at full droop on the Bronco when I was cycling the rear with my longer shackles.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

philofab wrote:26+" of rear travel will be possible....

Unless your stretching it, that's pretty useless..........
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

BDKW1 wrote:Unless your stretching it, that's pretty useless..........
I am stretching the wheelbase... just not the body, like the Greer Ramcharger. Figure it will end up around 112".

Kinda like this one:

BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

I know that one pretty well. It has 24" and wheel travel is not the limiting issue.
mattt
Bronco Info: 69 Bronco custom

Post by mattt »

Looks like you already made the decision, but someone on page 1 posted up about the 4R70W. If you get a 4R out of an AWD 5.0 Explorer, the 205 will bolt up if I'm not mistaken. The 4R is a "light duty" trans vs. the c6/E4OD trans family, BUT, take everything you hated about the AOD and it was fixed in the 4R70W. It is the next generation AOD, which is why AOD builders use all good parts that come from, you guessed it, a 4R70W. If looking for a 4R, shoot for a 1998 or later as there were additional improvements after '98. The AOD-E and 4R70W are the same family, but the 4R is a much improved trans. There were only a few years the AOD-E was offered...mid 90's.

4R gears are 2.84 1st gear, can't remember 2nd, 1.00 3rd, and .70 O/D. A big improvement over the 2.40 1st gear in an AOD. I know you mentioned not wanting to have a trans controller, but everyone...I mean everyone that has used the top shelf standard controller, now called US Shift(formerly known as Baumanator) is very happy with it.

As I said, probably doesn't matter now, but the 4R is worth a look...bolts up to engine and transfer case. I've heard about some big hp being run thru built ones, and respectable #'s thru well built stockers. When(not if) my AOD dies, I'm going to the 4R. The best thing to come along and help AOD's live.....the Lentech valve body. Hands down it was the best upgrade I did to my AOD. There is another guy doing the same valve body upgrades for AOD, he goes by the username SilverFox on Clickclickracing.com. Clickclick is the best board out there for Ford O/D trans info. Best of luck on the build.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Philo- can't you theoretically stretch the wheelbase to ~110" with the E4OD? Push the front 1" forward thanks to uniballs and if I remember correctly didn't Matt say you can push the stock gas tank back ~4" by relloating the rear cross member allowing the rear axle to be pushed about the same distance.
Wouldn't that add more than enough drive shaft to cycle 20+ on a linked rear?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

dtbback wrote:Philo- can't you theoretically stretch the wheelbase to ~110" with the E4OD? Push the front 1" forward thanks to uniballs and if I remember correctly didn't Matt say you can push the stock gas tank back ~4" by relloating the rear cross member allowing the rear axle to be pushed about the same distance.
Wouldn't that add more than enough drive shaft to cycle 20+ on a linked rear?
I'm sure you could. You can get 20+ inch of travel by lowering the rear of the trans a little bit and notching the frame rails for up travel. It's a lot of angle on the driveline though.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Broncotough wrote:i have the aod in my bronco. Just exactly how does it work?
=======
Here u go
How AOD works?
The source for AODs info has always been Lentech , but sadly the company has been sold and here is the result. No tech data at all
http://lentechautomatics.com/tech-info/
Wiki said
In 1962 Ford began working on a new type of automatic transmission that would emphasize fuel economy and driveability. The new transmission was built around the Ravigneaux planetary of the "X" transmissions. Where many transmissions had a fourth gear added on as an afterthought, Ford's new transmission was designed with a fourth gear integrated into the gearset. Because it was based on the X transmissions, its gear ratios from 1-3 were the same with the fourth being .67:1. The transmission featured a split-torque application for third gear as well as a lockup in the torque converter. The XT-LOD was initially abandoned in 1966 but design began again in 1974 as a result of rising gas prices. The project was shelved with a design that lacked a dampener in the torque converter but after the project was revisited a dampener ultimately made its way into the final design. The transmission was introduced when Ford started to downsize its full size line in 1979. Initially called XT-LOD (Extension Lock-Up Overdrive) its name was changed when revisited in 1974 to FIOD (Ford Integrated Overdrive) and then to its final name in 1979, the Ford AOD transmission.
Here is another writeup for the AOD
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/200 ... ture5.html
= = = = = PW comments:
So it has a lockup converter and it is done with a quill shaft that when getting into 4th gear the quill engages the drive plate and the converter is removed from the drive train. The result is a cooler running trans since the TC is nor generating heat. Of course the bands are still subject to slippage, creating heat especially if they are worn. The biggest issue is the tall OD which results in constant shifting from 4 to 3 to 4 as one drives down the road. This is especially true for a heavy vehicle like a Bronco and happens even more if an aftermarket shift kit is installed. The result is the herky jerky drive and a short life tranny.
So, what the Mustang drag racers do is to add a solid input shaft and delete the quill and the result is the TC is functional in all gears and the thing runs hot all the time. These beefed up trannys are good for plenty of HP and a substantial expense.
The AODs usually come with Mustang or other small car gear sets which is poor for using off road. The Bronco and big car version comes with the lower 1st ratio from the 4R70W which is what to look for If one wants to do a swap to get an extra gear.
The next generation transmissions followed with a much better and stronger transmissions. AODE then 4R70W then 4R75W, then on to the 5 speed versions. Ford offers a 10 speed unit for 2016. I bet that won’t fit a Bronco??.
Read Matt’s writeup on what to do with your AOD.
Paul